Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
I need a GOOD breastfed babies weight/growth chart...

Anyone have a link?

I have one in mind but I cannot find it.

After a tumultuous day at the pediatrician's office and a (gentle) tongue lashing about Kate's weight gain I am certain that they are basing it off of a formula fed chart.

Kate was born at 7#12 and at 16 months (this past Saturday) is at 21#8.

According to the chart they were using it is putting her in the 20th percentile. She was EBF and according to the 2 charts (though not the one that I was looking for) she is not that low on the curve.

OK enough out of me...I swear the one I was using was linked on kellymom but I cannot find it now. It had lots of curves and went beyond 12 months.

TIA.

Please excuse my ramblings...it has been a LONG day. -sigh-

Advertisement

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Powersmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need a GOOD breastfed babies weight/growth chart...

My baby is 16 months and just barely 18 lbs and 30 in. My doctor wasn't too concerned. They said she didn't weigh very much for her age. Your daughter's weight sounds fine. Sorry I can't help about a link. Doctors are crazy about the weight thing.
Powersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mama. I am not overly concerned but I have a follow up appointment and I wanted to take it an applicable (IMO) chart for them to look at.

This is Kate's 1st trip to the doctor EVER so I think they were also up in arms with me over that to begin with.

Oy...ok I have yet to decompress the day so again, please forgive me.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Wait -- if this was her first visit to a doctor, how can they lay into you about weight gain? They don't have her previous weights! That weight is perfectly perfect for a 16 month old.

I think you're looking for the WHO charts, but they are largely the same as the CDC charts after 12 months. It's the beginning and middle of the curves that look different.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I use the WHO charts for DD (who was exclusively breastfed until she started really eating solids around 7-8 months old, and is still nursing frequently now) and she's 20.4 pounds, which puts her at 9.25 kilograms and just above the 15th percentile (at 18.5 months old). I'm happy with it.

Here are links to the WHO growth charts. Choose the link for what you want to measure, then there will be more options for boys and girls. http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As long as she meets milestones and doesnt lose weight I wouldnt worry about any charts imo. I went through this with dd.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-MaeMama View Post
As long as she meets milestones and doesnt lose weight I wouldnt worry about any charts imo. I went through this with dd.
This - our ped doesn't even use charts. He asks how she eats, what she drinks (she has a dairy allergy) and how her activity level is.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Hitchkids
Registered Users

This is a situation where I would see if your husband can go with you to the next appointment or simply take your daughter himself. Sadly we have learned in the past that once you go against the mainstream, some doctors will look for reasons to get on your case. Our previous pediatrician started in with the same things with our last baby. After dealing with her for a few visits, my husband took our son in for a final appointment, let the doctor know we would be leaving their office to see a doctor who was more in line with our beliefs, had the records transferred and chewed the doctor out for failing to treat me with any respect. Yes, it got kind of bad. Given that experience, I would have your husband go with you if at all possible because for some reason at times they are treated better than mom's are. I hope you are able to resolve this situation with your doctor easily. We now see a wonderful pediatrician who respects us as parents, understands that not every child will be above the 50th percentile on the charts and who is not pushy at all. It's made a huge difference for me as a parent because I no longer get stressed out over the thought of taking the kids to the doctor wondering what I'm going to get a lecture about this time.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Hitchkids...he was there with me.

There is alot more going on than just her weight gain but I appreciate everyone's advice/concern.