Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

Re: Rotovirus Vacine

I think babies are supposed to receive three doses, so just refuse the next ones. She'll probably be fine!

Hugs to the mamas that have dealt with this. It's weird that 100% of kids by age five get it, ds is five and has never had it. Could he have had it and I not know? Is it really spread by fecal matter, (poop?)? How in the world does that get passed around?

Advertisement

sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #12
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
Has anyone else's child recieved this? It's oral...not an injection. My oldest 2 never recieved it but Layla recieved it at the DR's yesterday. I am very pro vax but I'm really kicking myself for letting her get it. It's new(within a year or so) and I hate to think of my baby being the guinea pig for it. I totally feel like such a *ss for letting her get it. She doesnt' go to Daycare or nursery at church so the chances of her even being exposed are minimal. I really hate that I let her get it. Who knows what the long term effects of this new drug could be
The vaccine comes in 3 doses and they have to be given within a certian time frame too...According to my ped. My daughter got the first dose. At the next appointment they asked me if I wanted the 2nd does and I said nope. They never said anything after that. When you go in next. Just refuse the next does.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #13
AmyEm
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had rotavirus (they were not offering a vaccine when he was a baby) and it was really, really nasty. He was never in daycare and I am not sure how he caught it...probably at the Drs office for a well-baby visit! Anyway, I just breastfed him as often as he would take it (he was really little still) and he did ok. It was really gross though. I have heard about much more severe cases than what my son had.

But I still refused the vaccine when it was offered for my DD.

Last edited by AmyEm; 02-02-2007 at 12:09 AM.
AmyEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:07 AM   #14
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

debbie-

FWIW and I mean this with all due respect and compassion for the trouble it seems your child has gone through but all the info I have come in contact with so far doesnt mention Lactose Intolerance being a permanant result. It mentions it being a temporary possibility though.

Additionally it does mention celiac disease being a potential problem with several cases of rota. in genetically suseptible children. Just wanted to throw that out there to double check with you what your doc said and maybe look further into it...

Heres just one link to some of the most recent info I found.

ETA : THIS link for anyone interested - with this quote

Quote:
Immunity from repeated infection is incomplete after a rotavirus infection, but repeated infections tend to be less severe than the original infection.

Last edited by moonphishers; 02-02-2007 at 12:11 AM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 AM   #15
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy21901 View Post
I think babies are supposed to receive three doses, so just refuse the next ones. She'll probably be fine!

Hugs to the mamas that have dealt with this. It's weird that 100% of kids by age five get it, ds is five and has never had it. Could he have had it and I not know? Is it really spread by fecal matter, (poop?)? How in the world does that get passed around?
There are a multitude of ways. Short answer: people who don't wash their hands when they should touch things, then other people touch them, and so on.

I read something once about all the places they tested for and found icky stuff (yep that's a technical term ) and fecal matter was one of them. It was in places like movie theaters, grocery stores, etc.

Last edited by stellar225; 02-02-2007 at 01:54 AM. Reason: mama needs more sleep
stellar225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #16
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had no idea that it would require more doses...see how much I know. I am going to refuse it next time. I know I can't go back and change it now that she recieved the first dose but I just don't want to risk it not knowing what side effects could come from it. Not to mention my other children have not been vaxinated so if they get it chances are high my YDD will get it as well anyway.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
RobinOK
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds;
Rotavirus is like the flu or a cold....getting it once only makes you immune to that specific strain of virus. Rotavirus is spread by fecal matter btw.
If you havn't seen your child poop the constistancy of water every 15 min...and throw up about every 30 min I don't think you could understand what it's like! This virus lasts on average 10 days....my son had diahrea and vomiting for 10 days each time. I would have done anything to save him from that misery!s
It went through my house in December and it was bad. My 8 month old had it for 14 days. 11 of those with diarrhea. It was horrible.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinOK View Post
It went through my house in December and it was bad. My 8 month old had it for 14 days. 11 of those with diarrhea. It was horrible.
Knowing how horrible it is would you do the vax? Are the unknowns of the new vax worth the risk to possibly eliminate having the rotovirus?

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
aschrimp
Registered Users

My ds had it when he was 4-5 months old. It sucked, but not enough that I'd vax him (or another child) for it. Rotovirus isn't the only bug that causes vomiting and diarrhea, anyway. Out here, norovirus is going around (we had that recently). It sucked too.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #20
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS had it when he was a year and a half or so- it was bad (lots of vomiting which meant we changed our sheets a few times one night, and then tons of smelly diarrhea) it lasted over a week, but even with that I wouldn't vax against it. He did get it in Dec but this time is was SO mild- no vomit just 3-4 days of the unmistakable smelly poo. As a pp mentioned, most kids will get it before the age of 5 and I feel as long as parents watch for signs and signals of dehydration and seek medical care when they observe it, especially in young babes- everything will be fine. Inconvenient at times yes, but it wasn't the end of the world in our house at all.