Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding and pregnancy ????

I just found out that I am expecting and they asked me if I was still nursing dd. I do 2x a day, and they told me that I need to wean her. Why???

Advertisement

Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding and pregnancy ????

Because most likely they don't know any better. There are a few women who have to stop for the health of their pregnancy, but most do not have to. If you are low risk, carrying a singleton pregnancy, you should be fine.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
herself75
Registered Users

My Mood:

no need to stop unless you are at risk. I BFd through 2 healthy PGs!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 2 pregnancies with no problems. I was curious, because I was somewhat surprised. Next to asking if I was taking my prenatals that was their next question.
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
sweetppolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I nursed with my last until she self weaned when I was about four months along. My doc never asked and I didn't volunteer. I guess he figured since my dd was over a year we couldn't still be nursing I gave birth to a healthy dd in November so it didn't hurt my pregnancy at all.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
Sweetforestcat
Registered Users
seller

There is no need to wean at all. SOme docs are just so uninformed. Your body and uterus is already used to you nursing, your body will have no problems adjusting to nursing and being pregnant. Just make sure you are drinking more liquids and eating more healthy foods since you are nourishing 2 babies now.

My doc said I needed to wean at 8 mos PG but I am not planning on doing this at all. Nursing suddenly all at once after months of a break is what will cause ctx but not breastfeeding all along with a toddler. Your body is used to it by now.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I told my midwives I was still nursing my DS they both congratulated me and recommended I follow his signs as to when to stop. We stopped in the middle of my second trimester, but only because my milk dried up. Neither one of us was happy about it, but it was out of our hands. Here's a good link for tandem nursing and nursing through pregnancy if you are interested in reading more about it.
http://kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html
And congrats on the pregnancy!

ETA: Oh yeah, I told my DSs pediatrician when I became pregnant that I was still nursing and planned to continue. She had the same response to it as the midwives. She was not at all concerned that it would hinder the pregnancy either.

Last edited by ~stacy~; 02-04-2007 at 06:54 AM.
~stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I guess I was lucky because my doctor said his wife nursed through 4 of her 5 pregnancies....he actually said you better not wean him if you get pregnant . I won't and didn't plan to anyway

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, you're really lucky, Meagan!
This is my third time nursing while pg. During my second pregnancy, my firstborn was still an infant and my doctor said I should wean. We half-heartedly tried, but he wouldn't even take breastmilk from a bottle, let alone formula! Thank God! Anyway, he nursed until he was a year old, at which time my milk dried up as I was half way through my pregnancy - this is a typical time to have either VERY low supply or have it dry up totally for a little while. When I was pregnant with my fourth, I was still nursing Torrin. I had a much better doctor that time and she just congratulated me on making it past a year. I switched to a midwife during that pregnancy and had my daughter at home. My midwives said that the only difference they've seen nursing during pregnancy make is that some women end up having a slightly longer pregnancy if they're nursing than if they were not. My milk, again, dried up about halfway through pregnancy and Torrin weaned when he was about 19-20mo. I think Eliana is more likely to continue on and tandem nurse, seeing as she'll be about 21mo when #5 is born - plus she's a lot more attached to nursing as she does not take a pacifier like all her brothers did.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
jenni
Registered Users
seller

Both my midwives and pediatrician have been completely fine with my nursing throughout my pregnancy-- I would guess your doctor just doesn't know any better.

Metta Creations/
jenni is offline   Reply With Quote