Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
crunch!910
Registered Users

Christianity and circumcision

DS is circed, but now that I know better I've mentioned any future sons will not be. A friend on my facebook page attacked me as not being a true Chrisitan and that I'm disobeying God.

Please help me out here! I know that in corinthians and galations it was talked badly about. I think Paul said that you don't ahve to be either.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christianity and circumcision

Here you go
http://www.noharmm.org/christianparent.htm
http://www.circumstitions.com/Xy.html
http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/christian.html

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
fluffybutt
Banned

My Mood:

I'm not sure why this is in carseats..
fluffybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
crunch!910
Registered Users

sORRY! WRONG forum! :S I had two tabs up, and meant to put this in parenting. :s
Old 03-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
MommaFinds
Registered Users

My Mood:

Why are you deciding not to, out of curiosity? We were talked out of circumcision with our first, but then regretted it because he got a painful infection. Luckily he has not had one since, but likely he would not have gotten infected if he had been circumcised. Hopefully it won't happen again!
We thought about having our second circumcised, but then went against it only because they'd be "different"
MommaFinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, unless you are Jewish the custom doesn't really apply anyway correct? Also, in the NT it talks about it being the heart that needs to be circumcised.

I am a Christian and know that most Christians I know believe that "christians should circumcise their sons"

We did our first. We learned the hard way that we should have questioned things and researched things.

It was a HUGE shock to me to learn that the way circumcisions are done now is vastly different from the way they were done a thousand+ years ago.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaFinds View Post
Why are you deciding not to, out of curiosity? We were talked out of circumcision with our first, but then regretted it because he got a painful infection. Luckily he has not had one since, but likely he would not have gotten infected if he had been circumcised. Hopefully it won't happen again!
We thought about having our second circumcised, but then went against it only because they'd be "different"
Many parents believe the risks do not outweigh any potential benefits. An infection is not so big of a deal when you compare it to infection from the procedure, MRSA, risk of blood loss, death, amputation of the penis, and later, painful adhesions, meatal stenosis, too much skin removal, tight painful erections, skin bridges, keternization, reduced sensitivity, and possible regret from the owner of the penis (many men are angry the choice was taken from them). That's not even all the possible complications from routine infant circ. There's many more.

Infections are rare in boys, circ'ed or not. When a boy gets a foreskin infection it is most often caused by manipulation of the foreskin by a parent, caregiver, or doctor. The foreskin is fused in early childhood and when it is ripped back there can be micro-tears where bacteria enter. For years boys had infection after infection because of well-meaning parents insisting on cleaning underneath.

Also, many "infections" are actually misdiagnosed yeast infections (and prescribing antibiotics only makes it worse) or natural separation pain and soreness. When a boy naturally begins to retract, it can sometimes be painful and sometimes even make the foreskin swollen and red. Sometimes it happens multiple times before they retract fully. However it is a normal progression and usually resolves in a day or 2. A soak in a bath can help relieve the pain. But this normal occurrence is often mistaken for an infection.

With proper care (hands off!) infections are extremely rare and certainly not cause for concern enough to remove a healthy body part. Circumcision is a non-therapeutic, cosmetic surgery, not preventative healthcare.

Oh and circ'ed boys can get infections as well. Any doctor who told you it probably wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been circ'ed was lying. Especially with looser circs they are doing today, that often develop adhesions (71%), it provides an excellent breeding ground for bacteria that is not present in intact boys (because the foreskin works as a sphincter to keep bacteria out). Also the foreskin has immunological properties that are removed during circ.

Last edited by Shaunam; 03-07-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaFinds View Post
Hopefully it won't! YIKES!
Be real careful about letting anyone try to retract him. I have to watch for this with my youngest as doctors locally think they should retract infants. I worry some about this happening to him. First thing I say at check-ups is "We leave the foreskin alone"

Also, fwiw (and I don't mean to sound rude ) an infection can usually be helped pretty quickly. A foreskin can't regrow. My oldest DS's circumcision was botched. It has been a horrible,horrible thing to go through. The guilt over knowing it was our choice that has caused him so much pain is very hard to work through.

Our second DS was left intact. I figure someday they will notice the differences and we will sort through it all then. For right now they don't seem to care.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

We are Christian and both of our boys are circumcised probably because that is the norm for our family. Not that it is a great reason for or against it but its the truth. We didn't even really discuss it, DH is circ'd so I guess it was just assumed the boys would be.

I agree with the other poster that there is no longer biblical basis for circumcision. I think you should just do what is right for your family. I was actually pretty shocked to hear how many people aren't circing their boys these days (including one of my best friends). I told DH about it and he was like 'gross, why not'?? I said well, I guess people think God made it that way for a reason. He said 'good point'. I think the important thing is to do the research and make an educated decision- we didn't. I don't regret our decision but I do wish I would have researched it. Our boys had 2 different types of circs done and I didn't even know their were 'options'.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
crunch!910
Registered Users

My DS is circed. If there are any more biological boys, they will not be circed. Thanks all for the links! Now I know not only is it best in just a general sense, but biblically too!

Last edited by crunch!910; 03-07-2010 at 06:04 PM.
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote