Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
Rebelsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homemade Convenience Meals- Questions

Spaghetti sauce is a staple in my house (maybe because I'm Italian). I cook a big batch and defrost it for spaghetti, homemade pizza (bread product eg english muffin, homemade pizza dough etc, sauce, cheese, toppings if wanted) lasagna etc. When I was a kid my mom would bake a ham, turkey, pot roast etc on Sunday for dinner. Monday she would make sandwiches, Tuesday shed make taquitos from the pot roast, wednesday she would shred it up, etc.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

GREAT ideas! I'm still looking for a tortilla that she can have. I'll probably have to start making my own- that was a staple in this house before the changes. This week we are going to try and re-introduce some sugar (my hunch is that she is most sensitive to dyes, red and yellows). For bread, we use Ezekiel Bread.

I don't have the Feingold materials. I've just been told that what we are doing is similar. We've still been allowing natural sugars (all fruits and veg., raw agave nectar, raw honey...) It's still a process though- I didn't want to burn out by making too many changes at once, and couldn't afford to throw out everything we had in the cupboards and replace, so we have been phasing things out. We are still doing pasta (which is probably not the best, but again, another staple here).

I just did the grocery shopping for the next 2 weeks, and we are going to flash freeze chicken tenders to fry up, do single servings of mac and cheese, frozen, lots of fruits and veggies again. DD won't eat peanut butter, which drives me crazy! I love 'real' peanut butter and use it to get my protein in often. She won't even eat Peanut Butter Bumpers (a cereal that's OK for her)...

I am interested in making muffins now- I hadn't though of that! Maybe a bran muffin sweetened with honey?

Last week we make pizza burgers w/ the ezekiel bread, spaghetti sauce (we use ragu- seems to work fine for her), Pesto on mine instead, ground turkey, frozen broccoli, shredded cheese... and baked. I suppose I could throw these together, flash freeze and have DH broil them for a few minutes to reheat and melt the cheese- this would be fast!

Keep the ideas coming! If you guys want, I could post our meal plan for the next two weeks along with the snacks we bought.

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

a meal plan would be great!!!! tonight for dinner we had whole wheat pasta with cream of celery(homemade, think i found it on the pioneer woman's tasty kitchen site????) and steamed broccoli and carrots and the kids had some antibiotic-free, hormone-free, organic chicken breast cut up over top. for breakfast we are having homemade wheat bread made into french toast and topped with some margarine and frozen blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. Makes a lot of juice when you thaw frozen fruit so that's our "syrup." Lunch will be on the run at whole foods most likely(salad and bean burritos???) as we are doing a science project together and the little ones are headed to daddy's house.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
FlyballJRT
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We freeze just about everything around here--we make our own bread/tortillas and freeze it. We freeze pasta dishes, rice dishes, soups, freshly cooked veggies we don't think we'll eat, etc. etc. etc. We just buy microwave/freezer safe dishes and reuse them, probably wouldn't go over well with a lot of the mamas that don't use plastic but right now that's what we do.

Offhand, some of the things I've frozen
Mac and cheese (completely homemade) with tuna/spinach
southwestern casserole (rice/beans/spinach/salsa/cheese)
Any meat dish cooked and with sides
Enchiladas
Fajita fillings
Stirfry
. . . yeah, basically anything. I work a sporadic schedule and stock pile foods in the freezer for when I'm busy and don't have time to cook. It works great! We do lots of individual servings for DH for lunch too.
FlyballJRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyballJRT View Post
We freeze just about everything around here--we make our own bread/tortillas and freeze it. We freeze pasta dishes, rice dishes, soups, freshly cooked veggies we don't think we'll eat, etc. etc. etc. We just buy microwave/freezer safe dishes and reuse them, probably wouldn't go over well with a lot of the mamas that don't use plastic but right now that's what we do.

Offhand, some of the things I've frozen
Mac and cheese (completely homemade) with tuna/spinach
southwestern casserole (rice/beans/spinach/salsa/cheese)
Any meat dish cooked and with sides
Enchiladas
Fajita fillings
Stirfry
. . . yeah, basically anything. I work a sporadic schedule and stock pile foods in the freezer for when I'm busy and don't have time to cook. It works great! We do lots of individual servings for DH for lunch too.
Will you share your tortilla recipe? Please?!!! I am dying to have these around!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
Old 03-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #16
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I plan 10 dinners and 5 lunches for 2 weeks, plus snacks. Left overs usually cover the gaps.

This 2 weeks plan is:
Goulash
Artichoke Spaghetti
Homemade Pizz
Orange Roasted Chicken
***We are not using the soup packet, so these are our ingredients for the sauce.
- 1c. orange juice
-1TBSP Soy sauce
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1/2 onion chopped
-Seasoning
Pork Stir Fry
Baked Chicken Breasts
-melt 2tbsp butter in a sauce pan
-coat chicken breasts in melted butter
-dredge with flour, bread crumbs, parmesean and seasoning
-bake at 400degrees for 20-25 minutes
Chicken Parmigiana- can't find link, but it's also from The Pioneer Woman. Found it
Shrimp Penne
Chicken Azteca (crock pot sticky from IN The Kitchen here on DS)
Hearty Lentil Stew (crock pot sticky again)

Lunch
Chicken Tenders
Chicken Stock which will turn into chicken noodle soup, chicken salad and part of the meat will go into the Chicken azteca
Stove-top mac and cheese (flour butter, ground mustard, s&p, milk, sharp cheddar over mac noodles).
Homemade pizza again

I'm also making truffles THIS and THIS for birthday gifts (mom and grandpa) and a Grits Pie for a Pi(e) party this sunday. These totally don't fit into our diet, but they are not for us!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...

Last edited by Whimsy Twist; 03-13-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
juice. what juice do you use? i know i won't be able to keep it low sugar without doing splenda or whatever for sweetener in it but lots of 100% fruit juices aren't really GOOD for you ya know? I find they tend to have dyes and they always contain apple juice. Apples are a HUGE feingold no-no.
R.W. Knutsen

Ingredients: Juice from whole ripe organic pears, ascorbic acid

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...