Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Gizmo516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
KNitters- I need your help!

I am in the midst of trying to make a pair of striped longies...I just learned to knit in December so I'm a beginner, however I did finish a pair of capris a couple of weeks ago (my first project) with no major issues. However this pair is giving me fits. It seems that where I change colors (at the beginning of the round) I am getting a huge (and very noticeable) ladder that continues up the work. It doesn't happen until after I change colors and I think it might have something to do with the way I am doing it (mainly just picking up the new color and knitting with it, and trying to carry the yarn). I have searched and searched for answers but ladders seem more common with DPNs and most of the answers apply to them, where I'm using a circular needle.

Does anyone know how to avoid this when changing colors??

TIA!!

-Rach

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
NoellaBelle
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: KNitters- I need your help!

When I do stripes, I twist the yarn together a few times and pull a little on the old color (not too much). I also do a jogless jog to make the changes less noticeable. I'm guessing the laddering is that the old color isn't twisted with the new and taut enough, which is giving too much space between your stitches.

Here are a couple links that may help.

http://www.socknitters.com/kickback/joglessjog.htm

http://www.purlbee.com/rochefort-cha...the-round.html
Old 02-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
deputy465
Registered Users
seller
seller

You are knitting in the round....so the rounds aren't going to match up they are jsut going to keep stacking.....however there is an easy little trick. Google jogless stripes. or maybe I can link it for you

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/200...s-stripes.html

Let me know if this doesn't help!

Brittany

Stitching Up A Storm
deputy465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Gizmo516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know all the jogless jog tricks, this has nothing to do with that though because it happens with the FIRST color change (like I did the waistband and then switched colors and Boom! ladder developing). I'll look at the first 2 links in a minute, though- it definetly has something to do with the color change itself and how tight (loose?) it is...

-Rach

Last edited by Gizmo516; 02-19-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Gizmo516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Lyttlewon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is it tension where you are changing? I had a hard time when I first did stripes because I was leaving the ends loose so I started to weave in the ends while I was knitting and it added structure to the spot where I changed and it improved drastically. I still adjust the tension where I change but that is mostly because I am a fiddler LOL.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I'm having problems with that I just pull it extra tight and like PP said, weave in ends as I go. The last pair I made I just didn't worry about it, let it ladder, and re-tightened it all when I finished them. They look fine now.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Gizmo516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyttlewon View Post
Is it tension where you are changing? I had a hard time when I first did stripes because I was leaving the ends loose so I started to weave in the ends while I was knitting and it added structure to the spot where I changed and it improved drastically. I still adjust the tension where I change but that is mostly because I am a fiddler LOL.
Yeah it's gotta be where I am changing colors that is the problem, I was just picking up the new color and knitting with it (and knitting in the end for the first 3 stitches), but obviously that isn't working, and the ladder was so big it couldn't be pulled tight later (I tried), probably it was like 1/2 inch wide and UGLY! Can I still carry my yarn up the work with the method you linked to? I'm assuming yes...it should just lock it in and give me something to pull against, right?

Thanks ladies! I've had to rip these longies out twice now because of this problem and I'm getting irritated!

-Rach
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Lyttlewon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure since I don't carry I cut and weave. When you do your Jogless jog do you do it on the second round after you change colors?
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Gizmo516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyttlewon View Post
I am not sure since I don't carry I cut and weave. When you do your Jogless jog do you do it on the second round after you change colors?
I guess if I cut and weave like the link you showed me I don't have to carry the yarn...duh LOL I have tried both the slippling the first stitch of the 2nd round and picking up the old color from below and knitting the 2 together methods of jogless jog...TBH neither worked particularly well, which do you do?

-Rach
Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Lyttlewon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Join the new color, knit one round weaving the old end as I go, second round JJ the first stitch.