Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help! Stains on baby's teeth!!

Okay mamas, I've been frantically searching the internet and I'm hoping there is someone here who has been through this! I went to brush my DD's teeth this morning and noticed that they are gray on the backs! She has two bottom teeth-she has had them for about six weeks and she is only 7 months old. Naturally, I panicked, because I have VERY weak enamel on my teeth and thus have had dozens of fillings.

Upon doing some research, I learned that too much iron can cause a gray film on the teeth, but almost EVERY post I read involved iron fortified formula being the cause. My DD hasn't ever had formula! She has had low iron before so we have been giving her supplement drops (Poly-vi-sol) every other day, plus plenty of infant cereal. Could this cause the stains? Or should I be worried she has cavities? They don't seem to bother her, and they literally JUST appeared. I brush her teeth twice a day and she only nurses once at night...I've also never given her juice.

I'm stumped and hoping there are other BF'ing moms who have been through this...Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Help! Stains on baby's teeth!!

I would prob stop the cereal and jsut do fruits and veggies. Other than that i have no idea what it could be. Call your pedi or dentist and ask.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
azmokitty
Banned

My Mood:

if you read on the poly-vi-sol, it says on there that it can cause teeth staining. that would be my bet!
azmokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I saw that too-and heard it. It just seems like all the info I read was pertaining to formula. I'm think it's HIGHLY unlikely that she's developed cavities in the six weeks she's had the teeth...especially given that we try to take care of them. I guess if they ARE cavities, then we're in for it!!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
patchoulimama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I read something just last night about iron drops causing the teeth to stain. It also said the staining will go away when the drops are no longer given.
Hardcore-crunchy single SAHM to Keir(18) Khalil Kai(3)and Safiya Sky(7 months) Your average BFing, CDing, BWing,nonvaxing,bed sharing,composting,tree hugging, whale saving, granola munching, hemp milk drinking, tie dyed barefooted vegetarian deadhead family, and I wish we lived in a purple school bus and solved mysteries!
patchoulimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wonder how long it'll take...I stopped them three days ago...I'm guessing a few weeks? Maybe for food/saliva to wear the stains down? I've been brushing them well too...but they're still there. Luckily, they are just on the back. It's just hard to get to because her teeth are concave in the back...YUCK!!