Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Hope75
Registered Users

Wool Mamas, Need Help!

Hi Ladies,

I'm attempting to make some wool longies for my DD and I am looking at different types of wool yarns online... I'm not sure what I need!

Do I need 100% wool? Or is a wool blend OK as long as it is a certain percentage wool? I see some are wool/acrylic/silk blends, not sure if those are OK?

Also, silly question but is alpaca wool ok?

I'm a newbie to working with wool...

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Hope75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wool Mamas, Need Help!

100% wool is best. I think if it's at least 90%, it should be okay as some interlock is 95% wool and works great, but I think for yarn 100% would probably work the best. I believe alpaca wool is fine, but I'm not positive. I typically stick to yarns that are popular on Hyena Cart such as Cestari. I like that since it is strong and doesn't pill much. If you have some characteristics you want in wool, ask and we can recommend certain kinds. The stronger wool yarns are better with active toddlers.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Hope75
Registered Users

Thank you! I'm not sure what I want as I am new to using wool and longies... my DD is almost 8 months and just starting to crawl so strong for active babies would be best, and one I can use lanolin on for a diaper cover is what I'd like also.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

Make sure what you get is NOT superwash wool. If you don't mind solid colors www.knitpicks.com has great prices...I've used the first one listed in the wool yarn category (Wool of the Andes I think it is) and it's very nice and doesn't pill much.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Hope75
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Make sure what you get is NOT superwash wool. If you don't mind solid colors www.knitpicks.com has great prices...I've used the first one listed in the wool yarn category (Wool of the Andes I think it is) and it's very nice and doesn't pill much.
OK, thank you! What's wrong with superwash wool?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope75 View Post
OK, thank you! What's wrong with superwash wool?
From what I've read it doesn't take lanolin very well so it's not very leak-resistant.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
PrincessOnica
Registered Users

Superwash has been chemically treated to prevent shrinkage and to remove the lanolin. It will not work for longies/soakers. If you are into knitting Ravelry has a GREAT soakers/longies community as well. And, heck, it's just plain addicting.
PrincessOnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
browneyeNYmomma
Registered Users
seller

I also have used the Wool of the Andes in worsted weight from www.knitpicks.com. I thought it was very inexpensive and it seems to be holding up very well. I think I used almost 5 ball of yarn o make longies for my dd. Actually I am about to order some more yarn to make her another pair! Good luck
browneyeNYmomma is offline   Reply With Quote