Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Help~~WWYD?!

Brief history: my 8yo was a c-sec 8yrs ago bc he was breech and we found out at the last possible sec! joe was a successful VBAC a yr ago and the last one around here!

well i have just found out that they no longer do VBACs around here. the closest place is 40min away AND they want a non-refundable deposit of around $1500, insurance dosent cover it all, this is above and beyond to secure the hospital staff needed in case of a c-section. ATM we dont have that kind of $$$ to dish out.

so basically i am now left with going with a homebirth midwife, which i dont think dh is going to go for but i am NOT going to be cut up unnesscariely either!

dh isnt a big reader at all but i really need to convince him that this is the way to go. can anyone recommend some good sites and/or books? i would even love to hear your homebirth story!

TIA

Advertisement

mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
kugrinic
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help~~WWYD?!

When you know pass it along because our DH's sound exactly the same
Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

40 minutes isnt far, my birthing center is now an hour away..hehe
as for the 1500 non refundable i think that is nuts, they are chargig for somethign they may not even use as in do for you, that is BS imo, i hope your able to get the birth you want
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugrinic View Post
When you know pass it along because our DH's sound exactly the same
its so frustrating i just wish he would see it from my POV....he is squeamish and the ick factor is going to bother him but he should be willing to deal with it LOL
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I would get in touch with the ICAN folks. From what I've read, even though a hospital has a policy stating no VBAC's, they cannot deny you they right to one. Sure, they can be buttheads about it but if they force a c-section on you against your will, they can loose their medicaid and medicare funding. But you have to be willing to push them on it and most ladies understandably are not willing to push it. I've had 5 VBAC's including 2 at a hospital after they changed their official policy. They didn't like it but allowed anyone who had already had a VBAC at their hospital to try another one although they really pushed for a c-section. Offically, anyway. We're at the moment preparing for baby number 7 and working with a homebirth midwife this time. Hoping everything will workout the way we want it to. But my husband and I always said if we ever got backed into a corner, we would just stay home until it was too late for them to give me a c-section. In other words, labor at home and walk into the hospital right before the baby is born. But we were willing to accept delivering the baby alone if need be. Not sure how comfy your hubby would be with that one. Mine always says he hates taking me to the hospital because he knows how much I hate it and how uncomfy I am there so he's actually been the bigger advocate of a homebirth. But good luck with your search.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
40 minutes isnt far, my birthing center is now an hour away..hehe
as for the 1500 non refundable i think that is nuts, they are chargig for somethign they may not even use as in do for you, that is BS imo, i hope your able to get the birth you want
thats what i think also! i would have NO problems scrounging up $1500 IF i could get it back but with it non-refundable i'm throwing away $1500
Old 02-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #7
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids View Post
I would get in touch with the ICAN folks. From what I've read, even though a hospital has a policy stating no VBAC's, they cannot deny you they right to one. Sure, they can be buttheads about it but if they force a c-section on you against your will, they can loose their medicaid and medicare funding. But you have to be willing to push them on it and most ladies understandably are not willing to push it. I've had 5 VBAC's including 2 at a hospital after they changed their official policy. They didn't like it but allowed anyone who had already had a VBAC at their hospital to try another one although they really pushed for a c-section. Offically, anyway. We're at the moment preparing for baby number 7 and working with a homebirth midwife this time. Hoping everything will workout the way we want it to. But my husband and I always said if we ever got backed into a corner, we would just stay home until it was too late for them to give me a c-section. In other words, labor at home and walk into the hospital right before the baby is born. But we were willing to accept delivering the baby alone if need be. Not sure how comfy your hubby would be with that one. Mine always says he hates taking me to the hospital because he knows how much I hate it and how uncomfy I am there so he's actually been the bigger advocate of a homebirth. But good luck with your search.
if i go that route do i just "say" to the OB i agree to a c-sec bc if i even mention to any that i DONT want one they refuse to see me.....the 4 major hospitals near have a NO VBAC law in place.

Last edited by mama23boys; 02-01-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I wouldn't sign anything you agree to a c-section. Unless your OB can give you a valid medical reason for needing another one. You could tell the OB you agree to one but personally I wouldn't lie about it. I would just bring someone with you to your appointments who will back you up (because I'm a jelly-fish around doctors and tend to not stand my ground well enough) and just keep insisting that you are provided with a valid medical reason for needing a c-section. The problem if you "agree" to one even if you don't really is that they can then use that against you when you show up at the hospital. Can you find another local doctor or midwife who supports the patient's right to a vbac and would support you? That would be my first choice because it is hard to go through a pregnancy with a care provider you aren't totally comfortable with.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids View Post
I wouldn't sign anything you agree to a c-section. Unless your OB can give you a valid medical reason for needing another one. You could tell the OB you agree to one but personally I wouldn't lie about it. I would just bring someone with you to your appointments who will back you up (because I'm a jelly-fish around doctors and tend to not stand my ground well enough) and just keep insisting that you are provided with a valid medical reason for needing a c-section. The problem if you "agree" to one even if you don't really is that they can then use that against you when you show up at the hospital. Can you find another local doctor or midwife who supports the patient's right to a vbac and would support you? That would be my first choice because it is hard to go through a pregnancy with a care provider you aren't totally comfortable with.
the hospitals here DO NOT allow VBACs, if a doctor agrees to one they will lose their hospital priveleges and their liscense.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Hm, sounds like you are really stuck then. Is there anyway to come up with the money for the other hospital? Can you sock away something from a tax refund maybe? If I was stuck in your position, I would even borrow the money if I had to but that's just because I am very much against forced c-sections. Meaning any c-section without a valid medical reason for that particular pregnancy. But then again, I'm very stubborn on this issue. Are you willing to try a homebirth even if your husband isn't behind it totally? And if you went that way, would you have someone else who would be able support you? Sometimes husbands have a very hard time with their wives in labor because they just cannot stand the fact that there is nothing they can really do to make the pain stop or truly help out. So for some of them, it's best if they dont' have to be the one to really support mom while in labor. I'm sorry your local hospitals are being so darn stubborn. I truly hope these "policies" will change soon and women will once gain be given the right to do their own research and decide for themselves what is right for their family.