Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Elsaraw
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP! What Can I Give My Toddler for a Bad Cough!!!

Boiron's Chestal, homeopathic cough syrup for kids. It helps.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
chrissyb
Registered Users
seller
seller

cough medications are not reccomended at all for any kids under 6. They can have a sedative effect and have been linked to very serious issues, and death in small kids. Also, the vicks thing, just don't use the adult vicks, it can irritate small lungs and worsen breathing problems.

Warm showers are always good. Keep his head elevated at night if you can (a couple pillows). If he is coughing mostly at night, or worse at night, you might want to see your pedi about asthma. We have also used plain honey with good effect for tickly kind of coughs. Mostly, you just have to wait it out. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyb View Post
cough medications are not reccomended at all for any kids under 6. They can have a sedative effect and have been linked to very serious issues, and death in small kids. Also, the vicks thing, just don't use the adult vicks, it can irritate small lungs and worsen breathing problems.

The issue is over-dosing kids, or using medicines like Benadryl to make children sleepy rather than using it for it's intended purpose. And overdoses happen most often with combo meds like Triaminic Cold & Cough etc. which will have different amounts of meds per issue (snot, cough, fever) that smaller kids can't handle. Nearly all doctors will still approve cough meds when they are needed in a child having a really hard time. I think it's great to avoid them when you can, but they really are not dangerous at all so long as you follow proper dosing instructions.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
fergiesgirl86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1 found out that vicks on a sposie bib (or i guess a cheap one you don't care ruining) under the shirt works well too! i kept the sposie bibs given to me just for this reason.

i'd just let my DD drink warm honey lemon "tea" aka warm water with honey and lemon. she won't take the honey by the spoonful i tried (she's also 2.5)
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The studies that were done with the honey are for Buckwheat honey. It is almost like a molasses. My sister is a pediatrician and last month I looked everywhere for this honey. I finally found it at Whole Foods.

I brought it home and made my sister try some - she said, "It tastes like cough syrup!" So when I gave it to my 3 year old I mixed a little regular honey in there as well.

I also use a humidifier - they recommend cool mist mainly because warm/hot mist could burn kids - but either is okay. Just remember to clean it so it doesn't build up the moldies.

I know it isn't great for teeth - but I also put warm apple juice (way watered down) with honey in bed with him.

Baby Vicks to help him breathe on his chest.

My toddler is gets colds like crazy. We are getting his adenoids out in two weeks. Hopefully that will help him and his mommy won't need to be a cough and cold expert anymore!!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
The issue is over-dosing kids, or using medicines like Benadryl to make children sleepy rather than using it for it's intended purpose. And overdoses happen most often with combo meds like Triaminic Cold & Cough etc. which will have different amounts of meds per issue (snot, cough, fever) that smaller kids can't handle. Nearly all doctors will still approve cough meds when they are needed in a child having a really hard time. I think it's great to avoid them when you can, but they really are not dangerous at all so long as you follow proper dosing instructions.
I agree with you. I've never heard of the sedative effect causing trouble - if anything, I've heard that the drugs that cause sedation in adults will actually cause hyperactivity in many children (and I have two pieces of evidence for that hypothesis- DS1 and DS2!)

We've been "allowed" to give our children Pediasure when they were that age. About 5ml. It's not much, but it's always been highly effective. And make sure you wait the full dosing time before giving another dose- I can't recall how long that is off the top of my head.

The other thing we've used, just for coughs, is Hyland's Cough Syrup with Honey. It's safe for any age (except for the under-1-no-honey thing, but they make a version without honey, too.) It seems to do well on drier, asthmatic sounding coughs. It's probably the honey coating the throat that helps the most.

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote