Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
quirkbean
Registered Users
Formerly: ShortStackCustoms
seller

My Mood:
Whats the best way to prewash A LOT of naturals?

DH and I FINALLY got our wash/dryer. So we have a front loader now.... but the drying still isn't hooked up (long story) So what my question is...

Normally when I pre wash a HUGE chunk of fabric thats 2-4 yards, I have to wash it on hot, then dry 2-3 times, and it still seems to need more washing. And that was when we had a top loader. Do you think I could get away with cutting 21X21 and then pre washing? Or should I do more like 22X22. I just wanna get the most out of my fabric

PLUS, we don't have the dryer working (need to get DH's butt in gear to get it hooked up!) can I still pre wash, then hang dry? Or is that a bad idea... I just have SOOO many knits, and naturals to pre wash

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
lisastwins2002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whats the best way to prewash A LOT of naturals?

I've always washed on hot and dried on hot, then repeated it a few more times. I try to prewash 3 times just to be safe.

Just curious, what dryer were you using before? Is the new dryer a new one or a used one? Either way, it seems odd to me that it would take 2 or 3 cycles to dry completely. Maybe you need to stop it periodically and adjust the fabric if it's twisted. I wouldn't suggest cutting the fabric up because I'd be afraid it would shrink funny or too much to be useful.

I have a Sears portable top loader and I've washed a 3 yard piece of OBV and a 5 yard piece of OBV with no trouble. We have commercial dryers in our laundery room and they dried well, even when the dryer wasn't really full enough.
Lisa, SAHM to twin DD's 1/2/02, DD 6/13/07, b/g twins 4/5/09, girl #5 arrived on 5/26/10!!
*** Be my SwagFriend ***
lisastwins2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Piper's Closet
Registered Users
Formerly: ewalk585 **DO NOT FSOT~ADMIN**

My Mood:
Re: Whats the best way to prewash A LOT of naturals?

i agree i would not cut to small, i would also suggest taking a trip to the laundry mat as it is really important to dry with high heat to know that it is not going to shrink more once made.
Piper's Closet is offline   Reply With Quote