Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What dye to I use to dye pf's?

I think I have heard bad things about RIT for dipes. So what else is there that I can get locally....I want to do it the weekend. I have very small stash now and its all pf's. Our washer went on the fritz, so I went to MIL's and did my washing. They have well water, but never any problems with that oragey stuff and all there whites are white. Well, wouldn't you know that the one darn time that I decide to wash my dipes, the well backs up and my diapers are now orange...eeewwww. Its not a good orange either. I thought about bleaching them at home now that our washer is fixed. I have never bleached before, and I figured one time isn't going to make them fall apart. BUT, then I though I might just go ahead and dye them.

So, tell me what dye to get and how to do it. Please and thank you!

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
chrisandjames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What dye to I use to dye pf's?

I have used Dylon dye from Walmart in the craft section, just followed the directions and I had teal colored dipes in 1 hour

I am not sure though how the dye will do in covering up the stain that you have now with the orange...I might try the bleach route first.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandjames View Post
I have used Dylon dye from Walmart in the craft section, just followed the directions and I had teal colored dipes in 1 hour

I am not sure though how the dye will do in covering up the stain that you have now with the orange...I might try the bleach route first.
I thought I would try an orange dye....maybe a brighter orange will cover the icky dirty looking orange color they are now. I just hate bleach, the smell makes me so ill. So I was thinking, either a red or orange would help to cover it up, or at least make it look like they are supposed to be that color or something. So dylon...I will try it. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Missah78
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Rit has a color remover if you want to try that vs. bleach first...

Orange would be fun!!
Missah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
mamax3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I also used Dylon dyes, they work great! I used Burnt Orange and got nice pumpkin colored PFs, that color works great. I also tried the Dark Pink which was very bright pink when used... and the Poppy Red turned out a coral shade. If you want red, buy two packs. Dye them once, and then dye them again... at least that's what ppl on here told me; that reds need to be pre-dyed a redish tone first in order to get the full effect. I want to see pics when you're done!
6 on the road
mamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamax3 View Post
I also used Dylon dyes, they work great! I used Burnt Orange and got nice pumpkin colored PFs, that color works great. I also tried the Dark Pink which was very bright pink when used... and the Poppy Red turned out a coral shade. If you want red, buy two packs. Dye them once, and then dye them again... at least that's what ppl on here told me; that reds need to be pre-dyed a redish tone first in order to get the full effect. I want to see pics when you're done!
OOOOHHHH...the pumkin color sounds nice! That would probably be perfect!
Is the dye expensive? I don't have a ton to do, so I am sure one box would do the trick. But, I am on a tight....very very very tight, budget.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

There is a product called "iron out" that I have had good luck with getting out iron stains in whites. Haven't used on dipes though. If you try it, you might want to experiment on just one dipe first.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #8
chrisandjames
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck! Can't wait to see how they turn out

Oh, and the dye is less than $2. In Walmart, it's in the craft section near the tye dye kits. Have fun
Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dylon is anywhere from $2-3 a pack. I have a bunch of shades of Dylon dyed prefolds and they're very pretty even after a year.

As far as the red you only need to dye them once. Just dilute the water a little and let them set overnight and they'll be a very bright red color just like the package sample. I've never used two packets of red and mine are always very very red after sitting overnight. I use half the amount of water the instructions call for. It does take more washes to get the red dye out (as far as extra dye so it doesn't get on your other dipes) but it's so pretty. If you like red you'll love the poppy red from Dylon!

Here are the preemie prefolds I just did a few weeks ago with Dylon - blue, purple, turquoise, red, yellow all with one packet of dye:

Here's the poppy red after sitting overnight:

Old 02-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
mamax3
Registered
seller

My Mood:

imommy those are gorgeous!! I did what the pack said and only left them for an hour, I should have left them overnight. Good idea. Did you mean for them to turn out tye-dye looking? I like it! Mine were solid though, boring I guess. To the OP Dylon dyes are about 2$ a pack and I used 1 pack per 4 diapers.
6 on the road
mamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote