Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

Newborn diapers and the umbilical cord

I really want to use cloth starting in the hospital right after delivery. At the very least, as soon as we come home. I've never CD a NB before, and I'm not really sure what's the best to use until the cord falls off. I've seen lots of diapers that have the snap down for the cord. Do those really keep the diaper away from the cord? So far the only diapers I have with the snap down are 2 GMs. The rest of my stash is Thirsties and BG fitteds--are those going to bother the cord stump? How about prefolds? Can you fold those down to avoid irritating the cord?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm still trying to figure out what I need for this baby.

Advertisement

MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
ange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Newborn diapers and the umbilical cord

I'm using a combination of pf's and sposies. I find pf's irritate the stump less than anything. For a cover, Bummi's Super Brite have a cord dip. Thankfully, his stump just fell off.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
BookishMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

PF's are pretty easy to adjust to accommodate the umbilical cord and a variety of newborn sized fitteds and covers have snap-downs or dips for the cord. DD has been wearing cloth diapers since the we brought her home from the hospital (4 days old) and her cord fell off at 9 days old and she never had a problem.
DS (6), DD (Born 2/15/2010)
BookishMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

None of the diapers I used had a snap down area or dip for the cord. WE used prefolds and fitteds and pockets I made.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
unfadingcolors
Registered Users
seller

i have bumgenius bamboo NB fitteds, which are supposed to avoid the cord area because they have a really low rise. also have NB patooshie pants which have the snap-down.

as for covers.. has anyone just went coverless til the cord falls off? i have NB wool soakers, so maybe i can just fold them down to avoid the cord area..
unfadingcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

I used mostly aios (thirsties, BG, VeryBaby, Sposoeasy) some prefolds in bsww cover. We started cding as soon as we left the hospital. All the diapers were supposed to be below the umbilical cord, but seemed to come right up to or next to it & over when he'd curl his legs up (which was most of the time). It never caused any problems, but at each change we'd swab it with alcohol as hid ped recommended to help keep it clean & to help w/the drying process. I couldn't imagine having higher rise dipes on though bc it'd seem like they'd totally cover it & it got pretty nasty looking as it got closer to falling off which grossed me out enough as a FTM. he lost the cord stump at about 10 days.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
becken
Registered Users

got a 4-day newbie here and the only thing working for me is the xs Thirsties covers. Everything else rises too high. I'm disappointed that the xs BG aios aren't working - I guess they're supposed to fold over a bit in front, but it's not even a half inch!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
thinkingahead
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As pp said, prefolds are nice and adjustable. You can put on covers/fitteds a little higher in back or fold the front. Otherwise, it really is ok to cover it with a cover, assuming it doesn't rub too much- you just don't want wet diaper on it.

We use gmd orange and mainly bss to start (bsww were ok, but I liked the cord dip on the bss). DS's stump fell off in about 5 days, probably helped by the "sunning" we had to do for his jaundice.
thinkingahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
mamajonathan
Registered Users

I'm sorry to say it, but the umbilical snapdown on our newborn diapers (Kissaluv 0) just didn't work -- it rubbed on the stump and made DS bleed again -- we had to go back to sposies for at least another week of healing (at the time I was too intimidated by prefolds, so can't comment on how they might work).
mamajonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 AM   #10
ALovelyStart
Registered Users
Formerly: OnTheJourney
seller

I made some tiny little scoop front flannel fitteds for the fist little bit. Loved them! They were tiny and not bulky and held enough little NB wee. I used fleece soakers with loose fleece waistband as covers when we were going out or had company or went coverless and laid on a couple prefolds around the house a lot. The fleece waistband of the soakers was really no different than wearing clothes. DD's cord fell off around 12 days.

Pop By my Fan Page on Facebook!
Shop at my Hyena Cart or come by my DS WAHM Tread! Stocking on Bitty Fluff 1st & 3rd Fridays and A La Mode on the 15th of the month!
ALovelyStart is offline   Reply With Quote