Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:
Boys and Potty Training- Help Me!

My ds is about 26 months. He knows when he's wet and stinky. He even sometimes undresses if he is wet. He will tell me after he goes potty. He likes to sit on the potty FOREVER.

All this would indicate that he ready to train, right? But he has absolutely no interest in actually peeing in his potty. Even though all the signs are there, I still don't think he seems ready mentally and I don't want to keep hounding him about going on the potty.

What ages are most boys trained by? How do you know when to start? How can you tell they are ready? HELP! This is my first boy and I am at a loss! My girls trained so easy.

Any tips would be great!

Beth

Advertisement

bethkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Boys and Potty Training- Help Me!

Beth - We are in the midst of potty training Andy right now - day 3 has now ended in "naked potty world" as we call it! Andy is 2 yrs. 4 mo. old. He knows what the potty is for and now we are working on the timing of getting to the potty in time! He'll get it!

For the first 2 days, we turned up the heat, blocked the carpeted areas off, and let him play "naked" (no pants/diaper/underwear on - shirt and socks on though) in the kitchen and dining area which are linoleum. I've heard this from several others that this works for boys. It has worked for us so far! 2 days of completely naked and, now, today I put training underwear/waterproof trainers on him, let him run in the living room and the kitchen area. He peed in his underwear once today and pooed once. Other than that, he told us when he needed to go!

I just told Andy that there were no diapers other than when he was sleeping (naps/nighttime) and that he has to wear big boy underwear like Daddy and Mommy. I explained to him that Daddy and Mommy don't go potty in their underwear - we use the potty and that he needs to do the same. It is working for us so far!

This is our first and only so, I am newer to potty training than you are! Good luck! Any tips for us would be much appreciated to once you get to the point where they are wearing underwear but sometimes forget that it isn't a diaper (my sister is going through this right now with my nephew who is 3.5 yrs. old).
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

david is almost 4 in april and finally i dont have to remind him constantly of going to the potty. he didnt care at all either. so i use tot ake him religiosly to the potty every 2hrs. so it took me around 2yrs
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well, Donovan turned 4 in January and he still isn't PT. SO... I am probably the last person to ask for advice
Anyways, I have some advice given to me (that did not work on my DS, but sounded great:
1. Cherios in the toilet- make them aim and shoot
2. buy them big boy underwear
3. put the big boy underwear and then the training pants so they really get the feel of the wetness (I used HH trainers and MOE trainers that pulled most of the moisture away)
4. just wait until they are ready.
BTW, my son is speech delayed, so we have a little more probbies communicating. So not all boys will take this long
Old 02-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
bethkay
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to give them a try. I like the naked potty world idea. The aiming for cheerios sounds cute!

I think he's ready in some ways, but then again I am not sure if he is quite big enough. But I would love to give it a try.

I think one of my nephews was right around 4 when he finally got it down.
bethkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Zane will be three in April. Some days he does great, other days he only pees in the potty once. He will NOT poop in the potty. I just make sure he has enough absorbency if he pees, and plenty of opportunity to use the potty. He'll get it when he's ready.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest potty trained shortly after his 3rd birthday and I'm hoping that ds#2 will too. He just turned 3 in Jan and is now starting to tell me right when he poops but he could care less when he pees. They both have known what the potty is and would sit on it but didn't really show any interest in it till now. I was hoping ds#2 would train sooner because he wanted to be like his big brother but that doesn't seem to be working! Oh well he won't go to college in diapers, right?
Old 02-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout18 View Post
Oh well he won't go to college in diapers, right?
i was hoping he did i loved my fluff too much
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyG View Post
i was hoping he did i loved my fluff too much

Yeah, my friend said they won't get married wearing training pants LOL!
My DS is also lazy. I still push around a double stroller because he doesn't want to walk. But I was like that too. I used to tell my mom, "carry me! My tummy hurts!"

Last edited by loni1090; 02-04-2007 at 06:29 PM.
loni1090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Mom22Boys2005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son trained at 26 months.

My suggestion is to take the diapers away completely. Ask him to potty, but if he says no, that is ok. He may have a few accidents, and it may be very inconvenient, but those accidents, and your positive reinforcement will help him learn the last little bit that he needs to "get it."

I did the ask thing for one week, then the next week he started telling me he needed to pee, and never had another accident after that first week.
Mom22Boys2005 is offline   Reply With Quote