Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
allergy help

I am wondering if there is anything natural that I can give to my oldest ds, dd, and ds3 (ds2 has no allergies ) ds1 is 5 and is on a ton of allergy meds singulair, zyrtec, and nasonex. He is on them almost year round if not he suffers with super red itchy eyes, runny nose, he has tubes in his ears but if it were not for those in place he would have constant fluid in his ears with complaints of hearing. I don't know what to do. I hate that he is on all these meds almost all year round. our allergist told us we could try allergy shots but could not promise results and said as long as we lived in florida he would suffer with allergies. I feel so bad for him. I know all those meds just can't be good. My dd and ds3 also suffer from seasonal allergies. Just wondering if there are any nautral remedies that might offer some relief part of the time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We also take great care in the house to eliminate allergens special hepa filters, little to no carpet, vaccuum daily or every other and so on and so forth....

jessica SAHM to brandon 10, jacob 8, olivia 7, adrian 5, and peyton 4, charlotte 1. and Judah 4 months
jraejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: allergy help

If you can get your hands on local natural honey you can try that for the seasonal allergy’s. The closer it is made to you the better.
First girl born 10/31/09 6lb14oz
Second girl born 7/3/12 - 4 weeks early-only 1 week in the NICU
Swag with me - Zoombucks!
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Registered Users

I was also going to suggest the local honey. Also, do you know what their allergies are? Do they have any food sensitivities that could be contributing to the problem? Lastly, is there any chance of y'all moving to somewhere with fewer allergens?
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

You may want to look into food allergies that cause the problem. DD and I both have terrible seasonal and year-round allergies (hayfever symptoms) when we eat Gluten/wheat. I lived with an itchy throat and runny sneezy nose until I was 27, then as soon as I stopped eating gluten everything went away. In the spring I have very mild sneezing for a week or so, and that's it. DD had similar to your kiddo, very itchy eyes (they would puff up too), tons of sneezing, and a nose that ran non-stop. One day I noticed that she had been carrying around her "cloth" all day every day for months to wipe her nose. As soon as she went off gluten, everything stopped for her too. It is amazing!

I think that if there is some kind of food allergy that is stressing your body it overloads your system when pollen is added in there. I would have never thought my pollen/cat/mold allergies were related to something I ate.

DD can eat a little wheat here and there, usually in the off-season when pollen counts are low around here. I do notice that she will have a sneezy day after a piece of cake or something. We are stricter in the spring and summer when pollen counts are high, otherwise her eyes get really bad too.

You may want to try an elimination diet with your LOs and see if anything changes. Just remember that it can take a couple of weeks without the offending food to see results.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

If you can swing it (and it's usually pretty cheap) have them drink only distilled water, no tap/regular water. The distilled water flushes allergens better and can reduce the severity or even get rid of allergies. My seasonal allergies were pretty bad in high school, then my mom did the distilled water thing. I NEVER thought it'd work but drank just the distilled water for 2 weeks to humor her. My allergies were pretty much GONE and they stayed away for 7 years. I was quite shocked, but very happy.
Gaming Star Wars Geek married to the love of my life. Cosleeping , Breastfeeding , Babywearing , CDing , ECing, Nonvaxing, Noncircing, BLWing, HS hopeful WAHM to my Jedi 7-2003, and my munchkin 8-2009.
Xeniphia is offline   Reply With Quote