Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

How do you limit liquids to night train kids?

My DD has slept with either a sippy cup or a glass of water in her room/bed since nearly birth. Now she is 3 and we are working towards getting her into panties all night. I KNOW she can do it - she did it for nearly a week straight. I allow her as much water as she can put down at dinner time (6-ish) but after 7pm (bedtime is usually 7-8pm) I tell her no more liquids. She WAS doing fine with it, and I know it helps b/c the two nights I let her drink just before bed, she wet the bed - whereas the nights prior when I didn't, her panties and bed stayed dry. But now she is having a serious fit over this. I'm worried I'm being mean or expecting too much from her, yet she was fine with this just a few days ago...

What can I do? Am I doing this the right way?

I don't limit her liquid intake any other time of the day except naps and bed time. Naps the only rule is potty before, and no liquid immediately before, but I don't cut her off at a certain time. Other than that, she has access ALL DAY (and I make sure of this) to water.

What do you ladies think? Typical 3 yr old rebellion or am I going too far?

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you limit liquids to night train kids?

do you brush teeth before bed? we just tell them no drinks after brushing teeth and we brush teeth 1 hour before "bedtime"(then bath and read books and such). we tell my 23 month old that the sippy needs to go to bed too but that may not work on a 3 year old.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

We do brush teeth (When mommy remembers) but that is immediately before bed, and after bath. Bath, brush teeth, jammies, bed. Usually all happens one after the other within a half hour os so of bed.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
MommaToBubandCJ
Registered Users
seller

I give my DS a sippy cup at 6pm that has about 4 oz of water in it. He knows that's all the water he gets for the rest of the day. Usually, it's gone by 7 and we put him to bed at 8:30. Of course, he potties before bedtime. So far, that has really cut back on night accidents. The last few times he has had an accident at night, it was because we were out and about and eating a late dinner and he had a lot of liquids before bed.
MommaToBubandCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When we were making the transition to no liquids after dinner, we started by lowering the amount of water he was given little by little. And every night before we went to bed, we would take him potty. He would usually stay asleep during these "dream pees", and that allowed him to sleep the rest of the night without an accident. Soon after we started give him less and less, he just gave up the drink all together. We no longer take him to the toilet before we go to bed, as he wakes up on his own to use the toilet around 2am.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't. My Los can either hold it all night or they can't.

DS1 was a bedwetter until around 6. I could withhold liquid from him as soon as he finished dinner around 5:30, get him up at 10 to potty when I went to bed, and he would still be wet in the morning. His body just wasn't capable.

DD stopped going at night about a week after she day trained. She will literally go all night and then some. She doesn't race to the potty when she gets up and we don't require her to go right before bed. I just keep tabs on when she last went and if it was before dinner, I do encourage her to use the potty one last time before bed, IF she hasn't chosen to already.

We never do the sippy cup in bed thing. It just has never been something I've thought to do or something our LOs have requested.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
2Pinks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My youngest needed to have liquids restricted after dinner - meaning she got none - for her to be dry at night while she was PL'ing. Now that we are a year past she will wake up and take herself to the bathroom during the night if she has to go so she can have water after dinner.

My oldest, OTOH, it didn't matter whether she had liquids after dinner or not, she would wake up wet. It also didn't matter if we woke her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom - her body was just not ready for her to last all night until very recently and she is a very heavy sleeper. Now at 5 1/2, she is staying dry all night, or at least she has for over a month which is a long time for her. We still restrict her liquid intake after dinner.

~*~ My Biz ~*~
2Pinks is offline   Reply With Quote