View Poll Results: What would you do?
A. Leave them both in this home daycare together (450./wk) 15 48.39%
B. Send him to full time pre-school and leave her where she is (460./wk) 14 45.16%
C. Send them both to the center even though I don't know how we'd stretch it (517./wk) 2 6.45%
Send him part time to PreSchool and Keep Her where she is ($491.wk)(opposite directions 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How impt is it for both kids to attend same daycare?

I voted A.
I like B too but what are the options/plans when preschool is closed for holidays, inservice, ect... Who will watch your son then?
In regular daycare they most likely would be separated in different rooms so they wouldn't see each other anyway.

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
silverlily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So here's a totally different option (that might not be feasible either, but just a suggestion. )

Have you thought about a nanny? I can tell you right now, that most (corporate - which is where I worked before DD was born) daycare teachers (degreed or not) make less than $400/wk after taxes, and I bet you'd be able to find one that would be willing to nanny for 400/wk or 425/wk if you wanted her to drive your DS to a preschool (provided it's close.) That way you don't have to drive anywhere in the morning or afternoon, and cloth diapering would still be an option.

Obviously there are drawbacks that you wouldn't have with a center - like if she's sick one day you're kind of stuck, and having to find a nanny that you trust.

Anywho, just another option - good luck in whatever you decide .
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
sticka182
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I placed an ad for a nanny. I was hoping to find someone. Unfortunately around here Nanny's make $15/hour, so even at a strickt 40 hrs/week, it would be $600 out of pocket.

I wish I didn't run a family business or i'd move to a cheaper state!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted leave them in home day care, but wanted to share my opinion. When ds1 was little and I worked full time, he was in a home day care. His provider was GREAT and she did "lessons" with the kids. By age 2 he knew all shapes (even ones like hexagon and trapezoid), colors, numbers, alphabet, and more. She did crafty things with them and I was just amazed. She ran her home day care like a real day care, but with smaller numbers of kids and more loving attention.

I don't know how your provider runs her home day care, but I wanted to share this because there are some out there that are the best of everything in my opinion. Maybe you could try to find another home day care. If you can't, I would still stick with the one you have. It's cheaper and the idea of you getting both kids + yourself ready in the morning and out the door to 3 different places is very stressful. A stressed out mama is not a good mama - in my opinion. Your oldest has by my estimate 2 more years until public school, so you can always re-evaluate the situation again in a year and move him to "preschool" then. Plus your younger child will be older and could maybe thrive more in a preschool environment herself.

Good luck. It is SO stressful to decide these things!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
2&2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It would be important for me that they stay together so I voted for A.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are in different daycares. We started the older when he was 13mos at one center close to dh's work so that dh did drop off and pick up because I was working crazy hours. After the baby was born and I changed jobs, I didn't want the baby that far away from me but didn't want to uproot the older one from the place he loved. So, we put the baby in a center closer to my job and our home. It works well right now. DH still takes ds1 to and from "school" and I do the drop off and pick up of ds 2.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
bluemoonbutterfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I choose A becaue of money and keeping the children together. Wow you are paying in child care what my DH net pay is for the week and he has what is considered a good paying job for our area. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I personally couldn't do two drop off locations in the morning. I have to be at work at 7:30, so dropping off twice is out of the question. I would have to figure out a way to stretch the center or find a different place for them
both.

My home daycare provider (AKA grandma) drives the kids to preschool because she thinks it is important for kids. She did this when she wateched other kids, and they carpooled with a neighbor. Is that a possibility?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-02-2010 at 10:53 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #19
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I would put them in the place where they are happiest. I know my two year old would go crazy in a daycare with no other kids her age. She is very active and social. Luckily, I do my own in-home daycare and can pick the right group of kids to fit my environment. That said, we also are already starting on PreK curriculum. She will most likely not be attending preschool when the time comes but I feel confident that she will be prepared for kindergarten. You can find daycare options that do provide kids the opportunity to be ready for K5. He doesn't HAVE to go to preschool. Just a thought. Do you have a friend or relative that you could do a nanny share with? Another great option.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Re: How impt is it for both kids to attend same daycare? UPDATE in Orig post!

awh sorry!!!