Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #381
dzine21
Registered Users
seller

Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Ham & Beans

I use a ham steak or left over ham from holidays
One large jar Northern Beans -or dry beans, but we like the jar flavor
A smidge of Ketchup or hot sauce

Throw in pot and heat until warm. Taste great with cornbread too.

Chicken & Noodles

Whole chicken frozen & rinsed
No Yolk noodles or Kluski Noodles
Bullion cubes or chicken stock

Place chicken in Crockpot in the morning with stock/bullion cubes and some water. About hr before diner, pick chicken apart. It'll be hot and you'll place it on a plate to cool for a little bit. Toss bones and guts. Place shredded chicken back in crockpot and add kluski noodles until done. If using No Yolk noodles, they need to be cooked sepperatly. Mashed Potatoes goes well with this. Salt it to taste.

Advertisement

dzine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #382
jcbivens
Registered Users

We have a couple of favorites that have stood us in good stead. Both are a little long but not nearly as complex as they sound!

Chicken:
Buy a whole chicken and roast it in the oven and then serve with mashed potatoes, corn, peas, or whatever for 1-2 nights. Next day remove any leftover meat from the bones and stick the carcass in a stock pot full of water. Add a few carrots (the limp ones from the bottom of the drawer...cast offs at the grocery store...) onions, salt, pepper, sage, parsley, garlic, celery whatever you have on hand and cook for about 6 hours. Strain the carcass and vegs. out, saving the liquid. You can either use the broth to make more meals, or freeze in pint or quart jars. If you use glass jars, make sure you leave about 1-1.5" of head space!!!! Use the frozen broth or fresh broth to make chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup. Or anything else chicken-y! I use chicken meat sparingly with my broth as it is full of nutrients in it's own right. For the soup, for instance, I'll grab a quart of broth and heat it up, add a can of chicken or a cooked chicken breast, fresh/frozen peas, carrots, corn, onions, celery and some egg noodles. Cheap, fast and nutritious.

Another meal that we like is burritos. One day at the store my husband was looking longingly at the frozen burritos, but the cost was prohibitive as well as the contents. I told him I would try making some for him and he nodded and smiled like a good husband should So I gave it a shot and he LOVED them! For the first time through, make this one when you have your hubby home to help with the kids or maybe with a girlfriend. This could be for a couple of meals or do what I do and make enough to pop in the freezer.

1 bag brown jasmine rice (or enough rice to do however many burritos you want. For my latest batch I used 3c dry rice:6c water and had enough for 30 small burritos)
1 bag of black beans (play with the amount according to how many you want to make. You can also use pinto beans if you prefer, but these are harder to digest!!!!)
1# ground turkey or beef
Onion
Garlic
1T oil
1pkg taco seasoning
Grated cheese
Flour Tortillas

Day before:
Cook rice. I usually make a bit of extra and plan of having a rice meal the night before. Rice turns out like "real" Mexican rice if cooked the night before.
Soak beans in a pot of water. Then cook for 2-3 hours or until tender.

Day of:
Brown ground meat in a pan. Keep some of the fat in the pan to refry the beans. Add 1/2 pkg of taco seasoning. Use a slotted spoon and spoon cooked beans onto a cookie sheet or pie plate or whatever. Use a potato masher and mash them into the texture of coarse refried beans. Turn your ground beef up to medium high and add beans. Cook until they look like you'd want to eat them.
Either transfer the meat/beans to another pan or bowl or use another skillet.
Heat 1T oil on medium and saute onions and garlic. Add cooked rice and cook on medium-medium high heat, stirring frequently, until warmed and fluffy, then add the rest of the pkg of taco seasoning.
Grate cheese.
Assemble burritos. For small tortillas, it takes <1/4 of each beans and rice and just a pinch of cheese. Fold it up and either wrap it in a piece of foil and put in a large zip-lock or place it on a cookie sheet to freeze (later transferring to a freezer container), or place on a plate and eat it!
When re-warming, you can microwave for about 1.5-2 minutes or re-heat in the oven.
Delicious with salsa, sour cream, cilantro or just as is!
jcbivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #383
selisejohnson
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids gobble this one up: alittle more that 5 bucks

Pizza Pasta:

1 lb of ground turkey/ or beef.2.50
2 jars of any kinda pizza sauce (i get the cheapest I can find usually 1.50)
1 box of Rotini pasta .75
1 bag mozz chease. 1.50
1 pack of pepporoni 1.50

Brown ground meat and drain. Mix meat with pizza sauce. (may add onions or bell pepper if like) Cook pasta and drain. In a glass casseroll dish I spread a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the dish. Then I pour in my pasta, then my sauce mix. Layer on the pepporoni and cheese.

Bake at abt 375 degrees for 15-25 min depending on how you want your cheese.

serve with garlic bread.
selisejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #384
BAF
Registered Users

My Mood:

love these ideas!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #385
amzasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopka7224 View Post
OK I wanted to start this thread to get some new cheap meal ideas. I see that there are several mamas on this board trying to cut costs in the grocery dept. So if you have a family fav that is inexpensive please share! It can be a twist on plain on hamburger helper! Doesn't matter, just share a cheap dinner your family loves!

I'll start....

Chicken and yellow rice

Boil 2 chicken quarters (maybe $2 tops) in about 6-8 cups of water. Until meat is cooked through, about 30-45 minutes. Remove meat from bone in small pieces. Add 1 family size package of yellow/saffron rice($2) into the same water that you cooked the chicken in. Simmer till rice is tender. I usually serve with Sweet corn muffins (.25 a box plus 1 egg and milk) And a can of baby peas. Feeds 4 or more!! MY DH will eat 2 or 3 bowls! It is his fav dinner.
I make the same thing and it's a hit at our house too!

Swagging for Amazon gift cards for DD toddler bed!
amzasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #386
lilired
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is something my mom always made -- it's a simple pasta fagiole recipe and it's something my kids (5, 3 and 18months) will always eat!

In a pot put one can of diced tomatoes, one can of garbanzo beans, 2 cans of water, and 3 cloves of chopped garlic (we like a lot of garlic!). Let simmer for about 20 minutes. Toss with cooked spaghetti, salt, pepper and some parm cheese. Quick and easy!

If you want a one pot meal, add some more water to the tomatoes and cook the pasta right in the soup.

The leftovers will thicken and it becomes even better the next day!
lilired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #387
veggie_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilired View Post
This is something my mom always made -- it's a simple pasta fagiole recipe and it's something my kids (5, 3 and 18months) will always eat!

In a pot put one can of diced tomatoes, one can of garbanzo beans, 2 cans of water, and 3 cloves of chopped garlic (we like a lot of garlic!). Let simmer for about 20 minutes. Toss with cooked spaghetti, salt, pepper and some parm cheese. Quick and easy!

If you want a one pot meal, add some more water to the tomatoes and cook the pasta right in the soup.

The leftovers will thicken and it becomes even better the next day!
This sounds great! I love garbanzos, and always have them on hand! Thanx, mama!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #388
HowBoutThat
Banned

My Mood:

Here is an easy kid-friendly dinner.

Take a package of hotdogs, slice them open length wise (Just cut deep enough that you don't slice it completely in half)
Lay them open on cooking pan
Make mashed potatoes and top the hotdogs with them
Put a slice of velveeta or sliced cheese on top
Bake at 375 till cheese is melted

Sounds kinda odd-but tastes very good!
HowBoutThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #389
briana-d
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

turkey day cassarole
)layer in a dish as listed
box of stuffing mix (dry)
can of cranberry sauce
browned ground turkey
1/2 can of premade gravy or make your own
mashed potatoes (i use instant)
dot with butter on top cooke for about 45 minutes in 350 oven or until brown on top serve with left over gravy....yummy!!!
briana-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #390
lovinclothmama
Registered Users

I didn't see this one so sorry if I missed it. Not sure exactly how much it costs because I do it with sale items or store brand so price will vary..

Sheppards Pie
Ground beef (enough needed for family we use 1 lb.)
mixed veggies
mushroom gravy
Mashed Potatoes

Brown ground beef.. Doesn't have to be completely cooked just close to. Layer bottom of baking pan (9x13 here) with meat then add veggies and gravy and stir. Add enough gravy to make it moist and saucy. Make mashed potatoes (can be homemade or spuds i prefer homemade) then spread on top of mixture. Bake until potatoes are golden and serve!! I LOVE this stuff so does my picky LO