Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
masja
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What's the big deal

I hate the look of babies with paci's, especially toddlers, but I think babies who suck their thumbs look so sweet. I was a thumbsucker till I was atleast 5-6 and my brother was much, much later, and we've never had problems with our teeth.
A thumb is always readily available, a way to self soothe JMO

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #22
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for clearing that up!
I guess it's just another one of those things. There will be people who taut the wonderful things about a pacifier as if it is the orthodontic miracle and who say thumbsuckers will have horrible teeth and germy mouths. And there are those who say the opposite.
For me, I was a thumbsucker till I was probably five or six. I have great teeth (except for one. Drives me nuts that I have all these perfectly straight teeth and one that's just a little crooked). I never got teased about it, except for my brother. And I can't say I had dirty hands because I washed them several times a day. I'm pretty content to let my boys suck their thumbs as long as they want. I would still rather them do that than suck on a paci all day.
Btw, I do know kids who have gone to kindergarten with pacifiers. And I know lots of teens and adults (both paci and thumb kids) who never got over the oral fixation. Why do you think we have gum?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, and I had tons of people look at my ds when he was little bity (less than a year) and tell him, "Get that thumb out of your mouth!" When another little girl his age at church sucked on a paci constantly and was still on a bottle at two, but no one thought that was odd.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

my younger sister used to suck her first finger (pointer) and she needed braces for 6 yrs! I would say she did it pretty much until the braces went on part way through grade school.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #25
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

My oldest is a thumb sucker and I have never minded. She's 5 and her dentist says that it hasn't affected her teeth at all. She also never sucks it during preschool so she's never had the embarrassment issue.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #26
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

My brother sucked his thumb for a looong time. He got some serious buck teeth from it. My mom tried getting him to stop but nothing worked. I would rather be able to take away a binky. My neice sucks her fingers and eww, they smell weird lol.
While thumb sucking on a baby is cute, buck teeth on a ten year old is just not as cute.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is a thumb sucker and I am just fine with that I'd much rather have her suck her own thumb than some weird piece of plastic!

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #28
weegrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No kidding! I so agree! I did NOT want dd1 to be a thumbsucker since I believed "can take the paci away but not the thumb" and low and behold, what happened? Walked in one morning around age 5mo and there she'd found her thumb. She is 4.5 now and still sucks it. She only sucks it when she is tired though. Now dd2 came along and was a full blown paci baby. Tlk about a pain! Always loosing them. Having to wash them. Buy replacements. And she used it ALL DAY LONG! In the car, in the bed, playing....... DD1 never sucked her thumb while playing bec she needed her hands but DD2 could suck away and still use her hands to play. As a result of that constant sucking you could see it in her teeth more than my thumb sucker and teeth is the main reason people claim thumbsucking to be so bad. Then DD2 busted her teeth and loosened one of them. We had to go cold turkey giving up the paci so the tooth would tighten back up and not fall out. That was around 20-21 mo old and she couldn't put herself to sleep without it. She has rarely napped since. Talk about a pain.

Statistically most kids give up thumbsucking around the age of 5 IF they are not badgered about it. So it is recommended to leave them alone about it. I can already see DD1 doing it less and less. And I figure, I had braces, DH had braces, chances are the kids will too, so who cares? She won't be 16 and sucking on her thumb. I HOPE this baby due next month is a thumbsucker!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #29
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
The pedi had to put a device on their thumbs to make them stop. Weird.
My parents would have probably paid good money for that device!

I sucked my thumb until I was probably 8. My parents didn't try to get me to stop until I was probably 6 or so and they tried every tactic in the book, including wrapping my thumb in medical tape. I was determined! LOL. I don't worry about the fact that my 17 month old sucks her fingers yet (she has never had a pacifier), but I will be worried if she is still doing it in a year. For a multitude of reasons I would really rather that she didn't take after me on this one.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
ajanele
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It doesn't bother me. I've had friends whose children do it, and they get frustrated because they can't take it away like they could a pacifier, or get concerned during cold and flu season. I think it's cute!