Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
momtoesther
Registered Users
seller

Re: Christianity and circumcision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama View Post
Are you saying that if I'm not baptized then I'm not a part of the new covenant?

The whole point of not having to circumsize anymore is that Jesus is the covenant and you don't have to add anything to what he did.

Not wanting to argue, just curious as to what you really mean here. I agree with what you said, just a little unsure about this part.
Baptism is a sign and seal of the covenant. We baptize our children as infants because we see baptism as God's way of showing us that he promises to blessings to the children of believers. Being baptised does not automatically 'save' you nor if you are not baptized does this exclude you from the covenant.
But, just curious, if you believe that Christ died for your sins, why woulsn't you want to be baptized? I just think of the Ethiopian eunuch, who, once he heard the good news, stopped his chariot right away and was baptized at the side of the road.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #22
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To OP - your "friend" who is a "Christian" should maybe take the plank out of their own eye. I don't mean that in a harsh way, I just mean that attacking someone like this isn't a Christian thing to do. There are MANY ways to interpret the New Testament (just see how many Christian denominations there are, each w/ their own interpretation) and as long as the heart is pure, what does it matter if the penis is circed or not? I mean, wasn't that one of Jesus' key lessons that he taught repeatedly?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
momtoesther
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanie View Post
To OP - your "friend" who is a "Christian" should maybe take the plank out of their own eye. I don't mean that in a harsh way, I just mean that attacking someone like this isn't a Christian thing to do. There are MANY ways to interpret the New Testament (just see how many Christian denominations there are, each w/ their own interpretation) and as long as the heart is pure, what does it matter if the penis is circed or not? I mean, wasn't that one of Jesus' key lessons that he taught repeatedly?
Amen! The pharisees were called hypocrytes for washing the outside of the cup while the inside was unclean. God looks at the heart while man looks at outward apprearances.

I can't imagine being pressured to circ a son, it must be difficult to make a decision that is unpoplular in the general culture. Good luck mama.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #24
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoesther View Post
Baptism is a sign and seal of the covenant. We baptize our children as infants because we see baptism as God's way of showing us that he promises to blessings to the children of believers. Being baptised does not automatically 'save' you nor if you are not baptized does this exclude you from the covenant.
But, just curious, if you believe that Christ died for your sins, why woulsn't you want to be baptized? I just think of the Ethiopian eunuch, who, once he heard the good news, stopped his chariot right away and was baptized at the side of the road.
Thread hijack, sorry!

Here are my thoughts on the matter. And if I come across as arguing I'm sorry that is the last thing I want to do!

Baptism represents the death and resurrection, not only Christ's death and resurrection but that which happens within ourselves, death to old man in Adam and life to new man in Christ. It is an outward act of an inward work already carried out. It is a good thing to proclaim and declare what has happened! Usually it is the first outward Christian act after being saved.

I accepted Christ at 3 years old and never really had an opportunity to be baptized but I have been baptized in my heart and have been an active christian since 3 years old so I have never felt like I needed to be baptized. I always just think about the theif on the cross and he was accepted right away, no circumcision, no baptism.

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewal of the Holy Spirit.

God knows my heart. The main point of baptism is a proclamation to the world of what God has done inside you. God is not going to be offended if you don't get baptized. I think it is a great thing but I feel that I have lived my life proclaiming His work in me and for me baptism is not necessary nor will it change anything.

Just sharing my views on the matter, please no flames. I know baptism is a good thing according to the word and I don't want to take away from that. I just don't want to be made to feel like I am not "complete" without it. Not that you are doing that, just saying!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!

Last edited by Solomon's Mama; 03-07-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #25
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This site links to passages from several holy books, for Christians, Catholics, LDS and Jews.

http://www.cirp.org/library/cultural/

Last edited by Fairycat; 03-08-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #26
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Titus 1:10-16 Titus' Task on Crete
For there are many rebellious people, mere talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision group. They must be silenced, because they are ruining whole households by teaching thing they ought not to teach - and that for the sake of dishonest gain. Even one of their own prophets has said, "Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons." This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be strong in the faith and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the commands of those who reject the truth. To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good

An excellent passage.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the circumcision question had been answered--we are religious and will not be circumcising.

As far as the baptism, *I am not sure how it is in other religions and it seems like some are already different from what I have always learned,* but in mine the need for baptism is clear, and practiced quite like in Acts 2 (after Christ, Peter talking)
7 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #28
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
I think the circumcision question had been answered--we are religious and will not be circumcising.

As far as the baptism, *I am not sure how it is in other religions and it seems like some are already different from what I have always learned,* but in mine the need for baptism is clear, and practiced quite like in Acts 2 (after Christ, Peter talking)
7 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
DH and I read that last night. Even though it is not mandatory the bible still talking about baptism like this often and Jesus was even baptized. I guess my thing is, is it really necessary for someone who has been a Christian their whole life to go and get baptized? I have thought about it a lot and I guess I would just feel funny doing it since its kind of a newbie thing lol. Its just something I have never understood and I have had people be like oh my gosh you aren't baptized? And act like I'm incomplete and I hate that because I know its not necessary. But I see that it is still important and I'm still trying to figure out why it would be important for me to do.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #29
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama View Post
DH and I read that last night. Even though it is not mandatory the bible still talking about baptism like this often and Jesus was even baptized. I guess my thing is, is it really necessary for someone who has been a Christian their whole life to go and get baptized? I have thought about it a lot and I guess I would just feel funny doing it since its kind of a newbie thing lol. Its just something I have never understood and I have had people be like oh my gosh you aren't baptized? And act like I'm incomplete and I hate that because I know its not necessary. But I see that it is still important and I'm still trying to figure out why it would be important for me to do.
(These are my beliefs, again, I know others feel differently.) As for reasons as an adult, I can think of a couple--1) Because it was commanded. Even Jesus did it just because it was commanded, he certainly didn't need it logically, and it was still in force as a commandment after his death. We don't really pick & choose our commandments. 2) As it says, when baptized under proper authority it is to receive remission of your sins and then the Holy Ghost--sounds like a fabulous reason to me!! I'd pray about it and ask God to help you figure out what you should do about it now (although you probably already are!)
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #30
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
(These are my beliefs, again, I know others feel differently.) As for reasons as an adult, I can think of a couple--1) Because it was commanded. Even Jesus did it just because it was commanded, he certainly didn't need it logically, and it was still in force as a commandment after his death. We don't really pick & choose our commandments. 2) As it says, when baptized under proper authority it is to receive remission of your sins and then the Holy Ghost--sounds like a fabulous reason to me!! I'd pray about it and ask God to help you figure out what you should do about it now (although you probably already are!)
Thanks, I have been thinking and praying about it a lot. I really want to talk to my parents about it and see why they never had me do it...they are in Africa right now though so communication is a little limited! Thanks for the insight.