Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Amby Baby (advice needed)

I've gotten the Amby Baby from my mom (she used with my colic'y baby brother forever and it was a lifesaver). Anyway, i know that there was a recall back in december and they have a replacement part to solve the 'suffocation' risk. Would ya'll set it up and use it (w/ the replacement part of course)?

FYI, I hate to not use it if it could help my DS sleep when he is born. It retails at like $300.

Here is a link to the website if you aren't sure what it is:
http://www.ambybaby.com/

Advertisement

Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
carazoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

Re: Amby Baby (advice needed)

IMO I wouldn't use it unless I HAD to but I would use it with the replacement parts if I had to
Old 02-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't personally use it. We had a fisher price cradle swing that worked just fine and is much safer. I had 2 swings...one in my room and one downstairs.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it was one purchased from Australia, then I'd use it. The recall was on the Amby's that were manufactured outside of Australia (USA perhaps?)

ETA: FWIW...after everything I read during the recall, it appears that the reason that child suffocated, was more about improper placement of the child in the hammock. I used one with both of my kids. Having had experience with these hammocks, one would have to try really hard to put a child in it wrong, or put the actual hammock together improperly. However, again, I think it has to do with a different manufacturer. Ask your mom when she purchased it.

Last edited by frenchie; 02-28-2010 at 11:36 PM.
frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
cassieJJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't personally use something just because it is worth a lot of money. That said, I would totally use it with the replacement part!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm still using our Amby (though it's the Aussie version). There were two deaths in the Amby after 20+ years of no issues. Both were due to user error (one family hung it from the ceiling instead of the frame, the other put the baby with his head at the foot end of the bed). Every crib out there has had more reported problems than this bed and yet parents all over North America still use them.

Really, the Amby is very safe as long as you use it as directed!

Here's what the founder had to say about the recall:
http://www.babyhammocks.com/hammock-safety-concerns.htm
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.

Last edited by wordmama; 03-01-2010 at 06:25 AM.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #7
VWgurl619
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea, I've still be using mine too. Thats the only way my DD will sleep at night.

https://www.facebook.com/MickeyWorldTravelSaraRobinson
VWgurl619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I've ordered the replacement part so if we need to use it, we will. My version is from the states. I've looked at it and it seems really safe, not that i would just leave him in it without being supervised. (its more of a backup bed if our son has trouble sleeping in the crib or the snuggle nest).
Thanks for the advice.
Cara
Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
carazoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
I'm still using our Amby (though it's the Aussie version). There were two deaths in the Amby after 20+ years of no issues. Both were due to user error (one family hung it from the ceiling instead of the frame, the other put the baby with his head at the foot end of the bed). Every crib out there has had more reported problems than this bed and yet parents all over North America still use them.

Really, the Amby is very safe as long as you use it as directed!

Here's what the founder had to say about the recall:
http://www.babyhammocks.com/hammock-safety-concerns.htm
Yes...and the directions very specifically, and in bold type, says to NOT hang it from anything other than the Amby frame. How one could place their baby's head at the foot end of the bed is beyond me, since it's tilted down....but yeah, when I first read the recall story, it screamed human error to me. So sad for those parents.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would and have used it. My little girl didn't really love it so I stopped using it after a while but not because of the recall. Like a pp said, there have been MILLIONS of recalls and deaths with cribs yet people still use them. I wouldn't worry about the couple of deaths caused by misuse. I do however feel HORRIBLE for those families

Last edited by looking8186; 03-01-2010 at 10:40 AM.
looking8186 is offline   Reply With Quote