View Poll Results: How many diapers do you wash at once/what water level do you use?
Less than 10/Medium water level 9 5.14%
Less than 10/Large water level 3 1.71%
11-20/Large water lever 73 41.71%
11-20/XL or Super water level 73 41.71%
other (please specifiy) 17 9.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #31
jennyzzz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Wash Routine Q's :0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade81 View Post
try baking soda in the initial wash...it will help with the stink. it might be the detergent you are using that is causing the rash when kept on over night. try double rinsing after a load to make sure it is all out.
Do you have to add vinegar to the rinse if you use baking soda? I've read that elsewhere...

Advertisement

jennyzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #32
patmaeg
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the same issues, I tried vinegar and then it was a little better. Now I use peroxide.

Cold soak with 3/4 C peroxide, large water
Hot wash 7th generation, cold rinse, cold rinse again.
Now I have no more ammonia what so ever!

Last edited by patmaeg; 03-09-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo
patmaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #33
picklesmama
Registered Users
seller

I have a large capacity top loader, and wash about 2 dozen at a time on average, but when she was smaller, I have done a load as large as 30 newborn dipes. I use regular Tide and she's over a year now and never had any stink. My routine is cold pre-wash, hot wash/cold rinse, 2nd cold rinse.

Whidbey Island CDing Families My ISO & IHA
picklesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #34
ClothDiaperMyBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the only thing that I have found to get rid of stink is Tide. I wash about 15-20 dipes at a time. these include fitteds, pockets, covers and the inserts. I tried ALOT of different detergents but none never worked for me. Tide has been my one true love haha!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #35
Judesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If he's getting a rash I recommend stripping you diapers especially one's with mircrofiber. What works for me when that happens with DS's diapers (usually after hes had a bad cold and yucky poo's) is one scoop oxy clean, with 1 cup vinegar, and hot water, soak for 30 minutes then run through a wash cycle. No detergent.

Also I throw in about a 1/2 cup of vinegar to every wash for stink
Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #36
bluemoonbutterfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hope you are able to figure it out. I tired all different kinds of diapers and did not like having to do extra washing and rinsing. Still having stinkie issues and then taking so long to dry. I found flat and this is where I am going to stay. Pre-rinse, wash(cold water) and if I use baking soda and vineger(which is not every time) extra rinse. Last night was diaper night and I had 26 flats, 3 hemp inserts and wipes. Washed on Super and that was 4 days of diapers. No stinkies and every thing comes out clean. Dry time is super fast less than 20 minutes or I hang them up in the house and by morning they are dry. Most of the time I just fold them like a insert and lay them in a thirsties cover. I guess I am just all about simple. LO has yet to have a rash. Good luck in finding what works for you.

Last edited by bluemoonbutterfly; 03-09-2010 at 01:12 PM.
bluemoonbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #37
litlckrets
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't help with the stink issues as we have them, too. My local CD store owner recommended I try Thirsties Laundry Detergent. That's my next step.

I can help with the rash cream. We use Grandma El's (after trying a few other CD friendly creams) and this stuff is awesome! I always put it on at night b/c my son still poops at night about 75% of the time. It keeps rashes away. It seems to clear up any rash problems we've had within a day or two. I got an awesome deal when I bought - 50% from BabyHalfOff.com (but they do daily deals and it's not the deal today). It looks like you can buy the stuff from Target and Babies R Us as well as some places online, too.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #38
4my2loves
Registered Users
seller

don't have time to read the whole thread and I'm sure someone has written our routine already :-D But we use mothers love diaper rash and thrush cream and it is wonderful as a rash cream, esp if it is from yeast. It should be safe for dipes also, we used it with our BG AIO (the organic cotton ones). I used allen's naturally, and preferred the liquid. Used a little more detergent and it got rid of stinkies. :-) HTH
4my2loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #39
Miles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Vinegar in my wash when I have smell issues works awesome! as for the water level we have an energy star washer, so what happens is you put in what you want to wash and it will do the water level based on that. Also I switched to a free and clear detergent which has helped a ton as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #40
bellybellybuttons
Registered Users
Formerly: boobybaby
seller
seller

My Mood:

We did natural Charlies, stink, did RG stink and turned to 1/4-1/2 scoop of original scent Tide depending on the load size and lots of water xl load for our 20-30 dipes, xtra rinse hang dry inside and no more stinkies.

I also "save" the poo diapers till I have at least three of them, and wash those first in a small quick wash load w/Tide separately from the entire load then add them to the big load of diapers.

I don't like to wash pee dipes with the dirty poo dipes, kinda hard to expect clean dipes if you wash with dirty poopy water. 8 months and no stink.

IMHO
Good luck mama.

Last edited by bellybellybuttons; 03-09-2010 at 02:07 PM.
bellybellybuttons is offline   Reply With Quote