Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: tips for getting toddler to stay in bed

I had this SAME nightmare for the longest time with dd. She was climbing out of her crib and that's why we moved to the toddler bed in the first place. Given that climbing tendency, no baby gate on this earth would have contained her.

We tried the emotionless putting-her-back routine--yeah, it seriously went on for 3+ hours for several nights. She thought it was hilarious. I tried laying right next to her bed so she wouldn't get out. Again, hilarious. Then we did the closed door thing (yep, I did ). She would turn on her light and play, play, play. That was us giving up. But then she would stay up until literally 11 or 12 and fall asleep in pathetic places and positions. We would just go in and put her in bed.

We FINALLY discovered the solution for our family after about 4 or 5 months of complete hell. We read to her for half an hour and then we leave her door open and light on for her to "read" for half an hour. The rule is that she has to stay in her bed or we'll turn off the light and close the door. That only happened once or twice and then she started to believe us. Turns out, I think, she just didn't like being separated from what we were doing (we tend to just be reading or chatting at night). So we give her some time to wind down and then we turn on an audio book (she's obsessed with the Usborne Complete Book of Farmyard Tales) and she's totally cool with staying in bed. It has been beautiful.

Good luck and my heart really, really, really goes out to you. Oh, those months felt so hopeless.

Adrienne, wife and lover to Andrew Mama to Simon (2/21/06 - 2/26/06), Norah (6/28/07), Ezra (5/11/10), and Phoebe (6/14/12).
NorahsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Any tips/tricks to get DC to stay in their bed/room? So far we've avoided locking her in her room, because for some reason that just seems wrong to me, but i'm starting to seriously consider it. What else can we try?

We had to resolve to locking our dd in her room. NO way would a baby get work for our Monkey. We would stick to our routine and read her a book then but her down. Sometimes we would leave the light on. It took about a month from start to finish. Yes, she first started getting out and coming into our room and then went to sleeping on her bedroom floor to now she's hoping into her bed and sleeping in it all night. It's just consistency, soon they figure it all out. It will happen, believe me, don't give up! Good luck!
Wife 09/06, and Mom to GirlBabyr02/08 BoyBabyr 10/09 and GirlBabyr 09/11 and #4 :Girlbabyr 08/13
clothdipemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
Registered Users

When DS was in a toddler bed, he was getting up all the time, not going to bed, fighting it, etc. If he woke up in the middle of the night, we just let him climb in with us, no biggie. When we got our king bed, he got our old bed in his room (full sized), and started going to bed without a fight. I think he didn't like the toddler bed because he was used to our regular height/sized bed. He would even go into our (empty) bed to take naps.
Melissa, wife to my HS sweetheart Andrew since 2005 and mommy to Gavin, born 12/2007 and Jacob born 2/2015
_meliska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
angel nee nee
Registered Users
My Mood:

we will be working on this with my two year old here sometime soon too and we will probably have a big hard time.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote