Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
budafam
Registered Users

WWYD?

My half brother has a 4 year old son with his 2nd ex-wife. His first son is now 24 years old and hardly ever talks to his dad... he has his own baby now and my brother rarely even sees his grandchild. I don't think this really matters but I'm just trying to give background here. My brother has a major anxiety disorder. He tends to stay away from large groups of people. He doesn't drive at all. He relies on his ex-wife for everything transportation wise. He works part time so that his son doesn't have to go into daycare but he's hardly making it on his part time paycheck. He gets all the help he can with food stamps but it's still not really enough for him to get by. Anyways, his 4 year old is so out of control. They do nothing for discipline. He screams, yells and runs around like crazy and they just laugh at him. He barely speaks either. He's never been away from his mom or dad throughout his entire life. When my mom passed away in the hospital, they came to the hospital with the boy and my brother went into see my mom (after she had passed)... I offered to keep the boy in the waiting room with me while they went in there, he started to whine a little and they took him in to see my mom's body! I couldn't believe they took a little kid in there to see his grandma after she was gone... I offer over and over to watch the boy so that he can play with his cousin but they always say that I couldn't handle him. I really want to just say back that they are the ones who can't handle him (but I won't). He also goes to bed around 3am everynight. There is no structure at all for him... he falls asleep wherever and just does whatever all the time. I guess this is more of a vent than asking for advice... I just feel helpless and sorry for my nephew when his parents are such pushovers. WWYD?

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Re: WWYD?

If they are open to changing their ways of parenting maybe you can get them a book about positive discipline methods or a book about bounadry setting.

If they are comfortable in their ways of parenting though, I don't really think that there is much you can do.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD?

There is probably nothing you can do. I'm sorry you have to see that happening though and not be able to fix it. I'm sure it's hard.