Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:
Pregnancy Nutrition Compared to Non-Pregnancy Nutrition

compared to your non-pregnant/non-nursing lifestyle?

I didn't care one bit with my first pregnancy- gained close to 40lbs.
Followed the Brewer Diet with my twin pregnancy- probably would have gained right on track or slightly less than recommended if I would have gone full term.
This time, I am much MUCH more lax than my twin pregnancy, but more than my first. I want to start being more strict to the Brewer because of how GREAT I felt with my last pregnancy, but I need to get the motivation to start cooking a little more again.

When I'm not pregnant or nursing, I am not very 'into' nutrition. I always pick whole-grain over white, leaner meats, organic when I can afford it, fresh veggies and fruits... BUT, I wouldn't say no to McDonalds, or cookie dough icecream on more than one occasion in a week. Not saying that we eat McD's and crap all the time, but it's not out of the question on occasion. I always eat better when I am nursing too, otherwise I feel like I have morning sickness for the first few months after birth.

Advertisement

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
TeganFlannery
Registered Users

Re: Pregnancy Nutrition Compared to Non-Pregnancy Nutrition

I'm going on three years pregnant or nursing, so it's all the same I'm better about taking my supplements when I'm pregnant versus nursing.

I've gotten so used to all the extra calories, I wonder what will happen 3 years from NOW, when I stop nursing finally??? I'll blow up like a blimp!
TeganFlannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
mrsgrantis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My "diet" laways ges out the window during my first trimesters becasue I can barely keep anything down! I do try to eat healthy though.
I've been really bad this time around with my supplements though, need to get back into that!!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Sophiasmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

well I seem to always eat alot of food wether or not I am pregnant or nursing
But after 2 losses I will say I really am great about taking my vitamins and Ive probably tripled my protein and fruit/veggie intake since getting pregnant.
Dont get me wrong, I like my pizza chocolate and lots of ice cream I jsut overall try and make better choices like a salad with dinner or eggs instead of panckaes KWIM?
when I am not pregnant I am bad about getting water in at all and I hardly eat protein and fruts and veggies.. Im my house my childen eat fruits like its their candy so I always feel bad eating it.. since getting pregnant my DH buys double the amount we normally would.. esp melons, blueberries and oranges
DD#1 5/21/04 ,DS 11/30/06 , DD#2 6/29/10 & 2 Angels
Sophiasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
flutterbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: stephanie23
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmomma View Post
well I seem to always eat alot of food wether or not I am pregnant or nursing
But after 2 losses I will say I really am great about taking my vitamins and Ive probably tripled my protein and fruit/veggie intake since getting pregnant.
Dont get me wrong, I like my pizza chocolate and lots of ice cream I jsut overall try and make better choices like a salad with dinner or eggs instead of panckaes KWIM?
when I am not pregnant I am bad about getting water in at all and I hardly eat protein and fruts and veggies.. Im my house my childen eat fruits like its their candy so I always feel bad eating it.. since getting pregnant my DH buys double the amount we normally would.. esp melons, blueberries and oranges
Me too!! But when I am pregnant I remind myself that by me eating it, it is going to one of the kiddos. With my first 2 I was nutrition retarded But with baby # 3 and 4 I did better. this time i have pretty much eaten more fruit/veggies than I did with any of the other four and I have taken my vitamins almost everyday. the only time I miss is if I start gagging on them. I am terrible about nutrition all together otherwise including nursing .
Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You ladies just reminded me that I should be taking MY vitamins... I've never been good at taking daily pills- even on a 10 day antibiotic, I will likely forget 3-4 times. I vow to start taking them from tonight on out!!!

I just printed out all my Brewer information and daily check lists (to do once a month to make sure I am keeping up with the right amounts. It's basically:

Milk/Milk products-4 servings
Calcium Replacements-as needed if exchanging soy for milk
Eggs-2 a day
Protein- 6-8 servings/choices
Dark Greens- 2 a day
Whole Grains- 5 a day
Vit C Foods- 2 a day
Vit A Foods- 1 a day
Fats and Oils-3 a day
Liver- once a week (I'll be skipping this)
Salt to taste
Water to thirst
Supplements as needed
AND snacks...

There's a lacto-ovo and a vegan and a twins pregnancy list too, but I don't mind the meat- I do a mix of the full diet and the lacto-ovo diet. It says that if you eat all of these things each day, you will not need a prenatal because you are getting enough from your diet, which I like! I'm going grocery shopping tonight and need to really figure out what things I will eat this pregnancy and how to incorporate this much food into a day without exploding! There are also situations to where you should be adding another 300 cals a day and an extra 20g protein (such as pregnancies less than a year apart, smoking, underweight, previous preterm delivery, multiple gestation). The research is amazing on this though- it says that if you eat the brewer diet throughout your 2nd and 3rd trimesters (I don't think I know anyone that could eat like this in their 1st w/ morning sickness), that you really don't have to worry about your placenta not functioning properly if you go overdue because of how well it will have developed. I seriously felt AMAZING when I ate this way last time... Must. Eat. Better...

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
Old 02-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Sophiasmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I just printed out all my Brewer information and daily check lists (to do once a month to make sure I am keeping up with the right amounts. It's basically:

Milk/Milk products-4 servings
Calcium Replacements-as needed if exchanging soy for milk
Eggs-2 a day
Protein- 6-8 servings/choices
Dark Greens- 2 a day
Whole Grains- 5 a day
Vit C Foods- 2 a day
Vit A Foods- 1 a day
Fats and Oils-3 a day
Liver- once a week (I'll be skipping this)
Salt to taste
Water to thirst
Supplements as needed
AND snacks...
loks good.. what type of snacks?? and um yeah Id skip the liver too
DD#1 5/21/04 ,DS 11/30/06 , DD#2 6/29/10 & 2 Angels
Sophiasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
mrsgrantis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ya I was jus tchecking this out.....The liver is deffeintly not going to go down and I'm havign alot of trouble with eggs lately......
Other then that looks pretty good!!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The snacks are just more of what is on the list- as in anything extra you eat above the minimum recommended servings.

I don't do well with eggs either. I have to either eat them sunny side up on some toast (like a 'mock' eggs bennedict) or hard boiled and sliced on a salad. I HATE scrambled eggs. A lot! Another way I can eat them is to have them in egg salad sandwiches, or mixed into pasta salad, or develed...

The only other thing I am opposed to with the Brewer, is waking in the middle of the night to eat, intentionally. No Thanks! I'll make up the extra cals during the day- with 3 kids under 3 and being pregnant, just about NOTHING is more important than my shut eye!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
jes750
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We eat healthy here and organically as much as we can afford/find. I won't pass up the ocasional fast food though. I don't always have much of an appitate though so I sorta have to remind my self to eat!