Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nervous about tandem nursing

I am 17 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 15 month old dd. She is *mostly* down to nursing just before nap and just before bed. She does occasionally nurse once or twice more if she is sick or gets hurt or something and can't calm down. I don't mind nursing her now and wouldn't mind to continue nursing until she self-weans, but most of the stories I hear about tandem nursing; their toddlers end up nursing as much as the newborn when the baby comes b/c they see the baby nursing all the time, then they want to also. I'm thinking that if that's the case, I'd rather encourage her to wean while I'm pregnant so I don't have to deal with the tantrums later. Any advice? Did anyone NOT have a toddler do this? Is is possible to keep her on the same schedule of only 2-3 times a day even after the baby comes? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
isabelsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nervous about tandem nursing

My girl was 2.5 when I got pregnant and I fully expected to tandem nurse. DD ended up weaning during the pregnancy. She did ask to nurse maybe 3 times after the baby was born (when she knew I had milk again), and I let her try. She kindof "played nursing" a few times, I honestly think she was just trying to see if I would let her/say it was ok. The fact that I did say yes seemed to make her feel good, but she did not have the actual need or want to nurse and it just stopped being a focus for her. She asked maybe 6 months ago (she is 4 now) and had forgotten how. She asked again about nursing (not if she could, just kindof talking about it, saying Baby Rae nurses but she doesn't anymore because she's big. ) So, really, my main point for you is that I worried about it too, worried that I wouldn't have enough energy, that constantly nursing them would just take all my time and drain me completely. This obviously didn't end up being the case. So, my advice is, read up on tandem nursing a bit, and then let it go. Wait and see before worrying. I'm sure everything will be fine.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I am nursing my 4 year old and my 22 month old along with my 1 week old. This is my 2nd time tandem nursing. Neither time have either of the girls nursed as much as the baby. b If they did/had, we'd probably just set some boundaries.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! I know it's pretty early to be worrying. I just know that if I do decide to wean her, I would like to do that a few months before my due month so that she doesn't associate a new baby arriving with not getting to nurse any longer.

Now trying to convince annoying family members that tandem nursing is normal and natural...THAT'S another thread! I can just hear it now!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
dimples_giggles_1009
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

what is tandem nursing??
dimples_giggles_1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples_giggles_1009 View Post
what is tandem nursing??
It's when your nurse 2 or more children at a time. Like a toddler and a newborn.