Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rotovirus Vacine

Has anyone else's child recieved this? It's oral...not an injection. My oldest 2 never recieved it but Layla recieved it at the DR's yesterday. I am very pro vax but I'm really kicking myself for letting her get it. It's new(within a year or so) and I hate to think of my baby being the guinea pig for it. I totally feel like such a *ss for letting her get it. She doesnt' go to Daycare or nursery at church so the chances of her even being exposed are minimal. I really hate that I let her get it. Who knows what the long term effects of this new drug could be

Advertisement

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rotovirus Vacine

My kids are home with me ALL day EVERY day and my son has gotten it THREE times!!! It is horrible! Be glad you got it...it's not worth the risk!!! It's the WORST virus ever!!! My DS got it his third time the day I had my second son....he couldn't even go to the hospital b/c he was throwing up and having diahrea CONSTANTLY!!
I wish I could have gotten the vaccine!!!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not that...its just that the vax is so new...I'm afraid that it hasn't had time to show what kind of long term affects can come from it.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Rebecca, the fact that your children have gotten it three times should tell you something. If your ds is not immune after actually having the disease then what good is a vax going to do? For the record they say that all children by the age of 5 will have been infected with rotovirus. That means ds1 had it at some point. I have to say I don't remember it, the worst thing I remember is the time his father gave him gaucomole doritos. He pooped loose green stuff for 4 days. It was horrible.

The original vax was taken off of the market after it caused many children to get intesuseption. They had hyped the disease big to get people to vax, and then as soon as they yanked the vax all of the sudden the disease wasn't so bad any more. Now there is a new vax and the disease is a killer again. I'm sorry but that is too conveinent for me. Add to that the fact that they know you can't get life long immunity to rotovirus, even if you catch it. That means the vax is worthless. But it is no good beating yourself up about it now, you can't go back and change it. Just refuse it in the future.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Rebecca, the fact that your children have gotten it three times should tell you something. If your ds is not immune after actually having the disease then what good is a vax going to do? For the record they say that all children by the age of 5 will have been infected with rotovirus. That means ds1 had it at some point. I have to say I don't remember it, the worst thing I remember is the time his father gave him gaucomole doritos. He pooped loose green stuff for 4 days. It was horrible.

The original vax was taken off of the market after it caused many children to get intesuseption. They had hyped the disease big to get people to vax, and then as soon as they yanked the vax all of the sudden the disease wasn't so bad any more. Now there is a new vax and the disease is a killer again. I'm sorry but that is too conveinent for me. Add to that the fact that they know you can't get life long immunity to rotovirus, even if you catch it. That means the vax is worthless. But it is no good beating yourself up about it now, you can't go back and change it. Just refuse it in the future.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
debbidala
Registered Users
seller

As I understand it, the big push to develop a rotavirus vaccine was to prevent some of the many deaths from the virus in the developing world. It has a much lower mortality rate here, thanks to better medical care, but that doesn't mean it's not a dangerous illness. The sickest my eldest has ever been was when he was 3 and got it - he lost 8 pounds in 10 days and it took him literally months to recover completely (and he's been lactose intolerant ever since - the doctor said that the parts of the stomach that process lactose are on the very tips and were permanently damaged by his illness). Of course, that's just anecdotal, I just mention it to show that it can be very serious, and it's INCREDIBLY contagious.

The first vaccine was pulled from the market because of bad results - this second one hasn't proven as effective against rotavirus, but it also hasn't been associated with any ill effects. I'm sure your dd will be just fine - you're a good mama to worry!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are in the throes of rotavirus right now. DD got it from a little boy at her sitters and has been pooping water since last wed. I have been home sick with it since tuesday. The sitter has four out of six kids she watches out with it. Half of their parents are home sick with it. This is the worst sickness we've gone through, with the exception of food poisoning. I had never even heard of the vacine until dd had it. Not that I necessarily would have gotten it, but at least I would have had the chance. Not much to add to the discussion except...this sucks...
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

We've had it in our house before...benign. We all have pretty healthy diets, immune systems, and lifestyles though, and we have no previous issues which make us immune-compromised (such as previous vaccines). I also keep a vast array of natural remedies on hand for encounters such as that. When we dealt with it dd was only 2 weeks, and she didn't even get sick, just dh and I. And it was minimal. I would definatley not be a guinea pig for this vaccine....

Oh ya, here is the VAERS data for 2006

http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/fin...O=1&PERPAGE=10

Last edited by ndunn; 02-01-2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: adding something
ndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rotavirus is like the flu or a cold....getting it once only makes you immune to that specific strain of virus. Rotavirus is spread by fecal matter btw.
If you havn't seen your child poop the constistancy of water every 15 min...and throw up about every 30 min I don't think you could understand what it's like! This virus lasts on average 10 days....my son had diahrea and vomiting for 10 days each time. I would have done anything to save him from that misery!s
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

BUT, I'm sure your DD will be okay! Go with your gut though, it's normally right.

ETA: I would HATE HATE HATE to see my baby go through the virus. But still, the possible dangers from the vaccine (not yet known since it's a new vaccine) are NOT worth it to me. As a PP said, I'm not comfortable with my son being the governments guinea pig. I'm not anti-vax, but I would never give my child a vaccine that I didn't know the long term effects of!

Last edited by JustAugust; 02-01-2007 at 10:10 PM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote