Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #61
lombardowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Discrimination...

I wish I was as bold as you guys are. My in-laws are not comfortable with my bfing so whenever we're with them, I have to go to the car to nurse. It is soooo uncomfortable to sit in a car when it's 30 degrees outside and have people walk by looking at you like you have two heads, so we've just quit going anywhere with them until ds weans. They will even go to their bedroom if I try to nurse him at their house, and they leave our house if I breastfeed while they're here. My younger brother is also "grossed out" by breastfeeding, so my parents don't like it when I breastfeed there either.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #62
pillowbottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh my, I'm so proud of you mamas that stuck up for your rights and your babies!!! I'm so paranoid about someone saying something to me that when I'm out in public, I usually do go into the car or into the bathroom, because I have large breast and my son does not like being under a blanket. But, I should not have to feel that way. I mean, when you bf your providing nourishment to your child. I'm really getting fed up of "hiding " when I'm in public.
pillowbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #63
nmo
Registered Users
seller

As sad as this sounds I have always gone into the bathroom to nurse my babies, because I live in one of the only states in the US that doesn't have laws that protect a mothers right to BF in public. Every time I have to nurse standing in a bathroom stall I am fuming mad. I wish I would have the guts to BF in public. Maybe with the next one. You ladies are amazing!!
nmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #64
bean3
Registered Users
seller

I lived in Texas when I was nursing my DD and never had a problem. I'm wondering what the response would be when I start nursing DS in Michigan.

Anyone have links to the breastfeeding laws so I can be prepared?

I love that they are now providing more comfortable areas for nursing, should that be your preference. However, I like that we are meeting the general public in the middle by using a reasonable amount of discretion when nursing. In my mind, I never gave people a reason, but some people will find a reason to b*tch about nothing.

I had it down to a system where my daughter would be latched on and nobody could see a thing. I wore larger shirts or used her sling to help be discrete. I got looks but nobody that actually said anything, except for my step-son. He is my age and had a HUGE problem with ME nursing, but he didn't mind it when his wife's sister would nurse in front of him....go figure!

People are acting like we CHOOSE to nurse in public. We don't choose to have babies who feed every 1-2 hours, they just do. Seriously, how are we ever supposed to get anything done on a 1-2-hour feeding cycle if we don't NIP?

If I nurse, I will nurse at will and in public. If I decide to formula feed, I will do the same.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #65
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean3 View Post
I lived in Texas when I was nursing my DD and never had a problem. I'm wondering what the response would be when I start nursing DS in Michigan.

Anyone have links to the breastfeeding laws so I can be prepared?
I'm in MI, and I've never had ONE problem with either of my kids. The law here does not specifically protect breastfeeding, but you are exempt from the indecent exposure laws. I know I've seen someone post w/ a link to the bfing laws in each state. Perhaps the LLL International website may have some info? Anyway, as I said, I've never had anyone say anything negative to me, give me dirty looks or ask me to move/stop. Perhaps I am casual enough and my nursing shirts provide enough "camouflage" that many people don't even know I am nursing...or perhaps I look confident!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #66
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oops double post!

Last edited by kezoo; 02-12-2007 at 08:37 PM. Reason: double post
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #67
Tara62
Registered Users
seller

first of all bravo to you mamas!
second i was very shy with niping emily...honestly, i don't think i did it except at lll meetings and that wasn't nip really

this time, i'm so glad i live in a state that has a bf protection law and i've been a-niping all over the place EXCEPT in front of the small amount of family and the one friend i have like i can't do it in front of people i know but strangers, oh yeah

and dh was very protective with emily "you wanna go to the car?" but now i told him he has to defend me if anyone confronts me

and i was nursing carrie on the floor in a dept store on sunday, i was really out of the way, against the wall, it was nice and quiet a lady came out of the restroom, looked down, saw me, gave a disgusted look, i didn't see, so my dh GAVE HER ONE RIGHT BACK! and she humpfhed off he told me about it later i was WOOHOOING for him! i don't know what i would have done if i had seen it

but i have the law printed up and in my diaper bag so I'm ready to say "You wanna call the cops or shall I?" if someone bugs me! *laugh* I doubt a cop weould do anything but it still strikes me as funny!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #68
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I'm in MI, and I've never had ONE problem with either of my kids. The law here does not specifically protect breastfeeding, but you are exempt from the indecent exposure laws. I know I've seen someone post w/ a link to the bfing laws in each state. Perhaps the LLL International website may have some info? Anyway, as I said, I've never had anyone say anything negative to me, give me dirty looks or ask me to move/stop. Perhaps I am casual enough and my nursing shirts provide enough "camouflage" that many people don't even know I am nursing...or perhaps I look confident!
Thanks for that bit of information! I'm definitely not one to keep quiet, so I rather doubt I'll have a problem. I'm all about function. If my kid needs to be fed, breast or bottle, I'm going to do it right where I am. I refuse to sit in a hot car in the summer (or a cold car in the winter) to make someone else comfortable. I will, however, be as discreet as possible. I just think it is a great way to teach our kids understanding of other people's viewpoints and how to respect them. I understand that some people, for whatever reason, don't like to see nursing in public, so I try to do it discreetly enough so it is not in-your-face obvious.

I did worry about getting up to Michigan and having things be different. In Austin, anything went! I was afraid things would be different up here, but it does not sound like it. Yeah!
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #69
carleyc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Didn't read the responses, but I'm appalled that you would get that reaction anywhere now especially from a mama at a homeschooling co-op! I've never had anyone say anything about my BFing in public except my DH who routinely says, "Don't you want to take himn out to the car?" or "Are you really going to feed him HERE?" To which I always not so politely tell him that I can feed the baby wherever I darn well please and he better get over it quickly!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #70
catilina
Registered Users
seller

I have nursed everywhere (and I do mean everywhere! Lowes/Home Depot, airports/planes, hunched over the carseat in bumper to bumper traffic outside Vegas New Year's weekend, church, restaurants, high school basketball games...) and never once received a rude comment, or even so much as a nasty look. I live in (ultra-conservative) Utah so I for sure thought by now I would have had to deal with it at least once. I am just waiting for someone to say something to me, though. I would love to be able to educate someone on the benefits, bliss, joys, rights (choose fitting adjective) of breastfeeding, where ever and when ever my baby is hungry!!!

And I agree with previous posts, why is it perfectly acceptable to have boobies hanging out all over our society (ads, movies, music videos, current fashions, etc) but it is disgusting to use them to do exactly what they were made for (breastfeeding)?

Way to go, mamas, for standing up for your right to naturally nourish your children!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote