Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
MommyKeller0107
Registered Users
seller

Re: how did you tell your family you were pregnant?

We haven't told DH's family yet... but we made announcements (they are posted in here somewhere) and we'll mail them out.

My mom has known with EVERY pregnancy, and asked me point blank. I can't lie to her, so every time she asks I just say "ugh, YEAH why don't you let me surprise you once?!"

That's about it.

With my DS, I was only 16.. but even then My mom asked me.
DH (then BF)'s parents had just gotten home from a long trip, and he told them I was coming over the next day to look @ pictures & stuff from their trip, and to talk or whatever. His mom I guess thought it was weird that I wanted to come over, and asked him if I was pregnant. He couldn't hide it, and while they were complaining, she said "your brother would NEVER do something like that!" and he said "well, you might want to call him....." So, it took the heat off of us some. Then, our parents told everyone else.

Advertisement

L0Ri K

MAMA T0 KADE (1/07)
LEVi (09/10)!

:: & RUBY ♥ ::
MommyKeller0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKeller0107 View Post
We haven't told DH's family yet... but we made announcements (they are posted in here somewhere) and we'll mail them out.

My mom has known with EVERY pregnancy, and asked me point blank. I can't lie to her, so every time she asks I just say "ugh, YEAH why don't you let me surprise you once?!"

That's about it.

With my DS, I was only 16.. but even then My mom asked me.
DH (then BF)'s parents had just gotten home from a long trip, and he told them I was coming over the next day to look @ pictures & stuff from their trip, and to talk or whatever. His mom I guess thought it was weird that I wanted to come over, and asked him if I was pregnant. He couldn't hide it, and while they were complaining, she said "your brother would NEVER do something like that!" and he said "well, you might want to call him....." So, it took the heat off of us some. Then, our parents told everyone else.
You made announcements for your pregnancy?! How cute!! I would love to see it!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

with my son, i went to my parents and showed my dad the test. then my mom came home and wondered why hubby and i were there, knowing that he had to leave for work real soon. i let her worry for a few min (she worries about everything), then showed her the test. she looked at it for a min, and was like "so, when will i babysit?" she was so excited =)

with this baby, i had found a "im a big brother" t-shirt at a thrift store. i wanted my son to wear it to tell everyone that way, but he wouldnt. so we all went to my moms work, and i had him hand her the shirt. my mom and her coworker read it, the coworker was like "ahhhh!", my mom took a min, looked at me half smiling, half confused, and was like " youre pregnant?"
then we did the same thing to my dad. he quietly read the shirt, he reads "im a big bro----, youre pregnant?" =)
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
kidpsych2be
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom knew we were seeking fertility help so she was prepared when we told her. His parents we told over the phone after the first u/s and they were elated. Everyone else found out via Facebook when I posted my FRER.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
kristawithak
Registered Users
seller

Here's all the things we've done (pic heavy!)

With DS1:
-Gave my parents a framed picture that had something in it that said "Baby _____, coming August 2008!" (I hadn't had an U/S yet)
-Gave my in-laws the grandparents' Willow Tree thingies
-Announced to everyone else by putting this picture as my Facebook profile picture:

-When we found out we were having a boy, we put this picture as our FB profile picture:

This time:
-I used this box and then a picture of the box to tell DH and then my parents:

-And then we made this video to tell everyone else (people who didn't know already), we posted it on FB after our first u/s.
-And when we found out the gender this time, we posted this picture of our DS:

I tend to go a little overboard... :-)
kristawithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #16
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

None of our family has ever been excited when we've gotten pregnant, so it's never fun for me to announce a pregnancy. I usually call or e-mail.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #17
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my DS, we just made the phone calls and told them that way. My parents broke the news to everyone at Thanksgiving. At the time, we lived on teh west coast and our families were on the east coast.

For my DD, we had brunch with my parents and gave them a gift from a recent vacation. We told them that "The baby picked it out". They both instinctively turned toward DS and thanked him. I stopped them and said "wrong baby!" and they both got it right away. DH just called his parents and told them the news the day before. We announced it to our extended families through our Christmas cards that year.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
grimesy104
Registered Users

With baby #1, my mom was pregnant also, and so we sent them a copy of "Father of the Bride part II." I happened to be on the phone with my mom when it got there in the mail, and she was all, "oh thanks, we LOve this movie." and I was like "uhh...don't you get it?" and then she got all weepy and excited and was like "i thought maybe but oh my gosh REALLY?"

With this one, we planned just to call the folks... then we happened to look at the calendar and realized that that weekend also happened to be grandparents day. So we called them, wished them a happy grandparents day, and told them that we had a gift for them, but it hadnt arrived yet. And that in fact, it wouldnt be here until May. And that it was actually another grandbaby. We actually got to do that phone call FOUR times, cause we had to call each of his parents (theyre divorced), and when we called mine, my dad was out so my mom was like "oh my gosh, you have to call your dad on his cell and tell him the exact same way you told me, that was too cute."

Then we broke the news on FB with a pic of the hubs reading "The Berenstein Bears and the New Baby" to our daughter, posted casually to both of our walls with a caption that read "We're excited." My friends picked up on that little subtlety a bit better than his did.
grimesy104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took a cell phone photo of the pregnancy test and texted my mom and MIL with: "Hello there, grandma!"

Hubby'd already guessed we were pregnant, and I interrupted a video game session to stand in front of the TV with said positive test.

letterpress printer + graphic designer open for business - my portfolio
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
mamatje
Registered Users

When I told my mom about dd her response was 'don't expect me to answer to grandma'. I haven't told her about ds but my sister knows and my mom is friends with her on facebook where I have my u/s as my profile photo so she probably figured it out.

MIL screamed down the phone with dd, we told them over Skype this time, actually I think dd told them. They were a little calmer this time!
mamatje is offline   Reply With Quote