Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
tips for a PLing 16mo toddler??

dd is really interested in using the potty so she's started sitting on it (and had two poopoo successes ) but ds didn't PL until after his 3rd birthday so i'm TOTALLY out of my element here she's in trainers right now because she has a cast on her leg and the last thing we need is a pee-drenched cast but i do plan on lots of naked time once we get ditch the cast.

should i be sitting her on the potty at regular intervals or just responding to her when she wants to go? earlier she said potty and i went to take her and i'm pretty sure she was peeing right then and there so it was just a near miss. sometimes she'll head to the bathroom but then by the time i get her undies down and sit her up there she wants right down and pitches a little fit. since i don't plan on making 'take me to the potty' a fun game we play all day, i make her sit for a minute before she can get down, but i don't want her to associate the potty with negative feelings, kwim? also, what do you do for out and about? we're definitely going to stick to diapers and/or waterproof trainers for now, but how do you let them use the potty in public? she's so tiny and there's no way i'm putting her on a nasty public toilet seat and our potty seat is kinda big to haul around everywhere.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! i'd love to be out of diapers by her 2nd birthday

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: tips for a PLing 16mo toddler??

Well, we paused PT when my son broke his leg. I mean, we still let him try if he asked to go but there was no way I was chancing a urine soaked cast with using undies/trainers, even with covers.

No matter what the age of child, it's approached the same way. What you did with your son should work with your daughter.
Keep postive. Provide opportunity. Don't push. Expect good days & bad. Don't punish for accidents. Praise praise praise!

They sell fold up potty inserts to carry out & about. Look for "folding child potty seat insert" online. For going out, you should have her wear what you are comfortable with. Just be sure to bring a change of clothes with you

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 03-06-2010 at 07:06 PM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

It's great that your 16 mnth old is interested in the potty. I would suggest that you try to offer the potty at regular intervals since you have to keep her completely diapered because of the cast.

There is a great small potty that the mom's in my diaper free baby group always rave about. It is called the Pottett Plus. You can use it as a stand alone potty or put it over the toilet.
http://www.potette.com/

There are several options for what to do when out. Offer the potty before going into the place, in your car. Find out where the bathroom is when you get in the store and take the child there when you see she has to go or go back out to the car.

Going diaperless should work out well because you will be able to see right away when she is going and there is no clothing obstacle so she can just sit on the potty right away.

By the way there is a potty learning forum on DS that you might be interested in.

Best wishes,
Rossana
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
Well, we paused PT when my son broke his leg. I mean, we still let him try if he asked to go but there was no way I was chancing a urine soaked cast with using undies/trainers, even with covers.

No matter what the age of child, it's approached the same way. What you did with your son should work with your daughter.
Keep postive. Provide opportunity. Don't push. Expect good days & bad. Don't punish for accidents. Praise praise praise!

They sell fold up potty inserts to carry out & about. Look for "folding child potty seat insert" online. For going out, you should have her wear what you are comfortable with. Just be sure to bring a change of clothes with you
yeah she actually didn't even want to start using the potty until right AFTER she got her cast it definitely wasn't my idea but she's pretty adamant that she wants to sit on the potty so i've been taking her. right now she's wanting to sit a LOT so the trainers are more for my convenience than anything, it was getting really old laying her down to put her diaper back on every 20 minutes. :/ the trainers and babylegs seem to be working ok so far, the trainers seem to be catching the tidal wave and we haven't had a pee running down the leg incident yet

with ds i basically had to BRIBE him to finally start using the potty (sticker chart, pennies, rewards, etc) and i figured those things wouldn't translate for dd when she did go on the potty today i definitely hyped it up, let her flush, sang a song, did a dance, etc

thanks for the folding potty seat, i'll definitely look around for one of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA View Post
Hi there!

It's great that your 16 mnth old is interested in the potty. I would suggest that you try to offer the potty at regular intervals since you have to keep her completely diapered because of the cast.

There is a great small potty that the mom's in my diaper free baby group always rave about. It is called the Pottett Plus. You can use it as a stand alone potty or put it over the toilet.
http://www.potette.com/

There are several options for what to do when out. Offer the potty before going into the place, in your car. Find out where the bathroom is when you get in the store and take the child there when you see she has to go or go back out to the car.

Going diaperless should work out well because you will be able to see right away when she is going and there is no clothing obstacle so she can just sit on the potty right away.

By the way there is a potty learning forum on DS that you might be interested in.

Best wishes,
Rossana
oh i didn't know there was a whole separate forum! i know about the EC forum, but i figured we didn't fit in that category

anyway, that pottett looks awesome! i like the idea of being able to take it with us in the car. with ds we just went straight to a potty seat on the toilet (honestly, i'd rather deal with diapers than dumping and cleaning poo and pee from a little potty chair ) so we're doing that with dd at home, but an out and about option would be great. thank you!

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote