Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Christianity and circumcision

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
DS is circed, but now that I know better I've mentioned any future sons will not be. A friend on my facebook page attacked me as not being a true Chrisitan and that I'm disobeying God.

Please help me out here! I know that in corinthians and galations it was talked badly about. I think Paul said that you don't ahve to be either.
my 1st 2 were circ'd (per <now X> husband's demands. The 2nd 2 were not per mine . I don't believe we are under that law of circs just as I don't believe I would go to hell for having a tattoo. And you aren't Jewish, so I don't believe it applies to you as well....

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

In Romans Charpter 2, Paul addresses whether a Christian must be circumcised. To some it up he says that the condition of the penis is unimportant, that it is the heart and actions of the individual that makes them a Christian. This is sometimes referred to as the circumcision of the heart.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The others have given you good info. We're Christians and we don't circumcise. The Bible absolutely does not command you to circumcise, in fact at one point Paul (if I remember correctly, I need to double check) warns against circumcisers saying they don't care about the will of God, but that they just take delight in your flesh.

Now, I don't think circumcision is something the Bible tells you not to do, but it's very obvious that circumcision is nothing in the eyes of God.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:

Excellent links. I am going to have to bookmark them
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
mamatje
Registered Users

European Christians don't seem to think it's necessary. Circumcision is still extremely rare over there and they're reading the same bible as you guys.
mamatje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
momtoesther
Registered Users
seller

I go to a church of several hundred people and I bet there is not a single circumsized male among us! I think that circumsicion was a sign of the old covenant (testament). The symbol of blood was used to represent the need for blood to be shed for the forgiveness of sins. Since Jesus shed His blood for us we no longer need the sign of blood. The old covenant has been fulfilled and we are living in the new covenant. I believe that baptism replaces circumsision. The sign of water replaces the sign of blood.
See Col. 2:11
Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

My boys are circumcised. I don't believe it is required of Christians today, but it was a faith decision for me. I am not Jewish, but I do believe in some of the Jewish laws, and it is for me a sign of dedication more than anything. Which is what it was for the Hebrews when it was instituted. The men and boys were circumcised as a sign of the covenant they made with God to be a people set apart.
My reasons for this are very different from my husband's reasons, but they are what they are. I realize it is not a popular choice in this forum, but it is the choice we made, for better or worse.
Please don't feel that this is commanded by God for all Christians today. It is not. The NT is pretty clear that Gentiles are welcomed into the family of God just as equally as Jews, and circumcision of the heart is what matters. Circumcision is a symbol.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my son circumsized because I thought thats just what you do...everyone I am close to is and my only exposure to people who weren't was when I worked as a CNA at a nursing home. After seeing a lot of negativity about it I though gosh...I did that and I don't even know why. I mean I knew it was what Christians did because of the covenant with Abraham but I really didn't know much about it. So I decided to research. Mostly I just read my bible, and I found that circumcision is no longer something that needs to be done. I guess part of me already knew this, I mean Jesus took care of it all on the cross so why do we have to add anything to that? HE is the covenant! Here is a verse that helped me:

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is of any avail, but faith working through love." Galatians 5:6

Meaning that Jesus is all we need. Jew or gentile, circumsized, uncircumsized, it doesn't matter. The only thing that can bring us to the Father is faith working through love. Circumcision has no spirtual bearing on anything.

There are many more verses about this, I forget where but I know I have read some areas where Paul was having a hard time getting people to understand. Everyone thought the new covenant was NOT being circumsized and Paul had to keep telling them no, it doesn't matter whether you are or not. All you need is to put your hope in Christ!

I shared this with some of my sisters in the Lord and they said that the reason it is done today is to symbolize cutting off the dead man that we were in Adam and stepping into the alive man we are in Christ. I understand that but is it necessary? No! Jesus is the only way. All He wants is our hearts, he doesn't need us cutting parts of our bodies off for him! The last blood sacrifice was His and there is no need to symbolize anything.

All that being said...I still don't know what I want to do with my next son. I really want to talk about it with my pastor and my parents because I haven't talked it over with them yet. My parents are in Africa right now though! DH and DS are circumsized and I wouldn't want my next son to feel different. I would like to see if any other Christians have any substantial reasons why they circumsize.
Thanks for letting me share!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoesther View Post
I believe that baptism replaces circumsision. The sign of water replaces the sign of blood.
See Col. 2:11
Are you saying that if I'm not baptized then I'm not a part of the new covenant?

The whole point of not having to circumsize anymore is that Jesus is the covenant and you don't have to add anything to what he did.

Not wanting to argue, just curious as to what you really mean here. I agree with what you said, just a little unsure about this part.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #20
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In the Old Testament, Jehovah established circumcision as a way to differentiate the covenant people from the Gentiles. It was done to children and adults that entered into the Mosiac covenant.

When Christ came he fulfilled the Mosiac covenant promise, and circumcision as a token of the covenant was done away with. Paul (in 1 Corinthians 7) counseled the church to do away with the tradition. The people were more focused on doing things because that is the way they had always been done, than to realize that Christ brought a new law.

We circumcised our child because my husband wanted him to look the same. Yes, it was for vanity. I felt pretty terrible about it at the time, but its really not that bad. I think it hurt me more than it hurt the baby.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote