Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the big deal

I TIRED to get my DS to suck his htumb My DD is a thumbsucker and it was just soooo easy, I swear its the only reason she slept through the night (which my 18 month old DS still dosn't do...) I sucked my thumb until I was 12 I did have to have braces, but to me it was no big deal. And I NEVER got made fun of for it. Little babies and toddlers seem to suck thier thumbs alot, but once they get active, they need both thier hands to play and thumbsucking takes a backseat, my DD is 4 and very rarley sucks hers, mostly when she is sleeping.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
First off. they are touching everything and anything with their hands and then sucking on their fingers.

Secondly, prolonged thumbsucking can contribute to both speech issues and teeth issues. You can take a paci away, you can't cut their thumb off.
I agree with the teeth issues, but as a long time sucker, I can tell you it in no way inhibited my speech And Pacis imo are dirty too and they too can cause speech issues and teeth issues!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
First off. they are touching everything and anything with their hands and then sucking on their fingers.

Secondly, prolonged thumbsucking can contribute to both speech issues and teeth issues. You can take a paci away, you can't cut their thumb off.
This. My sister is a thumb sucker. She also had braces, mouth pieces & a permanent retainer put in. I'm not sure if thumb sucking was the cause of any of it, but I don't think it helped. She still sucks her thumb at 30. I never sucked my thumb and never had any orthodontic problems. We always joke about 'her good thumb' or getting sick etc and she is usually the one that starts the jokes!

Neither of my kids sucked their thumbs or used pacifiers.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
Cristine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess its like..nailbiting. Only in terms of it being an uncontrollable habit? dunno lol... I was never one and neither of my girls are.

I do think it's cute when a little baby does it. But, bigger kids look silly No offense anyone
Cristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_delo View Post
Like some said its easier to take a paci away than a thumb.

You never ever see a teenager or an adult with a paci but some do suck their thumbs.

I have known two people who do. One was a girl I have known my entire life and went to high school with me. She was ridiculed and teased very bad She really did want to stop, it was just a very bad habit. If she was stressed she would suck it and when she was tired. She would stop times do it and be unaware that she was doing it. She would never go to sleepovers or get invited as everyone made fun of her. She told me many times in tears she wished she had never learned to suck it.

The whole teeth thing I'm not sure about, she had perfectly straight teeth and had no braces lol

Where I never had a paci or sucked my thumb and had braces for 5 years. My older sister had her paci until she was 5 and also had perfectly straight teeth lol
That's a really sad story.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

well, my sister is now 22 and still sucking her thumb. THAT'S what makes me nervous!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

haven't read the replies yet but I have a grown sister(30) who still sucks her thumb...obviously only those who are very close know this. I have never known of someone grown who still uses a a paci.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #18
3wyobabes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaute_marquee View Post
With thumbsucking? Why does it seem like everyone is terrified that their baby might be a thumbsucker? I have two thumbsuckers, and I love it. No paci to search for, no chapped lips from overuse. They can go to sleep on their own. My oldest gave it up on his own around one. Tell me what's so bad about it?
I think the big deal is that you're one of the lucky ones who's child gave it up on their own.

Most do not... and while a baby sucking its thumb is all too precious... a 5, 6, 7 year old who still does it is not.

I know at least for us, the thought was "it's a lot easier to take away a paci than a thumb"
3wyobabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #19
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

What's the big deal? Got me! I don't get it either. I will be 24 come Saturday and proudly still suck my thumb and I doubt I will ever stop. Unless you have a comfort like sucking your thumb you'll never understand. I was never ridiculed, I speak very well, and never had braces. I don't believe in the messing up their teeth logic. If you look around most kids these days have braces..the docs even wanted to put them on me and my mom said no bc there really was no valid reason. For thousands of years people survived without braces and now they are used to correct even the tiniest flaws. Anyway..ask a 22 or 30 year old thumb sucker how sucking their thumb makes them feel..if they really hated it I guarantee they'd stop

Oh and as far as the dirty thing..I have a great immune sytem

ETA: Aren't most mamas on here into the "natural" stuff..I would think more would be into the fact that it's normal and "natural" for a baby to suck its thumbs and fingers instead of plastic.

Last edited by TalkinBoutMyGirl; 02-25-2010 at 10:56 AM.
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #20
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

My 3.5 yr old still has a binky, and that's in part due to my experience as a child. My mom took my binky away when I was 2, and I immediately started sucking my thumb. When I started school, I realized it was "uncool" to suck my thumb around other kids. But I still did it at home and at night. Eventually I stopped doing it at home, but a night it was something that I just did without thinking about it. I sucked my thumb up until the 6th grade when I got braces. I didn't *want* to suck my thumb at night, but it was habit. My parents tried all the yucky, nasty things to get me to stop. And the only thing that worked was when I got braces and had to wear headgear at night. I'm sure the thumb sucking made my teeth worse, but I probably would've needed braces anyways.

I really don't think it's a huge deal if kids suck their thumbs. I'm sure I'm not a typical case, and most kids probably give it up when they're around 4 or 5. I guess I just choose to stick with the binky in the hopes that my DS (and other kids) will give it up when they are ready, and they won't have to worry about sucking their thumbs at sleepovers and being embarrassed about it. I was teased about it, and I remember feeling horrible about myself for sucking my thumb. But it just wasn't something I could stop. I stopped going to sleepovers when I was in grade school. I just didn't want to be embarrassed about it. Like I said, braces stopped the night thumb sucking, but it really did bother me. I don't want my kids to go through that.

Last edited by MommaToBubandCJ; 02-25-2010 at 12:10 PM.
MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote