Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Pumping (nursing) question(s)...

Yesterday I busted out the Avent Isis pump I got (got it from a very nice mama on here). There were no directions so I looked the up on the Avent page. I found out that I had put a piece in wrong which made it totally unusable. I'm glad I caught the problem now and not down the road when I try to use it for real, because I could have seen myself in tears wondering why there was no suction at all. Anyhow ... it's all better and I tried a few pumps of the handle out just to see how it works... OH. MY. GOD. My nipple is still sore from the like 3 squeezes of the handle!

1) Does pumping always hurt like that?! Or could it be because my nipple is flat and not sticking out like a nipple should (only one side is like that)??

2) Please tell me a nursing baby doesn't feel like that. (DD#1 was not breastfed so I have no idea)

*holds onto her boobs for dear life*

Advertisement

ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping (nursing) question(s)...

Well I cant attest to pumping and the feelings that go with it, but nursing doesn't hurt - if/when it does it's because the latch is bad or somthing else is 'wrong' KWIM? Good luck
Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
susnrob
Registered Users
seller

My twins were premies. I exclusively pumped milk for them for the first few weeks while they were in the NICU. I do remember that in the beginning that pumping was slightly painful, but the more I pumped it became easier and less painful. It wasn't that bad though. Once I started nursing it was a little uncomfortable for a while, but not horrible. I think it is just something that your body has to adjust to. I think a little discomfort in the beginning is normal, but if it is really bad then your baby is probably latched on incorrectly or your pump breast shields might not fit properly.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nursing hurts a little in the beginning just because your nipples aren't used to it, but it quickly goes away(unless there are issues) and it doesn't hurt at all..there are times I can't even tell whether my DS is nursing or not.. Pumping doesn't hurt me unless I do it a bunch...

Several things could be going on...first off is it a manual or electric. If its a manual just don't squeeze all the way and see if that helps, if its an electric most models have a comfort adjuster somewhere...
Secondly, you may not have the right size flange(the plastic part that goes around your nipple). You need one that fits on that right...now how to find that fit, I'm not sure..
Thirdly, it could very well be the flat nipple thing, but I would highly doubt it. Just make sure your completely centered in the pump or it will hurt for sure!

However babies mouth's are sooo much better....
Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There *MUST* be something wrong, girlie. Maybe not the right size for you or maybe because of the nipple issue, IDK.

All I know is that my Avent ISIS is super duper comfy. The only time it's not a totally comfortable experience is when I go full blast gungho right off the bat instead of a bunch of small, quick pumps to get the milk flowing.

Oh, and after you get over the initial learning curve, nursing doesn't hurt at all unless you have thrush or something. I can't even feel DD anymore. All I feel is the rush of the nice oxytocin that makes you feel calm....

Last edited by jaceraden; 06-20-2007 at 01:31 PM.
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the same pump...and sometimes if you get your breast in there just right it takes a really hard suction...take it off and reposition till it doesnt hurt....it should just clamp on lightly not tightly!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Ummm, bf'ing for me alway hurt for the first 1-1 1/2 wks. (sorry, just being honest ) until my nipples got used to it BUT my kids were all super-suckers so I don't know if it's like that for everyone. They do say that it shouldn't hurt if the baby is latched on correctly but that wasn't the case for me. After the initial couple weeks though, it was fine. As far as pumping, it might be different once your breasts are full.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

So I'll go with a hope for the best (no pain), but expect the worst (some pain). And if it's pain that makes me want to cry and remove my boob then somethings going wrong..... ??
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Pumping can be pretty painful, excpecially if you have never nursed or pumped before. I have never used the Avent so I cannot tell you about it. When I first started pumping my nipples actually bled! Good Luck!
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nursing is way more comfortable than pumping is (I EP'ed for the twins). Also you have to take into acct that you are pg and that could be causing some sensitivity. What it feels like to pump now could greatly differ once you give birth!

Don't be scared mama!