Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #551
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

Easy Alfredo sauce over fettuccine noodles

2 cups heavy whipping cream [Walmart brand $1.68ish]
1 small package grated parm cheese [Walmart brand $1.98ish]
2 TBSP butter/margarine [pennies to change? Maybe .40]
1 tsp [or more depending on like] of minced garlic [I buy the big jar so pennies again].
1 box fettuccine noodles [$1.00 Walmart brand]

melt butter, sautee garlic [don't let it get brown]
Add in 2 cups of heavy cream, warm [never bring to a boil]
Add entire pack of parm cheese
Keep stirring until thickened.

Serve over cooked noodles
We sometimes add cooked cut up chicken into the sauce, or you can add broccoli or whatever you like

this recipe feeds my family of four and generally has some leftovers

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #552
mybabies
Registered Users

Smile Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

subscribing to this thread! Great ideas here!
mybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #553
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking about this thread and this meal earlier today. It should be under $5 IF you make your own pie crust - which I don't usually do, but I'm going to start. Would be a great way to use up leftover veggies, leftover chicken, and you could even add some potatoes if you want.

And here is the recipe - Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

* 2 (9 inch) deep dish frozen pie crusts, thawed
* 1 bag frozen mixed veggies (or fresh, or canned, whatever you have)
* 2 cups cooked, diced chicken breast
* 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup (I would think you can definitely substitute homemade cream soup to be healthier - recipe here, and it will be even cheaper)
* 1/4 cup milk
* dash of tabasco sauce (I used 3 dashes, you can't taste it but it was recommended)
* any spices you like (PEPPER for sure, Mrs Dash, onion powder, garlic powder, rosemary, whatever you want)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Put half of crust in bottom of a pie pan and bake for 10 minutes.
2. In a bowl combine the mixed vegetables (if frozen, I partially cook them in the microwave first), chicken, cream soup and milk. Pour mixture into the partially baked pie crust. Turn the other crust over and pop out of the tin onto the top of the filled pie. Seal the edges and poke holes in top crust.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

This is SO GOOD. I was skeptical, but after I made it I couldn't wait to eat the leftovers, lol. The filling is easily enough to fill TWO pies - you could freeze one for another time.

Last edited by sasra_nu; 07-23-2010 at 05:12 PM.
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #554
mason825
Registered Users
seller

Mexican Casserole:

1 pound of ground beef
Mexican shredded cheese
Taco seasoning
Potatoes (about 2 med)
Frozen corn, peas, or whatever veggies you have on hand (i always use corn) (about a cup or two)
Box of cornbread mix (im pretty sure this takes 1 egg and a bit of maybe milk)

Preheat oven to 350
Peel and cube potatoes, boil until soft. Drain.
Brown ground beef, don't drain. Mix in the taco seasoning.
In an oven safe dish (we use an 8x8 pyrex glass dish) put the seasoned ground beef in
Smush the potatoes a bit in a bowl with a spoon or fork, then place on top of the beef in a layer.
Add a layer of the mexican cheese, then a layer of frozen veggies
Add another layer of cheese
Mix up the cornbread mix as directed on the box, adding about a Tbsp of sugar
Pour cornbread mix on top of other ingredients, bake until cornbread is cooked through.
I will serve DD and mine with some plain greek yogurt or sour cream on top, DH doesn't like either, so he eats his plain.
Yum....
mason825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #555
Zpatrol
Registered Users
seller

Crockpot Chicken n dumplings

Cubed chicken breasts, 2 cans cream of chicken soup, 1/4 onion chopped finely, 2 cups water, 1 chicken bouillon cube, 2 cans of grands biscuits. Combine all except for biscuits cook for 5 hours. Add quartered biscuits half hour before serving.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #556
hcokasil
Registered Users
seller
seller

for dinner last night we had:
chicken (About a pound, but the hubs is a BIG guy and i like to make enough for him to have it for lunch the next day)
chopped zucchini (which was free from the neighbors garden)
copped broccoli
chopped onions
a few mushrooms (i didn't have many on hand, i would have loved more)
about a clove or two of garlic
2 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
1 cup of milk (or cream, or sour cream, whatever you have on hand)
brown rice
you just...
cube the cooked chicken (i have fried it in a pan or baked it, i suppose you could even use canned)
cook all the veggies until soft.
meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauce pan, stir in the flour and cook until just boiling for about 3-5 min (to get the flour taste out) add the garlic and milk, once it starts boiling pour over the veggies, cooked chicken and cooked brown rice and stir it all up. Super yummy and easy.
i will make this with basically whatever we have on hand, actually last night i also added fresh green beans and that was super good, but the veggies vary and sometimes we use whole wheat noodles instead of rice and you can use ground beef instead of chicken, we just don't eat much beef around here...
Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #557
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcokasil View Post
for dinner last night we had:
chicken (About a pound, but the hubs is a BIG guy and i like to make enough for him to have it for lunch the next day)
chopped zucchini (which was free from the neighbors garden)
copped broccoli
chopped onions
a few mushrooms (i didn't have many on hand, i would have loved more)
about a clove or two of garlic
2 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
1 cup of milk (or cream, or sour cream, whatever you have on hand)
brown rice
you just...
cube the cooked chicken (i have fried it in a pan or baked it, i suppose you could even use canned)
cook all the veggies until soft.
meanwhile, melt the butter in a sauce pan, stir in the flour and cook until just boiling for about 3-5 min (to get the flour taste out) add the garlic and milk, once it starts boiling pour over the veggies, cooked chicken and cooked brown rice and stir it all up. Super yummy and easy.
i will make this with basically whatever we have on hand, actually last night i also added fresh green beans and that was super good, but the veggies vary and sometimes we use whole wheat noodles instead of rice and you can use ground beef instead of chicken, we just don't eat much beef around here...
I made this tonight, and it was wonderful!! Thanks so much!
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #558
besthealthyself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a fabulous thread this is! So many recipes, I don't know where to begin! : )
besthealthyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #559
themummy2
Registered Users

My Mood:

Salmon - great for daily Omega3.

Cut into 0.5oz - 1oz pieces. If you buy a large piece from Costco, it'll cost only about $3 per piece on average.

- sprinkle salt & pepper to taste
- sautee at 2mins each side, then let it sit covered in aluminium foil for 5mins to preserve moisture and cook slowly on the inside.
- serve with rice or potatoes or green beans
themummy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #560
pink5
Registered Users

My Mood:

I make "arroz con pollo" all the time, but never made it this way. I love it! Thanks for a fresh look on a family-favorite meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopka7224 View Post
OK I wanted to start this thread to get some new cheap meal ideas. I see that there are several mamas on this board trying to cut costs in the grocery dept. So if you have a family fav that is inexpensive please share! It can be a twist on plain on hamburger helper! Doesn't matter, just share a cheap dinner your family loves!

I'll start....

Chicken and yellow rice

Boil 2 chicken quarters (maybe $2 tops) in about 6-8 cups of water. Until meat is cooked through, about 30-45 minutes. Remove meat from bone in small pieces. Add 1 family size package of yellow/saffron rice($2) into the same water that you cooked the chicken in. Simmer till rice is tender. I usually serve with Sweet corn muffins (.25 a box plus 1 egg and milk) And a can of baby peas. Feeds 4 or more!! MY DH will eat 2 or 3 bowls! It is his fav dinner.
pink5 is offline   Reply With Quote