Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
My Mood:
do you preschool your kids??

my dd is three and I keep getting comments about how she should be going to preschool this fall. (she's not potty trained so she won't be going anytime soon) But personally I really don't want to send her to pre-school at all. I really don't know how it would benefit her, I mean if I'm teaching her at home as far as her abc's and numbers and that then does she really need preschool? We do attend a moms and tots group at our church regularily and she also does kids church for her age, so she's very socialized and has always been a social kid. So I"m not worried about that. Basically my mother was a kindergaurden teacher for 10 years and thinks all children should go to preschool. I'm just not comfortable with it and really don't want her to go. I don't like the preschool system here. (you pay $400 for the year, plus have to volunteer at least once a month. Its only once a week too, so I don't see how that would benefit? so thoughts??

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: do you preschool your kids??

I won't be. DS will be three in October and we'll be starting homeschooling, hopefully in a small group but I'll be one of the parents. I want to hs anyway but preschool isn't on my radar. I think he'll benefit more from being with me.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
My Mood:

we won't be. DD is only 18 months, and DH really wants me to homeschool her. I think about a lot, but will have to pray about it more when the time comes.
Kerstyn's world Mommy's facebook
blissfullyblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Everyone around here seems to start their kids in school at the age of 2, yeah 2! To me, my kids are still babies at 2. I have decided to start DS when he's 4 to prepare him for kindergarten because he will be in full-day kindergarten. He's excited to go next year but he definitely would not have been ready to go this year to a 3 yr old class. I think it depends on the child just as much as the parent. Both he and I will be ready next fall, I think.

I also feel like I couldn't justify paying someone else to teach my kid the same things I'm teaching him while I'm home. We do playgroups and stuff so he gets the socialization. Next year it will also be about teaching him to be away from me since he never has been.
CDing SAHM to my Prince (5/21/2003) and Princess (8/26/2005)
DEmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
My Mood:

If you are teaching her at home and she is learning, she is fine. I would never send my off especially that little. We homeschool and they are all doing great!! Preschool through 6th grade! lol
~Lauri~ Mama of 8 blessings~ wife to Grady~

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I wouldn't. We're planning on unschooling/homeschooling anyway - but just for the sake of the arguement, I wouldn't send him to pre-school if he were going to go to public/private school. It might be different elsewhere, but where I grew up, one didn't generally send their kids to pre-school unless both parents worked and weren't able to teach them what they're going to need to know before Kindergarten. Personally though, I don't think children need structured schooling at all until 7-8. Its becoming "trendy" or something lately to send babies as young as 2 to school and that's just strange to me.

Anyway, FWIW, my mom had 5 kids and didn't send any of us to pre-school and we all did really well in Kindergarten (well, one of my sisters didn't do very well, but she had a crappy teacher who tried to hold more than half her class back - but she didn't really well in 1st grade anyway).

Last edited by urchin_grey; 02-02-2007 at 07:35 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right

if you dont feel comfy, then no, dont do it
im still debating on that for david next year though .
SAHM to David (5) ; wife to my sweetie. Praise the Lord
sorry Im not around as I use to be
Old DS Feedback DP Feedback action NOW!!
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote