Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy My dd fell off the changing table!!

I swore I would never let anything like this happen. My older dd's table is a different set up so we never had an issue with her rolling bc where I stand is at her feet. With the baby's, it is a dresser with a pad on top. yesterday I was changing her and stepped a foot away to put a dipe in the pail and over she went. There must have been angels protecting her. I called the dr. (of course it was after hours), right away, bc she spit up quite a bit about 10 minutes after it happened, but he said to go to the er if she started acting funny or continued to vomit. The vomitting was an isolated instance, and she was back to her happy self after that and slept fine last night, etc. I am a wreck though! I will never forget that sickening thud. I feel like such a terrible mother! I feel like I had to post this. Even if you think it won't happen to you, it can! Especially if your baby just discovered how to roll! Don't let it happen to you!

Advertisement

yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: My dd fell off the changing table!!

Ethan rolled off the bed when he was a baby. It tore me up but he was fine. I was in the room putting clothes away and was less than 2 feet away when it happened. Don't tear yourself up about it

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh mama!! She's okay and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it. I almost dropped dd head first when she was only 3 weeks old. She was on my lap and I had no idea how quick they can move, I went to lay a blankie down beside me on the sofa and I felt her roll off my legs, I caught her by the legs seriously a millasecond before she would have hit head first on our tile floor!! She was fine, but we both cried for about 15 minutes and I still have nightmares about it.
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
tommyzmommy
Registered Users
seller

When DS1 was 6 weeks old, I was in the kitchen for something and set him in his car seat carrier but he fell asleep and I tried to move him into the living room but didn't snap the handle into position first and when I lifted it up he flew out- face down right onto the kitchen linoleum! I felt horrible and called DH, then the ped. in tears. I can still see him in slow motion and hear the thud, its normal to feel like a bad mama- but we aren't. These accidents just happen and I'm happy to report that DS1 was fine, and is a very bright and happy 5 yo guy. My very sweet ped told me that she and her DH (also a ped) put their first child on a countertop in a bouncy seat and... you know what happened- so if it can hapen to them, it can happen to anyone. Once while I was packing for a trip DS1 pulled DS2 off the bed onto his head when he was 3 months old- I was so shaken we couldn't leave for the trip that day. I think it might help to read others' stories.
tommyzmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

She'll get over it before you do. You are a good mama.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
tomatojane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd rolled off the bed in the middle of the night. My heart stopped and I was crying hysterically. I was literally rocking back and forth and yelling at dh to get dressed so we could go to the er. He was totally calm thank goodness. He really calmed me down and we did not go to the er after all. DD was fine and I was amazed. I never knew I could be that scared!
tomatojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My daughter's taken a couple of falls. Once, when she was about 3 months old, she was tummy down on her boppy pillow on the ottoman. I stepped over to the other side of the toom, and she "walked" herself over the boppy and off the ottoman! She's never pushed herself over the ottoman before. She hardly cried tho.

Then, about a month ago, she fell head first off the bottom of the bed. It was nasty. She was doing that screaming crying thing where they can hardly breath. She had a good goose egg but was back to herself in a few minutes.

It happens to the best of us. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who has NOT had theri baby fall from something. She'll be OK.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
courtfrog2
Registered Users
seller

oh mama! Don't beat yourself up over it. My DD fell head first out of a grocery cart when she had just turned one. I still can see her little body falling. Also, I hate to admit it, but when I was a teenager I babysat for a baby and he fell off the changing table. I felt aweful. He was fine and luckily the parents weren't mad at me. I was crushed though.
Luckily he is fine!!! It happens to the best of us!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
ellemenopee
Registered Users
seller

Hate to say it but it probably happens at least once to every mommy with every child. My dd rolled of the couch first, landing on her feet and then her bum (6 mos?). Then off the bed later once she was rolling (took her a loooong time to roll). Don't feel like a bad mamma. You will probably be extravigilant now for a while and the next time it happens your DC will be bigger and not so fragile.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

aj fell off the couch a few times as a baby. then when dustin was just new (like his 2nd day of life lol) i had him in the carseat carrier thing on our reclining chair...thinking he'd be safest from the clutches of his 16 month old big brother...well i didn't buckle him in. i was in the kitch doing dishes then heard this horrid thud and screaming. peeked around the corner, saw aj in the recliner, and no dustin. aj tried to pick him up out of the carrier and dustin kinda went right over. he landed face first...in a doggie bed, so was fine lol. nice padded landing hehehe. there was another incident of aj trying to lift him and he ended up landing on the floor. brighton has rolled off our couch twice.

really....i think every kid falls off a piece of furniture sooner or later.

but, i will be more careful about stepping away to put a diaper in the pail from now on. our dc's are about the same age and brighton has been rolling and is now sitting up...so chances are i can't keep him from rolling off forever. dh gets so mad about me stepping away from it too....guess a mama should listen huh?

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote