Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:
Homemade Convenience Meals- Questions

We recently put ODD on something similar to the Feingold Diet, which is:

1. No Sugar
2. No High Fructose Corn Syrup
3. No Artifical Flavors or Preservatives
4. No Dyes/Articial Coloring

She is doing wonderful (behavior) since starting it, but I'm running into situations where I need to feed her fast or DH needs to feed her a meal and I need something fast. DH eats a very different diet from my ODD and I (I'm eating Brewer for pregnancy right now). He just eats crap in a can most of the times (seriously, a family can of baked beans for lunch... not cool!).

I was thinking of fixing and dishing single sized servings and freezing them for quick/easy eating for her. My questions are this:

-What is the safest/best way to freeze in single size (needs to be able to re-heat in the same dish)?
-What things DO NOT freeze well (so I don't try and fail!)?

Right now, I have these few ideas for making;
-Macaroni and Cheese w/ Ham bits
-Beef Goulash
-Chicken Soup
-Chicken Breasts

umm... that's it She's a funny eater. Not picky, but does not like things that are too 'mixed together'. A lot of hotdishes won't work, same for most soups (I make mine with BIG veggie chuncks so she can see everything). Any ideas for this?

A HUGE thanks in advance- I'm getting worn down by her diet already, but I know it will be much easier if DH can go back to helping in feeding her, like he used to, but now feels too uncomfortable to do (don't ask... he's SUCH a guy! LOL).

Advertisement

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Convenience Meals- Questions

Or, if there is a thread already like this, feel free to direct me there!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Waiting4babybump
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ive heard (very little) of this diet before. How do you find supermarket stuff that fits the criteria? Or is it mostly whole wheats and produce? If so then I would suggest you use snacks to round out a meal as an alternative or addition to frozen meals:

-hard boiled egg
-organic yogurt
-home made bread toast topped with tomato, or guac or spinach or natural peanut butter, etc
-organic string cheese
-celery sticks with fun dippers (pureed fruit or baby food?)
-pasta with homemade tomato sauce

(this was pretty much my diet when I was preggers and for the first month post partum, when I needed to eat around the clock)
Waiting4babybump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4babybump View Post
Ive heard (very little) of this diet before. How do you find supermarket stuff that fits the criteria? Or is it mostly whole wheats and produce? If so then I would suggest you use snacks to round out a meal as an alternative or addition to frozen meals:

-hard boiled egg
-organic yogurt
-home made bread toast topped with tomato, or guac or spinach or natural peanut butter, etc
-organic string cheese
-celery sticks with fun dippers (pureed fruit or baby food?)
-pasta with homemade tomato sauce

(this was pretty much my diet when I was preggers and for the first month post partum, when I needed to eat around the clock)
What you listed is pretty much what we are eating now... The celery w/ dippers is a good idea, and we have plenty of baby food lying around! For supermarket foods, we find a lot of things in the organic section (Cub, our grocery store has a good selection). Ezekiel products are what we eat for grains, some Kashi works well. Fruit leathers, 100% fruit juice, Polaners Jelly is 100% fruit. Most regular cottage cheeses, string cheeses, sour creams, cream cheeses and butters are fine. Plain yogurt that we mix berries into... What is hard/expensive is nitrate free meats. Oh, and oatmeal is a staple here too! But yes, a lot of produce (or frozen produce sometimes too).

I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to pull out some mac and cheese and microwave it for a quick meal. I have found a recipe for chicken nuggets that I can flash freeze raw and then quick fry them as needed and a mac and cheese that doesn't need to be baked (15 minute cook time!).

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
MommyMarshall
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could try making homemade ravioli. I did that once and it was so delicious. I haven't frozen it ahead of time yet though, so I don't know how that would work (It is on my list of things to try freezing before baby comes).

If you haven't heard of it yet, you should check out passionatehomemaking.com it is a great resource for whole food cooking on a budget and she has some freezer suggestions. She follows the Weston A Price / Nourishing Traditions diet.

Hope you come up with some easy meals! Glad to hear it is helping your LO
Our DS was running into major emotional issues when he ate any sugar or processed anything. It is definitely worth it changing the diet.
MommyMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

thanks for posting this. i'm watching so i want to bump it. you know from our conversation in special needs that i'm putting my oldest on feingold diet too and it's SO hard. I'm just focusing on the things you are working on right now with basically super low sugar, no high fructose corn syrup and no dyes and preservatives and that in and of itself is just overwhelming. dyes are in EVERYTHING.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilymomma View Post
What you listed is pretty much what we are eating now... The celery w/ dippers is a good idea, and we have plenty of baby food lying around! For supermarket foods, we find a lot of things in the organic section (Cub, our grocery store has a good selection). Ezekiel products are what we eat for grains, some Kashi works well. Fruit leathers, 100% fruit juice, Polaners Jelly is 100% fruit. Most regular cottage cheeses, string cheeses, sour creams, cream cheeses and butters are fine. Plain yogurt that we mix berries into... What is hard/expensive is nitrate free meats. Oh, and oatmeal is a staple here too! But yes, a lot of produce (or frozen produce sometimes too).

I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to pull out some mac and cheese and microwave it for a quick meal. I have found a recipe for chicken nuggets that I can flash freeze raw and then quick fry them as needed and a mac and cheese that doesn't need to be baked (15 minute cook time!).
juice. what juice do you use? i know i won't be able to keep it low sugar without doing splenda or whatever for sweetener in it but lots of 100% fruit juices aren't really GOOD for you ya know? I find they tend to have dyes and they always contain apple juice. Apples are a HUGE feingold no-no.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hormel has a natural deli meat line that is no preservatives. 8 oz. for around $2.50 I think. I don't know anything other than what you've said in pp about the diet, but you might want to check it out to see if it would work.

Quick items that we've frozen
English Muffin breakfast sandwiches (ham, egg, and cheese)
Burritos (hamburger and bean with cheese
Chicken noodle soup (homemade stock, chicken, noodles, and big chunks of carrot and celery)
Taco meat (thaw and use to make nachos)

I would guess that the bread items mentioned may have preservatives. I make all my own breads, so I know what's in them. If you need any recipes, I would be happy to share.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
circle_of_life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hummus and veggies, all natural peanut butter and apple or good bread, cheese quesadillas, homemade granola bars or healthy cookies or muffins. I know the quesadillas would freeze well, so do muffins.
circle_of_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
BeBe Bottoms
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinlife87
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm bumping this is interesting!
BeBe Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote