Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #431
STK2
Registered Users
Formerly: t** **s
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Seeing as there are 43 pages I didn't get to look at all of them, but I will go back, look, and try some of these I am always looking for something new to cook!!
My family is big on just plain ol' Tuna Helper!!! DH doesn't like Hamburger Helper but I say tuna is cheaper than ground beef and the kids love it!!!
One of my favorite foods as a kid was Mashed Potatoes, Hot Dogs, and Cheese!!
This is so easy and kids like it!!
Mashed potatoes--what you would normally do for your family plus a little extra
Hot dogs 1 package
4 slices of Cheese
All you do is cook the hotdogs and cut them into fourths- once long ways and once in half
Put 1/2 potatoes in a casserole dish, place 1/2 the hotdogs on top of the potatoes, repeat one time, place cheese on top of hotdogs. Place dish in the oven on broil and melt the cheese!! And you are done!!
Mom would always make peas to go with this dish!!

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #432
angeljolt
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't know if this has been posted as I haven't read through all the yummy recipes. But here's mine...

BBQ Pizza

1 pizza crust (I use thin crust)
1 container of bbq beef(or chicken or pork or leftover roastbeef covered in your fav bbq sauce)
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
1 onion (optional)

I rub olive oil on the crust and then cover with bbq beef top with cheese and I sometimes add onion. Bake according to pizza crust package until done. SUPPER YUMMY and hubby's fav!
angeljolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #433
momahen07
Registered Users

My Mood:

yum i cant wait to try both of those
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeljolt View Post
I don't know if this has been posted as I haven't read through all the yummy recipes. But here's mine...

BBQ Pizza

1 pizza crust (I use thin crust)
1 container of bbq beef(or chicken or pork or leftover roastbeef covered in your fav bbq sauce)
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
1 onion (optional)

I rub olive oil on the crust and then cover with bbq beef top with cheese and I sometimes add onion. Bake according to pizza crust package until done. SUPPER YUMMY and hubby's fav!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STK2 View Post
Seeing as there are 43 pages I didn't get to look at all of them, but I will go back, look, and try some of these I am always looking for something new to cook!!
My family is big on just plain ol' Tuna Helper!!! DH doesn't like Hamburger Helper but I say tuna is cheaper than ground beef and the kids love it!!!
One of my favorite foods as a kid was Mashed Potatoes, Hot Dogs, and Cheese!!
This is so easy and kids like it!!
Mashed potatoes--what you would normally do for your family plus a little extra
Hot dogs 1 package
4 slices of Cheese
All you do is cook the hotdogs and cut them into fourths- once long ways and once in half
Put 1/2 potatoes in a casserole dish, place 1/2 the hotdogs on top of the potatoes, repeat one time, place cheese on top of hotdogs. Place dish in the oven on broil and melt the cheese!! And you are done!!
Mom would always make peas to go with this dish!!
Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #434
Boots
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkicaligirl View Post
one of my favorite creations, also works well with boneless thighs. I generally have everything except the lemon and chicken already on hand. Serve with steamed rice and seasonal vegies.

Takeout style lemon chicken

Ingredients
for chicken:
4 boneless chicken breasts ($1.75lb on sale)
2 tbsp corn starch
1 egg (.20)
a few dashes salt and pepper
oil for frying
Lemon sauce:
juice of 1 lemon (.50)
1 c. water
1/3 c sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
few dashes of salt
2 tbsp corn starch

Directions
pound chicken breasts out until even
heat 1/4" of oil in frying pan
In a small bowl beat the egg with corn starch and salt and pepper
dredge chicken in mixure and add to frying pan. cook until done, set aside
For sauce:
in a small sauce pan add lemon, water and sugar bring to a boil stirring occasionally until sugar is desolved, reduce heat to low simmer
add vinegar and pinch of salt
in a separate bown mix 2 tbsp corn starch with 2 tbsp cold water until smooth. slowly pour into lemon mixture and stir until thickened.
To serve:
slice chicken into strips and pour sauce over, serve immediately. For a prettier presentation paper thin lemon slices can be used as garnish

Adjust sauce to taste by adding more vinegar if necessary (I prefer mine a little tangier so I add a little more than is called for)
Thank you thank you thank you for this recipe!!! This is now one of our staples and every time I make this for someone they cant stop talking about how good it is!!
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #435
brookesmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

These recipes are awesom thanks so much, I wish i had some to add to these but unfortunately I dont have any that arent already listed. This was a great help to me because i have a two year old daughter with a lot of allergies and we didnt have many ideas it will be nice to change up the menu.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #436
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots View Post
Thank you thank you thank you for this recipe!!! This is now one of our staples and every time I make this for someone they cant stop talking about how good it is!!
you are very welcome!!! that made my day.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #437
RebeccaMomof3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK I have made it to page 34 of this awesome thread and have not seen one of my favourites...

I boil 4 pks of ramen noodles (I don't use the flavour pack - you can save it for something else) I get these 4 for $1 at the dollar store

half a pkg of ground meat (whatever works best for you)

2 cans of condensed tomato soup (I buy the spicy stuff when I can find it)
1 large chopped onion
dash of oil in pan
Red Pepper flakes/chili powder/whatever spices you have
1 squirt of yellow prepared mustard

Saute onion in pan with spices, add meat after about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, Boil noodles in water (2 minutes). When meat is done cooking, drain and add tomato soup cans (no water...you COULD do 1 can of soup and 1 can of water - perhaps with a dash of tomato paste - if you prefer) and stir to warm soup. Add a generous squirt of yellow prepared mustard (the regular stuff you put on hot dogs; don't ask why, it just makes it taste great lol)
Drain noodles, add sauce and meat mixture to noodles, stir and toss well to cover noodles and serve.

This makes 2 big dishes, feeds my family of 4 (there are 5 of us but baby doesn't eat any) with leftovers enough for all of us to have in our lunch the next day. You could use a whole pkg of meat if you want, but the sauce is nice and thick with using the 2 cans of soup and no water, so it coats the noodles well! I usually make meatballs out of the other half, or fry it up with some onions and toss the cooked meat in the freezer to use another time.

This seriously takes less then 15 minutes to get on the table.
RebeccaMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #438
MeganBeth
Registered Users
Formerly: Xanders Mommy
seller

My Mood:

Depending on the price of ground beef in your area this should be 5.00 or less!

Busy Day Stew
1lb ground beef
up to 1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1 can tomato soup
1 can milk/water

Brown the beef and season as you like, add the tomato soup and add 1 can of milk or water however you like your tomato soup then add as much of the bag of frozen veggies as you like. Let it cook until the soup is hot and the veggies are done. We used to serve it at the daycare I worked at with buttered bread.

You could substitute the ground beef for about any meat you'd like i'd think!

Meg, Wife to Ray 09-07-07. Mama to X 01-19-07 & L 12-12-09
Three Men and A Mommy-Now with Giveaways!
What's UP Top Hats and More!

MeganBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #439
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got this off the back of the stuffing box and we tried it w/o chicken since I didn't have any.

You'll need (cheaper without the meat)

1 box savory herbs stuffing mix
1 small bag froz mixed veggies
chopped uncooked chicken (optional)
1 can cream of chicken
1/4 cup sour cream

Cook stuffing mix according to directions. Then (in an 8 x 8 pan) mix sour cream, cream of chicken (add NO water), add veggies and chicken (if used). Then top with stuffing mix and bake at 450 for 30min or until chicken/veggies are cooked thru. Delicious and cheap! I served w/brown n bake rolls.

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 11-23-2008 at 08:07 PM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #440
KAT27
Registered Users

Breakfast-usually always under $5

Chicken Divan: chicken (quarter or canned)$2, I head of brocolli (when in season) $0.88 and mushroom soup$ 0.50 and fettucine noodles $0.50, sprinkle parmesan cheese $0.50(?)--$4.33

Loaded Chili Potatoes: 4lrg Potatoes $1.25, Can chili $1.25, 1/2 bunch gr onion $0.25, 1/4 tub sour cream$0.50 & shredded cheese$0.75 ---$4.00

Noodle Bowls: 2 pkg Ramen noodles $0.60, 1/2gr pepper $0.50, Chicken (canned or quarter)$2, 1/2 onion $0.10, 1/4c bbq sweet & sour sauce $0.25--$3.45
KAT27 is offline   Reply With Quote