Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
deann1979
Registered Users

Summer diapers question for DFW babies...

I am trying to get some more diapers for this summer. Baby will be about 6-9 months old. I am worried about the diapers being too hot for the summer. Anyone have any suggestions on ones that are lighter or more breathable? We are currently doing prefolds and covers...Thanks!

Advertisement

deann1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
rebekahruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Summer diapers question for DFW babies...

oh. that's a hard question...I'm pretty new and I had the same thought. My guess would be to stick to AIOs that have cotton or bamboo inners. There are a lot of options out there for a trimmer fitting daiper that I am going with. My thought is if it covers less it will be cooler.
rebekahruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
deann1979
Registered Users

Thanks for the input! I am thinking the AIOs too. My sister took her daughter to the park in a cover and prefold in Austin the other day when it was in the 60s and she came home with a bad diaper rash so I am worried about when it is so much warmer this summer!
deann1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
rebekahruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD gets irritated when we don't have a wicking material next to her skin. But that all depends on your baby. So velour or micro fleece is a must for us. Fortunately I make all of our diapers but you can find some great ones on etsy.com
rebekahruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
MOMMY2LOTSAKIDS
Registered Users

My Mood:

When DD was little I just did prefolds with no covers in the dog days of summer (during the day at home, obviously!) She wore wool at night, all year long, and BSWW covers when we went out. I didn't CD DS last summer, and I'm hoping he will PL before the hot months. I'll have the new baby in cloth by then, so we'll see what works best for a newborn in the heat.
MOMMY2LOTSAKIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Mommy2Zara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm wondering this as well.

I was hoping to get some wool shorties and skirties by the summer and use wool over my prefolds and fitteds. I've heard that is the cooler, more breathable option
Mommy2Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm just going to do prefolds with flip covers. I'm still not ready to do cloth outside the house full time. My diaper bag is packed enough as it is with a 3yr old who refuses to potty train
Old 04-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

South of you in Houston.. We go coverless as much as possible in the summer, in LL flats or Bamboozle fitteds, if we put a cover on, it's always wool. Just think about it - you'd burn up wearing a raincoat (PUL) in our TX heat, but not in tropcial weight wool, or even heavier wool for that matter. What do you think all the cycling jersey's are made of? Yep, wool!

You also really don't need a wicking/stay dry layer, when you use a completely breathable diapering solution, because the moisture isn't held next to your baby's skin.

Last edited by BigSamsMom; 04-02-2010 at 08:08 AM.
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

like pps said, coverless natural fibers (prefolds, fitteds, etc) or with wool or fleece if you need a cover. last summer was our first in cloth and dd had rashes every.single.time i had her in a pul cover or diaper...the natural fibers let the air circulate and the wool and fleece let the diaper breathe and stay cool rather than wrapped up and hot. once we switched, dd's bottom would actually feel cool to the touch when i changed her and her skin didn't feel waterlogged or clammy at all. hth!

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do fitteds (Thirsties and a few GMs) and prefolds. No covers around the house. Pockets and AIOs for going out. But since I am SAHM we're almost always home.

I'm in Arlington.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!

Last edited by Michelle_M; 04-15-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote