Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
cnlatl149
Registered Users

Woah! Shipping is expensive!!

I just sold my first ever diaper on DS, 24 infant prefolds. The shipping was $9!! How do other mamas include shipping in their price?? I did NOT make enough money on this!

Advertisement

cnlatl149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Re: Woah! Shipping is expensive!!

Most mamas sell prefolds knowing there isn't a big profit margin on them. Since they're bulky and heavy to ship.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
StitchHappyMama.com
Registered Users
Formerly: mostlymerrymary
seller
seller

My Mood:

Prefolds are expensive to ship - sorry you lost out on this one. I promise though, we've all underestimated shipping before.

For heavy items like prefolds, I usually see if they'll fit into a flat rate box and then add the postage amount onto what I would like to make from the sale. Don't forget to include your paypal fees into your price too

ISO: Abeka Grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 curriculum, soapmaking and body product making supplies IHA: diaper-sewing, custom mama cloth, more!
Need mama cloth? PM me
StitchHappyMama.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
cnlatl149
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybeth View Post
Most mamas sell prefolds knowing there isn't a big profit margin on them. Since they're bulky and heavy to ship.
I figured they'd be expensive, but had no idea how expensive! I'm trying to switch my stash from prefolds to flats, so I was hoping for enough $ to buy some flats to try out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlymerrymary View Post
Prefolds are expensive to ship - sorry you lost out on this one. I promise though, we've all underestimated shipping before.

For heavy items like prefolds, I usually see if they'll fit into a flat rate box and then add the postage amount onto what I would like to make from the sale. Don't forget to include your paypal fees into your price too
How much are flat rate boxes? As in, how much does it cost to ship them? Also, how much are paypal fees? I noticed $1 was taken from my $. Is there a rule for how much they take?
cnlatl149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
sjanea74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can calc your PP fees at ppcalc.com Its usually $.30 plus 2.9% of the transaction amount.

For flat rate box fees and to calc postage and info you can look it here.

If you print postage from home you get cheaper delivery confirmation (free is you ship priority). If you print the label right from your PP transaction it records the delivery confirmation and notifies the buyer of the shipping information as well

sjanea74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
StitchHappyMama.com
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A medium flat rate box is $10.70, and a large one is $14.50. The prices are slightly less if you pay through paypal, plus you get free delivery confirmation when you pay for postage and ship priority mail thru paypal.

Paypal fees are generally 2.9% of the total purchase, plus $.30 per transaction. For example: say you sold something for $20 (including shipping). Paypal would get $.88 in fees ($20 x 2.9% (.58) + .30 = $.88.

If somebody pays across a border, it's considered an international purchase and that tags on another $1. There are other fees and the % can change a bit under certain circumstances, but these are the most common.

ISO: Abeka Grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 curriculum, soapmaking and body product making supplies IHA: diaper-sewing, custom mama cloth, more!
Need mama cloth? PM me
Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Rainshine Designs
formerly "meganbathgate"
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlymerrymary View Post
A medium flat rate box is $10.70, and a large one is $14.50. The prices are slightly less if you pay through paypal, plus you get free delivery confirmation when you pay for postage and ship priority mail thru paypal.

Paypal fees are generally 2.9% of the total purchase, plus $.30 per transaction. For example: say you sold something for $20 (including shipping). Paypal would get $.88 in fees ($20 x 2.9% (.58) + .30 = $.88.

If somebody pays across a border, it's considered an international purchase and that tags on another $1. There are other fees and the % can change a bit under certain circumstances, but these are the most common.
But not the Canada/US border, the fees are the same for us.

Enter code DSMAMA at checkout to receive 5% off your order.
Rainshine Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
StitchHappyMama.com
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainshine Designs View Post
But not the Canada/US border, the fees are the same for us.
I learn something new every day! I actually bought something from a Canadian mama (yesterday maybe?) and as a courtesy, tagged on the extra buck. I'm still glad I did it but this is good to know

Need mama cloth? PM me
Old 03-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
quirkbean
Registered Users
Formerly: ShortStackCustoms
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I've done this too. I sold 2 dozen flats, each dozen to two different mommas. I only charged 15ppd, and it was 10.75 to ship them *rollseyes* We've all been there. Paying for shipping stink
Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
benjimama
Registered Users

UGH! Thats so expensive! I was just thinking of selling a dozen prefolds too, but I'm pretty weary now...
benjimama is offline   Reply With Quote