Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
ajaitz_07
Registered Users
seller
seller

How do you seam seal wetbag seams?

I have seen several different kinds of wetbags that say they are sewn and seam sealed so they wont leak (Planetwise is one of them). Anyone know how to do that?

Advertisement

ajaitz_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
dark_dragon1978
Banned
seller

Re: How do you seam seal wetbag seams?

I have a feeling this won't get a response, LMBO, cause stuff like this seems to be a trade secret that those who have figured out don't want to share, but I don't want to miss it if it does get answered.
dark_dragon1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
sydver
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon1978 View Post
I have a feeling this won't get a response, LMBO, cause stuff like this seems to be a trade secret that those who have figured out don't want to share, but I don't want to miss it if it does get answered.
DITTO!
~Veronica~Mama to: DD Sydney 23, DS David 13, DS Gavriel 6, DD Michal 4 and stepmom to, DS Daniel 17 & DS Noam 15 and last, but definitely not least, my DH Eyal! Getting all our ORGANIC & TOXIC FREE items from MommysClub.com & loving it!
sydver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My guess is a cheesecloth and hot iron on the seam.

I had some covers embroidered awhile back. I used scrap pul pieces to cover the embroidery inside cover and I fused the pul together using my iron and a cheesecloth.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:

I didn't think this was a trade secret, just because *I* found out on the internet, but a hot iron with a cloth between - like someone mentioned already - will seal the seams. So would a dampening down - to keep it from overheating - and then a run through the dryer. I've even been told (but haven't tried) that many people in Europe will use hairdryers since it's not as typical in many European countries to have clothes dryers.

The main thing is that heat re-seals the pul. So if you poke holes in it, it just "tightens" the PUL around the thread/holes so that moisture can't get through as easily. The holes are still there, but not nearly as likely to wick. Plus, if the hot iron can heat the polyurethane enough to melt the layers together if you have laminated sides together. I don't typically try to do this as I find it's not necessary, but I'm sure when I use the iron on my seams it melts a bit.

That's why I double seam with tiny stitches, then reseal the PUL, and also use 100% poly thread on my wet bags!

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!

Last edited by WeeEssentials; 02-27-2010 at 08:24 PM.
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
newwife777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ooohhh good info! Thanks!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
ajaitz_07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarie14 View Post
I didn't think this was a trade secret, just because *I* found out on the internet, but a hot iron with a cloth between - like someone mentioned already - will seal the seams. So would a dampening down - to keep it from overheating - and then a run through the dryer. I've even been told (but haven't tried) that many people in Europe will use hairdryers since it's not as typical in many European countries to have clothes dryers.

The main thing is that heat re-seals the pul. So if you poke holes in it, it just "tightens" the PUL around the thread/holes so that moisture can't get through as easily. The holes are still there, but not nearly as likely to wick. Plus, if the hot iron can heat the polyurethane enough to melt the layers together if you have laminated sides together. I don't typically try to do this as I find it's not necessary, but I'm sure when I use the iron on my seams it melts a bit.

That's why I double seam with tiny stitches, then reseal the PUL, and also use 100% poly thread on my wet bags!

Thanks For the info mama! I have the stuff to make some but I was afraid it would leak so I chickened out.
ajaitz_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Jodicandoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeEssentials View Post

Jodicandoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
LittleLady8
Registered Users
seller

I've only made one wet bag but I put it in the dryer on hot and NO leaking . I am wondering if "seam sealed" is an advertising gimmick!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #10
Mrs Wild
Registered Users

I have some cloth nappies that have a seam at the leg holes that wick (even after only 1 wee) :-( I'm after something to seal the seams and I'm hoping that this product will do the trick, as I can't heat seal it together as the poly sides are together.

There is a seam sealing tape available:
nappiescovered.com.au/products/Seam-Sealing-Tape.html
Mrs Wild is offline   Reply With Quote