Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Why is everyone so concerned with my kid's feet?

I use to get coments like that too. Niether of my girls wore shoes until they were 18mos(when they started walking-then only if they were actually going to be walking outside) DD1 wasnt so bad (I guess because of her size ppl thought she was younger but dd2 is a big girl and I noticed a lot more discussed looks with her. What really got me was the fact that I'm in Texas. If it's cold/wet/funky I just dont leave the house b/c I know in a day or 2 it'll be warm again lol so the 'coldest' I'd take them out in was when socks, pants and a long sleeve shirt was plenty

Advertisement

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
crunch!910
Registered Users

I don't put shoes on my nearly 6 month old. Even when he starts walking, if he isn't walking regularly, if I still carry him outside of the ouse, he won't wear shoes. Shoes are bad for their feet. DH has very bad feet problems, so we are going to try adn prevent making DS have problems.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #13
boy-oh-boy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If we were to go by whether or not I wore socks, my kids would probably be sockless when they need to wear socks My feet get so hot sometimes, I hate it. I think that socks are generally fine when the kid isn't even walking yet. Although I wanted to knock some sense into my 'sister' the other day. It was a crisp day and she and her husband took their 1yo in the backyard to enjoy the weather with their older child. The 1yo was in the exersaucer, so at least she wasn't touching cold ground, but she didn't even have socks on. Long sleeve shirt, long pants... bare feet. But they were spending time with the kids, which they usually don't, so I figure it balances out somewhere.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I go barefoot all the time. I get the talk, the whole shebang about being barefoot in winter from my German MIL and FIL. That's ok- my kids are Southern too, and take their socks off on their own -- they also get too hot.

BUT, when it comes to going out from Fall-Spring, socks and shoes when we go outside. For as long as we can get robeez type shoes, we do that. When support is warranted for running through mud/snow - we get those kind of shoes. Until then, doubled up socks or itty-bitty booties.

If they're being worn and we're talking summertime - shoes are packed in the diaperbag.

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never put shoes on my babies even in the dead of winter till they are walking about a lot, then it's some robeez. I'd ignore the old biddies. What do they know.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Yeah, I'm another for the not wearing shoe until walking club. I bought my son his first pair of shoes when he was 11 or 12 months old. I just didn't see the point before that. I feel that socks keep a baby warm enough pre-walking and feel that shoes aren't good for their feet if they don't "have" to be wearing them.
Gitrecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD was born in Dec and didn't wear shoes til this winter started. She always wore socks and we never got any comments..weirdos! I hate socks and shoes and mine come off right away when we get home. DD wears socks at home 75% of the time..shoes at home sometimes but not often. She always wears shoes out since she is walking now.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #18
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sure your Son's feet was plenty warm enough with just socks on like you said it was 50 out.

Before my Nephews were walking I didn't put shoes on them when I took them out. I don't even think I even put shoes on them in the winter when I took them out before they we're walking. Seemed kinda silly to spend 5mins or however long to put shoes on them when they didn't even walk.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #19
Xeniphia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
I'm one of "those" people who think if it's too cold for me to wear socks only, it's too cold for my kid to wear socks only. Walking or not. I'm one if those crazy parents who has their 2mo wear Robeez whenever we go out because it's cool enough for shoes.
To each his own. I don't parent your kids and you don't parent mine. I never say anything because it isn't my business but it isn't that I don't have an opinion on it.
Whatever.
If you aren't doing anything else to keep the baby's feet warm while outside I'd agree. But when you're walking around a grocery store ... it's climate controlled. I personally don't put shoes on my 6 month old, and I even took him out without socks the other day ... but he was bundled right against me in the wrap and while I was walking outside in the cold he was zipped INSIDE my coat. That kid's warmer than me, so I don't worry that much about his feet. While actually outside in the cold I either have him bundled in the wrap against me or in his snowsuit or both, we don't even own shoes for the kid. And I'm kinda glad too, I can't even imagine the $$$ I would have shelled out already, the kid's wearing 12-24mo socks.
Gaming Star Wars Geek married to the love of my life. Cosleeping , Breastfeeding , Babywearing , CDing , ECing, Nonvaxing, Noncircing, BLWing, HS hopeful WAHM to my Jedi 7-2003, and my munchkin 8-2009.
Xeniphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

People are always going to find something wrong, I swear one day when my oldest was a baby we were in a store and one woman walked up to me and said that I had my baby bundled up way to warm and told me that baby would get to hot, because babies can't sweat (she must have been confusing babies and pigs). We were going down the next aisle and another woman walked up to me and said my baby wasn't wearing a hat and would get cold and an ear infection. I decided at that point to just nod and smile and walk away.