Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
poppys_mommy
Registered Users

No poopy diapers, how lazy can I be washing the wet ones?

If my diapers are just wet (urine only), is it reasonable to just wash/dry like the rest of our clothes? I'm thinking hot wash with detergent, cold rinse. (Poopy would be washed immediately.) What about washing with other clothes or should I keep them separate? Does that need to be done every 2 days or could it go longer since it's just wet? Would a week be ok?

We just switched to cloth a couple of weeks ago as a trial and my partially potty trained baby has yet to poop in one (whew) but I'm getting caught up with logistics. All this washing cold, then hot then double rinse is too time consuming (w/d is outside so I have to stop what I'm doing and gather the baby up to change cycles.) Plus, she's using fewer diapers so I don't want to run a load with several cycles with only 4 diapers in it.

Ideally, I'll wash often, but I'm trying to figure out how lazy I *could* be if needed -- that will determine if doing cloth is realistic for my family or if I should return my trial pack or CDs. Thanks!

Advertisement

poppys_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
southernbelle04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: No poopy diapers, how lazy can I be washing the wet ones?

I would be afraid that I'd start to have stink issues if I let the diapers sit for a week. The longer urine sits, the higher the ammonia. The higher the ammonia, the more it stinks.

P.S. I don't do a cold wash; just a cold rinse, then hot wash with extra rinse. My wash routine isn't complicated at all.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
sUpermOm81
Do not B/T with. Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ if involved in a transaction.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle04 View Post
I would be afraid that I'd start to have stink issues if I let the diapers sit for a week. The longer urine sits, the higher the ammonia. The higher the ammonia, the more it stinks.

P.S. I don't do a cold wash; just a cold rinse, then hot wash with extra rinse. My wash routine isn't complicated at all.
Me too, and I sometimes forget the last rinse
Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
knotfabulous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think for just wet dipes you could skip the initial rinse since that is really to get poop out. The final extra rinse is to make sure you don't have detergent buildup. You could probably get away with skipping it sometimes if you aren't using too much detergent and use a high enough water level. I used to skip it but my diapers started getting slightly stinky so I added the extra rinse and they are stink free now. I would say every other wash at least you should do the extra rinse. I would not wash with your regular clothes because you are supposed to use about 1/4 of the normal amount of detergent. Otherwise you will definitely get build up which will cause stink!

Not sure about leaving a week. I go two days with both wet and poopy and they are ok.

Since you aren't going through so many diapers you might consider a disposable inner like the grobaby biosoakers or gdiapers. You can wash the gdiaper covers with your regular laundry and probably the gro babies too although I am not positive about that.
knotfabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
knotfabulous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

and like pp said, my wash routine is pretty easy. Just cold rinse (no detergent no "wash") hot wash with detergent with cold rinse and then one extra cold rinse. And I occasionally skip the extra rinse.
knotfabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
m2veleck
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sUpermOm81 View Post
Me too, and I sometimes forget the last rinse
Me, too. I guess I better start doing that... though I haven't had any stink issues. I'm CDing a 7 week old and I wash either every other day or every 2 days. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
JMac
Registered Users

My Mood:

I usually still wash every 2-3 days if no poop, however I skip the first rinse. If I can't squeeze any bubbles out of the inserts then I skip the last rinse too!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
amehrkens
Registered Users
seller

I would still do the first rinse otherwise if you think about it you are washing them in pee water! I would only go about 3 days or you are going to have stink issues. My LO is still EBF and only poos about 3 times a week so my dipes are mainly just pee dipes and I try to wash every other day.
I rinse cold, wash hot, and rinse on hot, I use about 1 tablespoon of tide, and I dry in the dryer.
amehrkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
poppys_mommy
Registered Users

Sounds like I shouldn't CD until I own a washer/dryer and a house to put them in so they're convenient to access.... 5 trips outside (in the rain today) a few times per week doesn't sound like something I'll stick with.

I guess it's just equivalent to 2 loads of laundry (time-wise) but that's an extra 6 loads of laundry per week (3 actual loads, basically run twice) -- yikes! I thought if I could make it equal to just an extra load or two, then it'd be reasonable to attempt. Maybe we'll have a house by the next kid.

Thanks!
poppys_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
JMac
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppys_mommy View Post
Sounds like I shouldn't CD until I own a washer/dryer and a house to put them in so they're convenient to access.... 5 trips outside (in the rain today) a few times per week doesn't sound like something I'll stick with.

I guess it's just equivalent to 2 loads of laundry (time-wise) but that's an extra 6 loads of laundry per week (3 actual loads, basically run twice) -- yikes! I thought if I could make it equal to just an extra load or two, then it'd be reasonable to attempt. Maybe we'll have a house by the next kid.

Thanks!
If you are having to pay to wash/dry then I personally wouldn't do it. I bet sposies would come out much chepaer than using a laundromat.