Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:
how did you tell your family you were pregnant?

I thought this would be fun! How did you tell your mom/dad/sister etc that you were having a baby? DId you do it differently for baby #2 or #3? Did you make it a big deal or just tell them over the phone?

Advertisement

MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: how did you tell your family you were pregnant?

with DD (our first)... we couldn't tell my parents in person so I called and told my brother (who lives next door to my parents) and asked him to pick up a bouquet of flowers... I called my mom that evening and while I was on the phone with her, my brother brought in "Congrats on becoming Grandma and Grandpa" flowers It was a hit!
We just told hubby's parents in person.

With this one - I did the "I'm the big sister" tshirt. Had her wear it to our 4th of july picnic so hubby's whole family found out then and my parents had been visiting the weekend before so I put that on dd after she woke up from her nap. I thought it would be very obvious... but my parents just overlooked it and we had to point it out - not exactly what we were going for! ... then we had my mom take a new family picture of the three of us with dd wearing the shirt, and I sent that in an email the the rest of the family we wanted to announce to.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Nothing special either time. Just, "Hi Mom (or whomever), I'm pregnant."
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
LillyIvy
Registered Users
seller

Still haven't told my mom this time, but with DD I just told her over the phone. What a perfect time for the phone to cut out too Reminds me of the slogan "Dropping calls on purpose because we can"
Old 02-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, with DH's side... We put Colin in a t-shirt that read "I'm the BIG Brother!" We were there for 3 HOURS before DD finally stood up and said, "Did anyone read Colin's shirt?" They all just thought it meant he was getting BIG!

So my idea didn't go over well as I planned...

With my sisters, I talked to both of them but didn't do anything special. I told them early on. One sis b/c I needed to get my mat clothes back asap and the other b/c I needed to talk VBAC with her and she works in OB.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
615marsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcess721 View Post
with DD (our first)... we couldn't tell my parents in person so I called and told my brother (who lives next door to my parents) and asked him to pick up a bouquet of flowers... I called my mom that evening and while I was on the phone with her, my brother brought in "Congrats on becoming Grandma and Grandpa" flowers It was a hit!
We just told hubby's parents in person.

With this one - I did the "I'm the big sister" tshirt. Had her wear it to our 4th of july picnic so hubby's whole family found out then and my parents had been visiting the weekend before so I put that on dd after she woke up from her nap. I thought it would be very obvious... but my parents just overlooked it and we had to point it out - not exactly what we were going for! ... then we had my mom take a new family picture of the three of us with dd wearing the shirt, and I sent that in an email the the rest of the family we wanted to announce to.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had the t-shirt thing not go as planned! It really made me think DH's family was just totally oblivious to details...
Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

With my first I just kind of told my parents. With my second I sent a grandparents' day card from "Anna and a Little Fishy". They got it. With my third I just told them. With my fourth, I put my third in a "I'm going to be a big brother!" shirt and they got it. With this little man... I posted ultrasound pictures on Facebook and on our joint photobucket account after 9 weeks and waited. It took my ILs FOREVER before they figured it out but my mom knew before I posted anything, even though we live 800+miles apart now.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

I found out on a Thursday and kept it quiet to dh until Sunday, my birthday. He went away for the weekend for a Cousins Weekend at the cabin; I was supposed to go with but "had the flu" (). I bought a Taggies snuggle blanket and tucked the pregnancy tests inside. When he got home from up north, he saw it sitting on the table, picked it up, and the tests fell out. He was shocked!

We told my mom and step-dad by saying, "Hi, Grandma" and "Hi, Grandpa" after hugging them when we met them at a restaurant. My mom didn't even notice, but my step-dad did, . He started smiling and we all just looked at my mom and she was like, "What?" My step-dad told me to say it again, but I just started crying. She rethought what we said and thought I was just calling her that because they were running 20 mins. late!

We followed that same type of suit with the rest of my family, just saying, "Hi auntie", "Hi, great-grandma", etc.

We told dh's parents and sisters by sending them a onesie in the mail. The onesie to his sisters said, "All I want for Christmas is my auntie!" and the one to his parents said, "If Santa doesn't bring me it, Grandma will!" His parents were so happy! One of his sisters called us in tears. It was a nice surprise for them to get.
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
dirtmagnets
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With our first two, we just told. The third was announced at DS#2's 1st birthday party - we bought a Big Brother pin that he wore at the party.
We haven't announced this one yet, but my mom's birthday is this weekend - we got a frame with spaces for four pictures, put in one of each of the boys and used fall themed scrapbook paper to make an insert for the other slot that says "Little Pumpkin October 2010".
dirtmagnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
BlueLily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS we just called and told our families (or more likely screamed!). Both DH's parents and mine live 1000 miles away (in different directions) and we didn't have plans for visits anytime soon. Whenever I get pregnant with #2 I plan to do the "I'm going to be a big brother" shirt. We do Skype (video phone) with both of our parents so we'll just wait and see how long it takes them!
BlueLily is offline   Reply With Quote