Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Do you cook with beans?

I am hoping to incorporate more beans into my meals . . . anyone have any good recipes or links? They are so nutritious and cheap, and I'd like to start trying some new things . . .

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you cook with beans?

We eat a lot of pinto beans but that is really all. I cook them in the crock pot and then freeze them in batches so they are onhand when we want them. We ususally have them 2-3 times a week. : ) They make great burritos, refried beans, soups, etc. HTH
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
orteggleston
Registered Users
seller
seller

We eat a lot of pinto, black and red beans...I add them to all kinds of recipes.

To name a few...
Stuffed Bell Peppers
Red, beans and rice
BBQ chicken salad with black beans

I post recipes too...LMK if you're interested

ISO: Luxe Baby Wool
orteggleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I make a lot of hummus out of chick (garbanzo) beans... super easy and WAAAY cheap if you get them dried and rehydrate them!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
iloveaidan&finley
Registered Users
seller

Vegan black bean tacos (google for recipe), bow tie pasta w/black beans, pintos & rice, red beans & rice, black bean burgers, couscous w/black or red beans, black bean & corn salsa, and of course refried beans. PM me if you'd like some of these recipes.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We eat alot of beans..I have found you can add them to just about any current recipe that you know your family likes and tehy really don't change the flavor all that much..You can even squish them up and add to burger when making meatloaf.I also add them to salads.

one of our favorite things is a soup with the following:

32oz chicken broth more or less depending on how thick you want it

Leftover COOKED chicken (my husband like alot of chicken so I use a whole one..)
usually I use two cans each of red beans,great northern beans and 1 can of kidney beans and black beans.Make sure you rinse the beans.

Toss in tomatoes (canned or fresh)
a small can of green chilies (or you can buy the tomatoes and chilies mixed)

and let all this cook in the crockpot or on stovetop.I usually have enough soup for several meals and you can eat it as soup OR make taco salad out of it as well.My girls love it with shredded cheese and corn chips.

You can add your favorite campbells "cream of soup" too if you like..It is yummy with cream of chicken and also any of the cheese ones.

O,we like mixing blacl beans and rice as well

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
ChoiceSoaps
Registered Users

I've started adding to beans to basically any recipe that calls for ground beef. It's a very frugal and healthy! I throw an extra can in spaghetti sauce, soups, tacos, whatever. Kidney beans are a nice addition to a green salad too.
ChoiceSoaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #8
topview
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use white beans in place of chicken, pink in place of pork and black in place of beef. I just make it up and season as the recipe calls for and noone ever complains. The seasonings make it familar, the color is right and they get used to the texture.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
gardengirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

with canned beans just be careful when cooking because some can be salty. I use dried beans, rehydrating them and don't use any salt while cooking, then freeze them for quick meals. There is a vegetarian website that has lots of recipes using beans, I don't think I can post it here, but if you would like it let me know.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
corita
Registered Users

My Mood:

We do a lot of cooking with lentils and split peas here. They are nutritious and have the added bonus of not needing the soaking! I make a lot of soups and curries. PM me for recipes if anyone wants.

I also HIGHLY recommend The Enchanted Broccoli Forest for recipes in general. They are all vegetarian. It tells you how to make most basic stuff from scratch. Also the Moosewood Collective Cooks At Home Cookbook.

If you want to use meat and your beans, I have a killer crockpot recipe for chicken taco soup. Uses canned beans, which I always have on hand for quick dinners. I second and third what others have said about tortillas, burritos, etc. We love to make black beans and spinach fillings for burritos/quesadillas!
corita is offline   Reply With Quote