Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #71
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Discrimination...

Brava to all you mamas who stand up for yourselves!!!!

NIP is hard for us - DS likes to have the tasting menu for his meals - appetizer, stop to socialize, salad, look around, palate cleansing sorbet. . .all the while expecting mama's boob to just hang around.

When we need to nurse though, we will. Nobody's ever confronted us, but usually DH is with me and we just carry on conversation and ignore everyone else. We're ready for any confrontation though - we know our legal rights. And forget our legal rights for a moment - when the boy needs to eat, he needs to eat!

Advertisement

gabby's_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #72
Emma S
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just came across this post and WOW am I shocked at what you guys have been through, honestly.
I dont care if people look or comment, and I quite expected it, but have had NO bad comments from the public and I have nursed in some very public places (including a crowded rush hour bus through central London, and the underground (metro) as well as without a care in the world in restaurants, shopping malls, even standing up in a queue waiting for baby photos to be taken. I have had little old ladies coming up and congratulating me on many an occassion.
The only one who complained was my grouchy ex husband when I went to pick up my daughter from a restaurant and he was taking ages to finish his dinner, but as I said, if the baby is hungry.....

maybe people were not happy, but were embarrassed to say anything?

emmax

www.thehollowoak.co.uk
www.hyenacart.com/thehollowoak
Emma S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #73
Mamalicious
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by herself75 View Post
A little old lady gave me a nasty look in church once. then the priest gave a homily all about how Jesus was breastfed an we are never closer to God than a baby at the mothers breast.

I've never had anyone say anything to me about nursing in public. Only place I really do though is in a restaurant. Every other place I go to has a nice nursing lounge. I guess I'd rather stretch out on a rocker or couch than on a mall bench.
Mamalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #74
mamandeyuri
Registered Users

My Mood:

Lol, I once nursed in a restaurant w/a canopy and our waitress "forgot" about us. Free food!!!

Family...when I had dh1 everyone came to see him. My aunt and a few other relatives said- "Oh, he must be hungry where's his bottle..."
I replied, He doesn't have a bottle. I proceeded to untie my hosp. gown..
The room got quiet as they read the big bold letters on the crib- Breast
The room cleared out very quickly....lol
mamandeyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #75
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never been asked to cover up or leave, but I was at the commissary one day with DH and DD and she got hungry and was screaming so out of respect I took her in the restroom to change her and while i was here I went ahead and got her on and fed her a bit until she was satisfir=ed enough to go back out. I had a few women say AWW how cute and ask about her.
WELL.... this one woman (about in her mid40s early 50s) came in and was googling over her and asked "Is she sleeping?" I said "No she is eating".... the lady gave e alook like I was nuts and goes "Oh she one of THOSE babies"

OK... what the HELL does that mean ? Shes not an alien just getting the best and that the booby juice ! Which she cant get enough of BTW !!

I carry around one of the little things that Parents Mag put out about the laws in each state for BFing. I opnly over up to get her latched then off with the cover. If I was ever asked to leave a place for feeding my child they would either have a VERY pissed daddy a lawsuit or both !
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #76
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was at the Delta Airline nurse-in with 4 other mamas that showed up. One lady was nursing her newborn and the airport police (which are real police officers - I actually asked and I think that pi**ed them off, but you never know - I didn't want to be bullied around by a rent-a-cop LMBO) threatned to arrest us for indecent exposure and disorderly conduct. When we showed them the "Right To Breastfeed in Public: It's the Law" card with the Texas State Law on it, our reply from one of the police officers said that it was HIS interpertaion of the law that he goes by...basically saying if he doesn't like something, he'll arrest and then let the judge work out what the law actually says/written (he actually didn't even read the card, he told us if he sees a nipple exposed for any amount of time, it's indecent exposure - which in Texas only applies to gential parts, and breast are not genitals - so he was in the wrong and needs to go back to the books and read). Long story short, we left because they said we needed a permit to stand there and talk with eachother and feed our babies. Come to find out from their own legal department, we did not need such permit and regrouped with 30+ mamas with babies a couple of weeks later on while the same officers stood to the side and couldn't say a word
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011

Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; 06-20-2007 at 09:07 PM.
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #77
ecoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
airport police (which are real police officers - I actually asked and I think that pi**ed them off, but you never know - I didn't want to be bullied around by a rent-a-cop LMBO)
Just an FYI, most "rent-a-cop"s are real police officers. in most cases the only difference is that when "rent-a-cops" are off duty, they are considered civilians and have no powers that a regular officer has (cant carry a gun, no arresting powers, etc...) but when on duty, they have every power a "real" officer has.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #78
babygirlsmom1005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoria View Post
Just an FYI, most "rent-a-cop"s are real police officers. in most cases the only difference is that when "rent-a-cops" are off duty, they are considered civilians and have no powers that a regular officer has (cant carry a gun, no arresting powers, etc...) but when on duty, they have every power a "real" officer has.
I was making sure they were not security guards for the Airport and were real police officers....yes I know what you are saying, my uncle was a police officer (he is gone now) aswell as many of my personal friends (which I talked to this with them and they said this guy was way outta line).

Which they were on duty police officers that were based at the airport - which is really makes this situation sad....a international air port that sees multitudes of diffrent people and they have the police there suppose to be protecting & serving and they don't even know the law and go by what they "feel".
Marcie wife to Mike mom to Madeline 10/2005 , Marshall 4/2009 and surprise #3 due 9/2011

Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; 06-20-2007 at 10:25 PM.
babygirlsmom1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #79
VanIslander
Registered Users

My Mood:

That lady is a freakin' weirdo! And so are all these other people who've been bothering you mamas for NIP. I seriously didn't realize there are that many people who are offended by mothers nursing their children . WTH do they think breasts are for? I always assumed everybody knows babies are supposed to be breastfed. I guess I'll find out soon enough if there are a bunch of anti-BF weirdos here too.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:06 AM   #80
kealoha
Registered Users

I've had a few occasions where I've had people say things to their friends such as, "Doesn't she know there's a bathroom right over there where she should be doing that?" (This was said at the zoo) Another time, I was at the beach and a man just stood there staring at me, then called his teenage son over to stare, then called his wife over, who very loudly said, "That's disgusting!" and pulled them away.

I was at the county fair with my mom one time and was feeding my 4 month old. I usually use a blanket, but it was over 100* that day, so I didn't. My mom asked, "Aren't you going to cover up? Everyone can tell what you're doing!" My response was, "Oh, and If I'm completely covered by a BLANKET in 100* weather, no one is going to know what I'm doing? Besides, who really cares if people know I'm feeding my baby?"

I was talking to my younger brother one time (I think he was 18 at the time) and I was nursing my daughter. He told me, "You know, it really makes me uncomfortable when you breastfeed her around me and I think that's really sad. What kind of society do we live in that I'm uncomfortable with you feeding your baby while you talk to me? I shouldn't be uncomfortable and I think it really sucks that I am." He then went on to say that he hopes that when he has children that his wife feels comfortable nursing their children wherever and whenever she wants to because that's the way things should be. I couldn't have been more proud of him than I was at that moment.