Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you have to pay for church nursery?

Our church has free childcare for many activities and the services. There are some times though when childcare is charged for. You can either pay for that or find another babysitter. There are a few things that childcare is not provided for. Having been a part of a good sized nursery, you cannot understand the stress of volunteer only providers and everything else that comes with running a nursery unless you have done it. It is usually the moms that do not help out in the nursery at all that complain the most and their kids cause the most problems. If you (general you) see an issue with your church nursery, why not jump in and help change it? That is what being a part of a church is all about....helping others. If you don't think childcare should be charged for, why not bring it up to whoever and volunteer to be the first one to do a service for the other parents for free?

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Our church doesn't charge for the nursery during service. They have volunteers. If they don't have any/enough volunteers, then some of the parents have to volunteer or all the kids stay with the parents during service.

For bible studies and those type of things, some of the teenage girls will watch the kids and the parents will donate some money to them.

ETA: I used to help out with the church nursery- before I got all big and pregnant I agree with the other ladies- it'd end up being the same ladies who volunteer and the some of the kids who were the most out of hand were from parents who complained and never helped out. I think that if every parent who has a child that uses the nursery volunteers every once in a while, then there wouldn't be as big of an issue of burnt out nursery workers or scrambling to find nursery workers.

Last edited by Wanderlust; 02-17-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
Clare378
Registered Users
seller

I had to really think about this one. Our church is so small that there isn't childcare offered except during services.

BUT when I was in high school I used to babysit for a lot of the Jewish families, including the Rabbi's family. A couple times they paid me to babysit at the Synagogue for evening services, in case families couldn't find child care. It was some of the smaller Jewish services that occurred during the week and for which children did not participate (similar to Ash Wednesday, perhaps). I don't know if the families paid or if it came from the Synagogue's treasury.
Clare378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our church has one lady who runs the nursery, organizes volunteers onto a schedule, and fills in the gaps when volunteers aren't available. Most of the mommas are pretty good about stepping up and volunteering so that there is someone there during bible study, etc...or if there are just a couple LO's during bible study, they may just move the study into the nursery room so the kiddos can play and everyone can have class. And of course, there's me...who is in the nursery every week during church because DD won't let me leave her without crying until she pukes everywhere. I'm not a formal volunteer because we live an hour from our church and can't guarantee attendance every week, but I often end up being the only person in there if there's only a couple kiddos in the room and we happen to be there. They also know that anytime they need help in either the nursery or toddler room, I'm happy to come help out if we are at church that day.

Last edited by smashncakes; 02-17-2010 at 12:59 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
tripmomplus1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, we have a rotation. If you are a regular who needs the nursery for service then your name goes on a list and you get put on the schedual for an upcoming Sunday. We try to keep the schdual pretty regular so people know when they are supposed to be working, this way if they can't make it that week then can call ahead to the other moms and try to get someone to cover.

For weekday events or bible study we always get one of the homeschooled teenagers to come help and we pay them in donuts or bagels LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
tripmomplus1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, we have a rotation. If you are a regular who needs the nursery for service then your name goes on a list and you get put on the schedual for an upcoming Sunday. We try to keep the schdual pretty regular so people know when they are supposed to be working, this way if they can't make it that week then can call ahead to the other moms and try to get someone to cover.

For weekday events or bible study we always get one of the homeschooled teenagers to come help and we pay them in donuts or bagels LOL
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm the nursery coordinator at my church. We have 8 paid staff workers. We get paid directly from teh church and provide care for any and all church functions (including bible studies). Parents never pay for our services.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotemp View Post
Most churches I have attended (we move around a lot) do charge for weekday event childcare. They have to hire babysitters b/c it is too difficult to find volunteers.
:this:

Our church does charge a small fee for non-service events. For larger events they build it into the overall fee to join the event, for smaller events they do ask for a small fee. They also pay their sitters during those hours and that's what the fee goes towards, it's hard for us to get volunteers during the week.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

We have only a small need for nursery during Mass. We offer childcare only for 9:30 Mass on Sundays. The other 4 services on the weekend do not have childcare. It is a volunteer position and we ask anyone who uses it to take a turn volunteering. However, a lot of the time people who need childcare only have very young children and they haven't yet had the background checks/fingerprinting and Protecting Gods Children classes that all adults in our Parish are required to have before they are allowed to volunteer with children. So, it does tend to be the same group of adults. We do usually have at least 1 teenager as well who needs volunteer hours.

For non-Mass events, childcare is fairly random. Some events have childcare (usually provided by teens with an adult supervising), but probably at least 1/3 of the events don't have childcare. Most everything people bring their kids and they wind up in the gym with the older ones in charge. Childcare is free and the Parish has a budget for things like snacks for the kids and volunteers.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
2Pinks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Sunday morning services have free childcare in the nursery (along with Sunday School) but for other functions - like my Thursday morning bible study, we do pay for childcare. We have two ladies who take time out of their day to watch our horde of children and its worth it to us to pay the $5 each so we mom's can have an hour and a half of peace.

We tried to do the volunteer thing - but it was like pulling teeth to get anyone to actually sign up! Same with Sunday School - nobody wants to put in the worth but everyone is more than happy to drop their kids off. Its really sad and I feel for our Childrens Ministry coordinator as she rarely actually gets to hear the sermon since she is always covering for someone who hasn't shown up.

~*~ My Biz ~*~
2Pinks is offline   Reply With Quote