Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
is my body giving up nursing?? Help!

My dd is 9 mo. She has been eating solids since 7 months, and still nurses 4-5 times per day. I have dropped to about 10 lbs below my normal weight (but this happened when her sister was this age, too.) Lately it seems like my breasts are starting to shrink (especially the L, which is the one she doesn't favor, but I do start her on it more often to try to build it up.) Lately she has been fussy after nursing, and I am wondering if my supply is dropping. I don't feel as full as I used to. I still get the tingling sensation during letdown sometimes, but not always.

What should I do? Drink more water? Eat oatmeal? Pump to see how much of a yield I get? Do I do this after I've fed her? If I don't get much do I pump more consistently to try to up my supply? Thanks for any info....

Advertisement

yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: is my body giving up nursing?? Help!

I hear your concern. THat is a valid one at that age of DC - I'd say cut back on the solids and offer a nusring session more often. If her output is good, then she's getting 'enough' KWIM? --- (links to helpful people are in my siggy )
Old 06-20-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
emice
Registered Users

Solids and distractibility can interfere with nursing at this age.
The main thing you can do to increase supply is Nurse more. Try a quiet spot, and nurse before offering solids.
good luck and hang in there. you can do it.
call LLL if you need more help.
emice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #4
momo5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After a few months of nursing the let down and full feelings are not as prominent. I had the same fear with my first and it was my milk supply balancing with him, but he was fine, and this was at 3 mos, not even with solids. More nursing is the best option to build up the supply. She is also at a big growth time so your supply may need to catch up. I am nursing number 5 and have noticed with each one the "sensations" we come to rely on are not as strong go with what baby tells you. Drink lots of water and hang in there your body knows what to do.
momo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Ashwin'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: onebumatatime!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers View Post
I hear your concern. THat is a valid one at that age of DC - I'd say cut back on the solids and offer a nusring session more often. If her output is good, then she's getting 'enough' KWIM? --- (links to helpful people are in my siggy )
Yup!!