Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #141
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

ooo I wish I could just hit a button and print out this whole thread!! I love thrifty meal ideas!

Advertisement

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #142
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell015 View Post
OK I have to come back and read and write down all of these but I thought of my cajun pork chops and had to add but it's 3am and dh is wanting me to go night night... Urghhh this DS addiction is getting bad!!!

Cajun Pork Chops
Family size Package of PorkChops
Cajun Seasoning (.50 at walmart or the dollar store)
Aluminum Foil

Preheat oven to 375

Take the pork chops put 1 on a piece of foil... sprinkle cajun seasoning on it.. turn it over and repeat... fold the foil over the chop to make sealed packet. Repeat with all the chops. Put on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. When you get these out they just fall apart they are so moist. No sauce needed. Be careful opening the packet because the "sauce" will just run out.
If you want you can make mashed potatoes and use the sauce for gravy. The chops really don't need it. Open a can of veggies and you got yourself a meal.
May be a little over $5 depending on your family size... BUT still really cheap and really good.
Great Meal!

i made this last night, BIG hit!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #143
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamybethx View Post
Let's see what I can think of that we make that's cheap.

1lb hamburger
1 onion, chopped
1 can baked beans

brown groundmeat, onions and add beans.

1lb ground meat
1 can corn
1 box mac n cheese

brown ground meat, prepare mac n cheese, add corn

Red beans and rice

1lb bag of red beans
1 pkg sausage

Cook red beans in crock pot high for about 6 hrs, add sausage aorund the 4th hr.

Swedish meatballs

1lb groundmeat
egg noodles
swedish meatball mix
follow pkg directions

Beef stroganoff

1lbs ground meat
1 can cream of mushroom
1/2 c sour cream

Brown ground meat add cream of mushroom (with 1 can water or milk) add sour cream, mix well. Serve over noodles or rice.

Sun dried tomato chicken alfredo

2 jars sun dried tomato alfredo (I like 5 brothers)
1/2 c bread crumbs
butter (not sure how much, just to make the bread crumbs a little moist)
4 chicken breasts-cubed or shredded
spaghetti noodles

saute chicken in a skillet, preheat oven to 350. Boil noodles. Add sauce, bread crumbs and chicken. Mix and add to noodles. Place in casserole dish and bake for 30mins (or until chicken is cooked). Serve!

Smothered chicken

Chicken
Bell pepper if you have it
Onion
Rice

Take chicken and dice. Saute vegetables (in a little oil) till translucent. Season chicken to your liking (should be kinda spicy...through a TINY bit of cayenne pepper if you have it) and add a little veg oil to a cast iron (or anything that isn't non-stick...you want it to stick)skillet. Heat on about med-med-high. What you want to do is make the seasoning from the chicken stick to the bottom of the skillet making a "gromese" (gra-mee-suh). After chicken is done and you see lots of "sticky" stuff (the "burnt" seasoning) you add about 1/4-1/2 c of water and simmer on low. That makes a gravy. Put your rice on and serve the smothered chicken over rice! It's good and cheap!

Pork chops in mushroom gravy

http://pork.allrecipes.com/AZ/Skille...MushroomGr.asp

Manicotti

12 LG manicotti shells
4cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
2 cups ricotta (or one container)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (26oz) (I buy the kind with the meat in it for this...I think it's by Ragu)
1/2 c grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Preheated oven to 350. Spray a 13X9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Cook pasta according to directions on pkg. Rinse, drain (be careful they tend to split open but you can still use them. Place them seam down in pan once you stuff them). Lay them out on paper towels to dry.

Mix 3 cups mozzerella with the ricotta. Use a teaspoon (or I make small balls) and stuff the shells.

Pour 2 cups (or 1/2 the jar) of sauce into bottom of pan. Lay stuffed shells on top. Cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining mozzerella over top.

Bake 15 mins. Add parmesan and bake additional 10 mins. Serve immediately.

Spaghetti

2 jars Ragu (any kind)
1 bag premade meatballs (I like the kind...starts with an R. They taste the best IMO. Walmart doesn't have them anymore though).
Any kind of noodles.

Through sauce and meatballs in a crockpot on high until dinner time (at least 6 hrs). Boil noodles...there you go. Easy

Bread Loaf

1 loaf of french bread
1lb ground meat
1 can cream of mushroom soup
green onions
2-3 stalks of celery
tsp butter
1 can cheese soup
2 cups cheese (I used coldy/monterey jack mix)

Preheat oven to 350. Cut the top off the loaf of bread and scoop the inside of the bread out to make a bowl. Brown groundmeat in pot. Saute celery in butter till soft. Once groundmeat is browned add both soups, green onions, celery and 1 cup cheese. Pour mix into loaf of bread, top with remainder of cheese and wrap tightly in foil. Bake for 20mins. Enjoy!

Ham & Scalloped potatoes

3 tbsp butter or margerine
1 sm onion, finely chopped (1/4 c)
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 1/2 c milk
6 med. potatoes (w or w/o skin) sliced thinly (6 c)
1 1/2 c cubed ham (fully cooked)
1 tbsp butter/margerine

Heat oven to 350, Spray 2qt casserole dish w/cooking spray.

In 2qt saucepan heat butter over med-high heat. Add onions and heat about 2 min until onions are tender. Add flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 min.

Add ham and potatoes to casserole dish. Press down to make sure they are evenly spread. Pour sauce over and add tsp butter cut into small pieces over top.

Cover and bake for 30mins. Uncover and bake 1-1 1/2hr longer until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5-10mins before serving (I added shredded cheddar the last 10 minutes).

French bread "pizza"

1 pkg ham lunch meat
1 bag pepperoni
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
1c mayo
Shredded mozarella cheese

Cut bread (if it's long) into 3 sections and then cut tose in half (so the white is exposed). Cut up lunchmeat and pepperoni (or whatever meat you want. Ham and bacon bits, turkey and whatever lol). Mix ranch dressing and 1 c mayo. Spread mayo on each piece of bread (just a thin layer, not TOO thick but not sparingly. You judge). Then add meat and top with cheese. Broil on low until cheese is golden brown or bubbly. Enjoy

I think that's it. I'm pretty sure these would be $5 meals, I'm not exactly sure. Depends on what brands you buy etc, I usually by the store brand.
made this Monday night and yummmmmmmmmm
Old 05-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #144
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok I'm busy cutting and pasting these recipes! Thought I might add one of my own... this is awesome awesome stuff!! and so simple.

1-2lbs of beef (I go with the top cuts that are cheap, or stew meat), cut in bitesize peices
1 can of cream of chicken soup (or more depending if you have more meat)
1 packet of onion soup mix

Crockpot on high for 3 or 4 hours...or low for longer. Over rice or noodles! YUMO!!

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #145
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

My husband used to ask me to cook this chili EVERY SINGLE WEEK! I finally had to tell him NO It's a variation on white chicken chili. Cook a double batch and eat it for days!

Spicy Black Chicken Chili

2 tbsp oil
1 tsp diced garlic
1lb cooked chicken breast, cut into small pieces or shredded
1 can chicken broth
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can original Rotel
1 tsp turmeric
1 dash red cayenne pepper
1 dash chili powder
1 DROPLET of Thai chili paste
cumin to taste

In medium saucepan, cook garlic in oil until sizzling, then add chicken pieces, turmeric, cayenne pepper, chili powder and chili paste. Cook until chicken is almost done, then add 1/4 can of the chicekn broth and bring chicken and spice mixture to a boil. Once boiling, add remainder of broth, both cans of black beans, can of Rotel and some cumin. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, adding cumin to taste toward end of cooking time.

Serve with sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese, tortilla chips, and a fresh green salad. Mmmmmm!

R

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. – His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #146
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Also, my mom used to make eggs and noodles - just what it sounds like. Warmed-up, leftover noodles (we usually had macaroni or shells) mixed in and cooked with scrambled eggs. You can throw in other stuff, too, like cheese, meat, veggies, to make it more of a meal. With toast, it's cheap and filling!

R

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. – His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #147
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not healthy, but sooooo good and cheap!

Pasta
4-6 slices bacon
1 med onion chopped
1 can italian seasoned diced tomatoes

Fry up bacon, remove bacon, drain and crumble.
Drain all the grease except 1-2 T.
Cook onion in the grease. Add tomatoes. Add back crumbled bacon. Serve over noodles.

This is my dh's favorite pasta and I love it too!

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #148
¤Steelers_Mama¤
Registered Users

My Mood:

not sure of the costs on these, but they are pretty cheap

CHILI
pound of ground beef
2-3 cans of tomato sauce (depending on the size of the can)
chili powder
rice
cheddar cheese

brown beef, add sauce and chili powder. heat til hot. serve over cooked rice. top with cheddar cheese

CHICKEN

2-3 chicken breasts (i buy em on sale)
italian dressing

cover chicken with dressing, cook in the oven

i usually serve this with rice or a baked potato

SLOPPY JOE

i don't ever measure this out.. so i make it to taste. it's supposed to be sweet. not too much of any flavor coming out...

pound of ground beef, cooked. mix in brown sugar, ketchup and mustard.

mama to Jack (3) and Mak (14mo)
¤Steelers_Mama¤ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #149
newtocding
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nak, so I'll just post one--We LOVE this!!

1 pkg wheat pita's (1.00)
1-2lbs chicken breasts (2.00) (I sometimes use canned), cooked--cubed or shredded
1 green pepper (.50)
1 onion (I usually omit this for ds )
1/2 pkg pepperoni (.50)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (my fav is Kroger brand tomato and basil--beats all the expensive ones in my taste bud's opinion!!--$1.00)

Saute green pepper and onion. Add chicken (cubed or pre-shredded). Add spaghetti sauce and pepperoni. Heat thru. Stuff into pita halves. Top with shredded mozzarella or parmesan. Good for next day lunch, too!

will add more later!!

Last edited by newtocding; 05-28-2007 at 10:44 AM.
newtocding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #150
newtocding
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do Italian Chicken a lot. It is simple, but I love it.

Put 3-4 chicken breasts in a 13x9 pan, cube potatoes (I always do as many as I can fit in the pan), cover in Italian dressing (about half bottle--maybe more). bake at 350 til chicken is done. E-A-S-Y- and the potatoes need no butter or anything (IMO)--dh puts butter on everything!!