Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
dishes, and gates..recommendations please!!

K so I've got a month's worth of Amazon Prime for free and am attempting to make the most of my free shipping (I can't drive, so this is a big deal to me). My LO is only 6 months, but I was wondering what kind of dishes do you have? When do you start using them? Right now she just make a mess on her high chair tray (or towel/blanket on the floor).

Anything else kid-related you can think of that I'll need to get soon, feel free to make suggestions. I'm also researching safety gates for the stairs.

Thanks so much!

Advertisement

ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
sjmj
Registered Users

Re: dishes, and gates..recommendations please!!

I can not tell you much about stair gates. Ours came with our house when we bought it and company can never figure them out. I think they are made by Safety 1st but not sure.

As for dishes, we used to have really pretty pottery ones but they were very heavy, chipped easy and took up alot of room. We purchased Corelle and love it. They are very lightweight. My kids had no problem taking their dishes to the sink when they were done eating (started this with the 2 1/2 year-old). They stack well, which was great for our ever growing family. We can fit more than twice the amount of dishes in the same place as our old set. They are pretty unbreakable - our 1 year old eats off them. If they do break, they are very cheap to replace and I also think they have some sort of warrenty but it is just as easy for me to just get another one. We just have the plain white ones but they come in all sorts of shapes and designs.
sjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hadn't even thought of corelle...we had them growing up!

anyone else?
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We love Corelle too!
My boys can drop them and they won't break. Well, except the glasses because they are actual glass & not what the dishes & plates are made out of.
For daycare, I use cheap melamine character plates. Garage sale finds! If we didn't have those though, I'd use corelle then too for the durability factor.
Baby gates.
We have some plastic squeeze ones, a walk thru gate one, and a hardware mounted one.
For the top of stairs, you gotta go hardware mounted. If they fall against the gate or climb it when you aren't looking, you don't want it shooting down the stairs with them on it
For the bottom of stairs, we have a walk thru gated one. I HATE it because the gate isn't very wide so I have to heave our laundry baskets over it. And the door from our garage is right there too, so we always have doors hitting each other. I want to get a retractable gate for that space but they start at $100! Yikes!
The squeeze ones are okay but easily take the paint off your walls where they are pushed against the wall & kids can push them over.
There is no 1 right gate for all situations. Depends on where you want to put it & how it works for that area.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our gated one is "Summer Breeze".
Our squeeze ones are "Safety First" and "The First Years".
Our metal gated top of stairs hardware mounted one is "KidKraft".

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 03-08-2010 at 08:56 AM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote